BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:58 pm

KClass

KClass
My cooling fan is either fried or stuck. The local BMR mechanic spun it a few times to see if it might loosen it up, no luck so I am moving to R&R it. It has'nt been a problem, as normal riding on road no observed overheating.

Found a used one on e-bay for $95.00 so plan to change it it out.

Any suggestions on this issue and planned replacement?

2Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:54 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
whilst getting in there to do repairs, clean up the fan connector behind the radiator ...often found to be an issue ..you maybe lucky if you dissasemble the fan, just some lubrication may free it up .

try and find some deoxit ...commonly found at pro music shops ...its great stuff for cleaning up all electrical connections .

welcome aboard

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:02 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
KClass wrote:My cooling fan is either fried or stuck. The local BMR mechanic spun it a few times to see if it might loosen it up, no luck so I am moving to R&R it. It has'nt been a problem, as normal riding on road no observed overheating.

The fan is a commonly failing component of these bikes because it is always bombarded by road dirt, the sleeve bearing in the motor consequently gets seized from this grime and the poorly designed brush holders in the motor melt from current overload when the motor won't turn. Hopefully, you've just managed to catch it in time to avoid the melted brush holders. If you have, then cleaning and lubricating the motor bearings might breathe new life into the fan. If not, your only choice is replacing the fan. There is a document in the download section on heat management techniques for the K-bikes. In that document which I assembled, I included a couple of articles on how to replace the OEM fan with a modern brushless DC fan available at almost any auto repair / accessory store. The replacement fan will probably work better, last longer and be cheaper than the OEM fan. One trick I saw someone do was put a dollop of JB Weld on the radiator fins just in front of the fan's axle. Ostensibly, it was to prevent the fan from drilling its way through the radiator but it also protected the sleeve bearing from debris.

4Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This document could also be helpful.

5Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:39 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
KClass wrote:

you´ve got a typical K damage . usually K75 owners are more often strucked because of the "not in use" effect.

Forget used stuff
get the Bosch engine new and follow the instruction Inge just posted
and clean the cooler inside & outside - use the bathtub for that but be shure your "best part" has other things to do - far away

more see: K- WIKI
in your case : BMW group 17 / cooling
but first: RTFM

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

7Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 am

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
KClass beemer bone yard in NJ has new fan motors. Much better then a used setup. I has to change mine out at the national rally 2 years ago and it is not a problem. They have them in stock.

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.
And a load of K100 projects and parts.

8Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty FAN Repair/Replacement Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:58 pm

KClass

KClass
First, mea culpa for the delay in getting back to this and your suggestions. I was preoccupied with snow blowers and ice melt the last few months...

With just a few snow piles remaining I rolled the bike out in 25 F and took her for a 25 miler...so I am back on point to finish the maint items. At least yesterday a non working fan was'nt a problem.

Based on the posts I have some good options, thanks for the suggestions and links all were good to consider.

At this point I am pretty confident that the brushes are fryed. I had a few times in traffic last summer where the bike was stopped and the hot light flashed so the fan is not working...

I have the Haynes Manual and plan to either replace the motor or complete fan assembly. Based on my local Bemmer shop it sounds like a several hour project. If there is anyone who has done this project and can impart their experiance on the best R&R steps, other suggested maint while I replace the fan please pass it along....

9Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:08 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
You will have no problems with a naked bike.

Drain the coolant.
Unplug tank power
Unscrew fuel lines. They are under pressure and will spill fuel
Remove the tank.
Remove the radiator cowl.
Unscrew the filler cap from the frame
Undo the other two hoses where they connect to the radiator
One screw hidden at the top of the radiator holds it to the frame
Unplug the fan clip just around the fan motor.
Lift the radiator, wiggle and tug it away from the hoses.
Spill the remaining contents of the radiator on your legs and garage floor.
Unscrew the fan.
Reverse process to re install

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

10Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Undo the negative battery terminal first, gets rid of any chance of a spark in spilt fuel.
I just took my fuel hoses off after 2 days of not riding and there was hardly any squirt in the hose, but the tank will drain fuel out of the return line spiggot if it leans to the left. Join both fuel pipes together with a piece of fuel hose, one end on each pipe, stops leakage as you move it. Hmmm what is that oily stain on Mother in law's front porch. Rolling Eyes
RT

11Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:56 pm

KClass

KClass
Thanks for the check lists...

12Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
rossko wrote:You will have no problems with a naked bike.

Drain the coolant.
Remove fuse #6 (fuel pump).
Start and idle the engine, untill it stops.
Unplug tank power
Unscrew fuel lines. They are under pressure and will spill fuel
Remove the tank.
Etc..............

13Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
I replaced my fan a few years ago after a few episodes of overheat light coming on. I did a lot of miles before a hot summer day caused the problem to be apparent.

My search took me to above links and from memory you will find the Bosch still has the motor on their books. Also Bosch used these fans in cars as internal fans for air cons and climate control so they are not rare.

The major difference between NEW and OLD versions seems to be in the way the brushes and bearings are mounted. I think that they also improved the bearing mechanics. BTW they supposed to spin at 4100 rpm, so a free spinning system is needed for effective cooling, at least during hot summer days.

Naked bike? YES! Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

14Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you need a new fam motor here is the place http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=fan+motor
He also has lots of other goodies ar quite reasonable prices.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

15Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:44 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Well done Mark!

Great photos and great instructions!

Post a report after a few weeks to see how things are going please.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

16Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:16 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Following similar advice, I bought a new fan motor from Euromotoelectrics. Resurrecting the original bearings would have been possible, but not the melted brush carriers!

Advice given by others above is correct from my experience as well. Having an RT, fairing removal had to be done, so more work than a naked bike. Needed fairing off for other work anyway, so no extra in this case for me.

Just another witness to the value of this forum and its helpful experts.  Very Happy

Cheers,

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

17Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:37 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Hi,

Firstly I will confess my failure incase you are thinking the same thing....

Replacing the Cooling Fan 4327f088440e340607f216a0a5ce3146

Next !!!!!

1.        Buy one of these:-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-0-9A-3100RPM-MIN-Rotary-Speed-2-Wire-Cable-Gear-Motor-/301193482990?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:3160
$AU32 in hand (Brisbane - Australia)
       Remove fan from spigot on original motor. It just pulls off….
2.       Take note of the clearance from the end of the spigot to the flat plain of the housing outer face – see photo.
Replacing the Cooling Fan 93f5192c4758122129b77ec594c80e5b   Replacing the Cooling Fan 27876e743ac5a1f8bf4e0977e5a1d45b

3.       Remove original motor from plastic housing and get rid of the ridges inside the housing so that the new motor fits all the way home. See Photo.  You will have to make a hole at the end of the original housing so that the new wires can come out. (I used a Dermal)
Replacing the Cooling Fan 49e35e7ee4ed74a2c97133cf1a5bc8b1

4.       Once new motor is seated all the way home, and it will fit well. Use a straight edge to work out how much you need to cut off the end of the new motors spigot. See Photo.  Once again I used a Dermal.
Replacing the Cooling Fan F092efc09bc44aa7b19f8321ba658f0a
5.       Drill out the hole in the middle of the fan to allow the new spigot to fit – don’t go to big – it needs to be a tight fit.
Replacing the Cooling Fan Cc5ba305c1fa830d100b504e6573bf36Replacing the Cooling Fan E1084a80f19823f50fdd5e8ae7992249
6.       I used silicon to mount new motor back into original plastic housing, it fits very well – See photo. 

Replacing the Cooling Fan 5d3a0bbcc63252f922f41f5175a3a00a
7.       Push fan onto new spigot – make sure that it can spin freely when fan is placed face down on a flat surface or it may munch into your radiator (not good).
Replacing the Cooling Fan 54efd41e0ded3314c705c484333a1d87 Replacing the Cooling Fan 73f1b74c3ce549befb0de19cbcb25d0e
8.       Be aware of the polarity when reconnecting the wiring – remember you want the fan to SUCK not BLOW, this means you may need to swap the red and the black wires over to get the right air flow direction out of the DC motor.
For those of you that are more Technical than I – note – the new motor is specked at 3100RPM, the original is specked at 4500RPM. If someone sees a big problem with this please let me know, I life in very sunny very hot Brisbane Australia – if anybody is going to have a problem with the slower fan speed then I guess it will be me – I must say though – she really sucks! I do not see a problem.
I hope this helps – I know I had a big problem buying an original motor knowing full well the design is floored to say the least (and no replacement brushes!) Not to mention the cost…….

Keep the shiny side up boys and girls…….

Replacing the Cooling Fan Au-log12
http://www.marksurman.com

18Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:10 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Follow up...

The above Mod works very well.

Please note, you do need to reverse the polarity so the motor sucks and does not blow.....

19Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:06 am

Arlina

Arlina
The only thing that sucks on a K Razz

20Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:45 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I presume the reversal of the polarity is due to the fact that a lot of car cooling fans sit in front of the radiator rather than behind as on the K.......

But in shorter term if you have a fan problem one option is to simply kill the engine as soon as you stop if you are in traffic. I went with no fan on my LT for a long time doing that......admittedly its much cooler here but it worked.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

21Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
The only thing that sucks......
True that......

Turning the motor off did work in winter to a degree (HA HA).....
It will be 35 degrees Celsius today, having no fan is no longer "cool".....

22Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Grizzly

Grizzly
Silver member
Silver member
Crying or Very sad

It would appear that my fan has died today. Probably partly due to loads of salt on the roads and also me riding it quite a lot in the rain before Christmas.

Along with this, the biKe had not really been used 'properly' for the last six years or so not even clocking up a thousand miles in total in that time!

Oh well, looks like a fairly easy job to do. Anything I should look out for when fitting a replacement? I'll most likely be getting one from Motorworks as they are not massively far away from me and it's quite a pleasant ride over there, or at least it should be this time with a properly working clutch cable!

Rolling Eyes

New Motorbike - 1998 Honda ST1100 Pan European ex-police and still without a name yet!

23Back to top Go down   Replacing the Cooling Fan Empty Re: Replacing the Cooling Fan Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Brick fan upgrade ("So these radiator fans are crap.")

I followed this guy's idea and I'm still amazed how much better this simple upgrade works. Easy install and superior to the old-tech OEM unit.

Spal 6.5" puller fan

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum