BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty fixing the oil/water pump seals Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
On one of the French forum, I found a very good article on how to replace the seals on the oil pump.
Meca-syl, the original publisher took a lot of pictures, and I made a web page using them.
Have a look at it Here , it's quite detailed.

Bert

2Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty Re: fixing the oil/water pump seals Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 am

roys

Silver member
Silver member
Crazy Frog wrote:On one of the French forum, I found a very good article on how to replace the seals on the oil pump.
Meca-syl, the original publisher took a lot of pictures, and I made a web page using them.
Have a look at it Here , it's quite detailed.

Bert

thank you bert (and MEca-syl) - I think this is the best explanation I have ever seen on performing a proceedure. The difference is in the number of sequential pics allowing one to get a very good concept of the process. I now actualy feel I can handle task when it comes.

Roy

3Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty Re: fixing the oil/water pump seals Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:02 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Excellent post a definite keeper for sure, well done Bert.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty great! Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Brilliant stuff Bert!
N

5Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty Oil/ water pump Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 pm

michael

michael
Thanks mucho for posting these pics; very helpful. Bert, if I may call you Bert, I'm wondering if you've ever heard of the nut that holds the impeller on, actually snapping off and shooting out through the cover! I've got an 85 K100 with 128,000 miles. A few weeks ago I stopped at my destination, turned off the bike and heard water running under my motor. All the coolant came pouring out; just coolant, no oil mixed in. Any info you have regarding this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Michael

6Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty Re: fixing the oil/water pump seals Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Sorry Michael, but I never heard about this except from you.
In theory, this nut cannot get slack because the centrifugal force has the tendency to lock it. I don't have any explanation.

Bert

7Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty Re: fixing the oil/water pump seals Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:27 pm

michael

michael
Thanks Bert; I'll continue my quest. Again, thanks for the pics--they're going to be a huge help.
Michael

8Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty Re: fixing the oil/water pump seals Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:48 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Michael, I have heard about this and read about it quite a few times. That is the reason BMW changed the design with later bikes where instead of the nut on the end of the shaft they used a bolt into the shaft. Normally the nut (with the threaded end) sheared of the shaft and ground through the cover of the pump. Somehow the impeller seemed to remain on the shaft! For this reason quite a few people change the shaft fo a newer one when they overhaul the pump. Sorry you had to experience that....but you're not the only one!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland fixing the oil/water pump seals Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

9Back to top Go down   fixing the oil/water pump seals Empty Re: fixing the oil/water pump seals Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

michael

michael
Hey Rene,

Thanks for the info. It's amazing to me that even with the hole in the cover the bike ran fine and no coolant leaked out; at least not until I stopped. Again thanks!

Michael

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum