BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Help! Problem refitting injectors Empty Help! Problem refitting injectors Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 am

MartDude

MartDude
Hi, I could do with some advice, please (and yes, I have searched on here, but haven't found quite the info I need)

I'm replacing - or trying to replace - the injector o-rings on my '89 K100RT. And I'm having trouble in getting the injectors back in to their housings on the fuel rail - it takes an unexpected level of force to get them in, and I'm finding it difficult to get them in straight; I've already damaged 2 o-rings. Is there a special technique for this operation? I'd lubricated the rings with fresh engine oil.

If it's this hard on the bench, how will I get the injectors properly seated in their housings in the head?

The new o-rings came from a reputable supplier - MotoBins - so I'm sure they're the correct item.

When I removed the injectors, instead of the injectors & fuel rail coming off together, the fuel rail pulled off, leaving the injectors behind. The injectors themselves where a real pig to get out - required a lot more force than I expected - resorted to levering them out with a pair of cranked long-reach pliers.

Thanks in advance.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mart

yes i imagine they would be hard to pull out ....rubber sets quite nicely after many years of being in the same place

the fuel rail rubbers should be tightish also .....perhaps you might clean up the injector to head interface with maybe a rag and some degreaser , making sure that there are no rubber fragments left from the remooval phase and that the bores that you will be pressing into are well lubricated ...perhaps you could use vaselene sparingly for that ?

when i did my injector clean up ...i was surprised also at the force required ...but im assured by many that this is correct .

good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
wipe some assembly lube on them, pop right in.

Brian

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
That is one of the very few places where silicone grease or so called di-electric grease should be allowed to contact the K the other one being the spark plug caps to stop the rubber bonding to the ceramic of the spark-plug.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Help! Problem refitting injectors Empty Re: Help! Problem refitting injectors Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:..perhaps you could use vaselene sparingly for that ?
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Vaseline was destructive to rubber. I know the O-rings are Vitron, even still...

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
had the same thought rob ...then cleared the head with what was i thinkiing ...theres petrol in there just about all the time a little vassolene isnt going to hurt at all .

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Vaseline = petroleum jelly???? !

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Help! Problem refitting injectors Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
same thing rene

but for all other rubbery stuff i use this ...makes fitting the tank into those rubbers a breeze

good for - 45 d f to +450 d f

Help! Problem refitting injectors 2013-010

Last edited by charlie99 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Silicone from a aerosol can functions good for this use.

10Back to top Go down   Help! Problem refitting injectors Empty Re: Help! Problem refitting injectors Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 am

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
I lick the o-rings to lube them for insertion. Saliva won't rot the o-rings.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

11Back to top Go down   Help! Problem refitting injectors Empty Re: Help! Problem refitting injectors Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Themason wrote:I lick the o-rings to lube them for insertion. Saliva won't rot the o-rings.

Can you imagine how many germs you are potentially giving your K??? If you had a cold it could transfer and you would be left with a bike that coughs and splutters! Wink

Help! Problem refitting injectors 169042Help! Problem refitting injectors 169034

12Back to top Go down   Help! Problem refitting injectors Empty Re: Help! Problem refitting injectors Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:58 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Help! Problem refitting injectors 44271 Help! Problem refitting injectors 44271

13Back to top Go down   Help! Problem refitting injectors Empty Re: Help! Problem refitting injectors Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Going back to the O-rings, there's a very tight fit in the fuel rail (as it should be able to take the full pump pressure without leaking), but normally warming them up will help (short while in boiling water??) to make them more pliable.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Help! Problem refitting injectors Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

14Back to top Go down   Help! Problem refitting injectors Empty Re: Help! Problem refitting injectors Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="twincarb"][quote="Themason"]I lick the o-rings to lube them for insertion. Saliva won't rot the o-rings.[/quote]

Can you imagine how many germs you are potentially giving your K??? If you had a cold it could transfer and you would be left with a bike that coughs and splutters! Wink [/quote]

Keeping a dog as a pet you learn not to be too fussy about these things. Hair and slobber are all good.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum