BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Thermostat installation Empty Thermostat installation Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:50 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there
During this year's bike maintenance, was time to replace the cooling mixture and check the system components, everything was ok but when reinstalling the thermostat found that the internal gasket (not the oring) had swelled and will not fit. The diameter had increased about 3mm, perhaps due to the cooling mixture components.
Searching on google found that by heating the rubber it would shrink, try with a heat gun and boiling water with no succes.
Finally baked it in the convection oven at 350ºF by around 30minutes (checking it every 5 not to burn it) and came out at original size without loosing flexibility nor distorted.
Hope this helps
Best regards
JA

2Back to top Go down   Thermostat installation Empty Re: Thermostat installation Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:13 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good tip jap

funny enough im going into that area of the bike this week sometime

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Thermostat installation Empty Re: Thermostat installation Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:40 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Brilliant work Japuentes!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Thermostat installation Empty Re: Thermostat installation Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Interesting solution JAP, when mine swelled (due to oil in the coolant......pumpseal failure), I cut about 1/4" out of the ring and superglued the ends together as a temporary measure.

Paul.

5Back to top Go down   Thermostat installation Empty Re: Thermostat installation Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 am

Rabidchiwawa007

Rabidchiwawa007
Platinum member
Platinum member
I did the same, sidecar paul. I cut it out till it fit decently well and then held the ends together with gasket maker while I put it in. I figure the gasket maker will fill in whatever gap is there and I'll be good to go till I get a new gasket Razz

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum