BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:53 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
The name's Mike.

My K-Series story began in 1988 when I was looking for a nice R-RT but was offered a K100RT that was a few weeks old. Here it is with a few alterations a little later:

I thought that I'd join-in K100RT%201988-L

I was lucky enough to ride bikes at work (now retired), beginning with Boxers and then K-Series and have owned several of my own in the intervening years.

My main bike from 2004 was an R1150GSA, set-up and used for long distance meandering. I didn't like using it for every day because whenever I threw a leg over it, I just wanted to keep going. Therefore a second bike seemed like a good idea and I picked-up a nice F650GS. I disliked it and sold it within a year.

One day when visiting my local dealership I spotted a K75C outside and when I mentioned it I was told that it had just been taken in part-exchange. Well few people seemed to want K75s, especially the "basic" 'C' model, I reasoned that the trade wouldn't be interested and that it would probably be broken for parts.

I thought that I'd join-in DSCF1568-L

On that basis I made a cheeky offer and it was accepted.

I ran that bike for four years only attending to the servicing. I had some knowledge of the K75 as at one time I had an RT at work but I'd not owned one before.

Well I decided that it needed a tidy and stripped it down, did everything that needed doing before selling it few years further on with 99,000 miles showing.

I thought that I'd join-in K75%20023-L

A certain medical diagnosis this time last year meant that my long distance journeys are a thing of the past so the GSA went and I bought another K-Series, an unfortunately coloured K75S that I couldn't help but name the "Turd".

The intention was to keep the 75S as it did everything I wanted a bike for. So yet again I pulled a K75 apart and went through it all sparing no effort or expense on the basis that it was a keeper.

I thought that I'd join-in K75S%20%28139%29-L

Alas, a friend on another forum who had acquired a very low mileage K1 in Classic Black asked if I'd strip it and do a similar job on it. I readily agreed, having not much to do and the facilities to hand.

I thought that I'd join-in BMW%20K1%20%28305%29-L

Now I used to own a red & yellow K1 back in the very early 90's (when it was one of only two colour schemes then available). It was the most enjoyable bike that I've ever owned but I sold it in a fit of pique and regretted it ever since.

The ravages of time and the fear that my nostalgic memories might be destroyed by owning one again is what stopped me buying another.

When I finished the tidy-up I had to get the bike tested. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could still bend myself into the required "feet behind the ears" position, that it was perfectly comfortable and my memories had not played tricks on me.

The long and the short of it is that I sold the "Turd" and put the money towards a nice red & yellow K1, then stripped it apart and got it into the sort of condition that it deserves to be.

I thought that I'd join-in K1%20BMW%20%28180%29-L

The K1 is the perfect bike for my needs these days. I have no need to carry anything except what's in my pockets and it's perfect for 300 mile round trips to visit my aged mother (the lack of carrying capacity is a great excuse not to stay overnight).

Currently I have a K75S (recently purchased by my nephew in December) in pieces. This will be his main bike and keep him going until he inherits my K1.

2Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum Mike that certainly is a stable of Ks you have had over the years.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:28 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Welcome to the forum Mike, many thanks for sharing those pictures of your K's with us a fine selection of pics.

BIG D

4Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Clean K's ! Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 am

ChrisJF

ChrisJF
Hello MikeI thought that I'd join-in 177912

looking at your posts on the UKGSer site I agree with one of the comments posted there that you and your attention to detail when cleaning, tidying and restoring K's to their ultimate potential have almost single-handedly raised the price/demand for the older K's here in the UK I thought that I'd join-in 723598

I've just got myself an 89 K100LT for tidying - if it turns out even half as well as the ones you work on I'll be delighted Very Happy

Last edited by ChrisJF on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

5Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:47 am

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome along mike That floor is as clean as the bikes - makes me despair about the condition of my workshop. With so much experience under your belt I'm looking forward to your contributions to the forum!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

6Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome mike ... woohoo ....some nice machines

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Mike, what a tremendous story, thanks!

I reckon there's many a 'K' owner with a secret hankering for a K1! I certainly do.

I saw a K75 for sale recently - quite like the metallic turd colour.

Cheers Very Happy
Dave

8Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
What a great post! I really liked your K100RT.

9Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
welcome Mike.

You have ALMOST everything in the line of K Bikes. The only thing missing is a sidecar Smile
Just talk to SidecarPaul and he will pass you the virus.

Great to see you joining this forum.

CF

10Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm

desertbeemer

desertbeemer
Silver member
Silver member
Wow welcome to the Kholics annomious I got to get me a K1 thats is smoking hot bike be great for my next bus jump. welcome and look forward to hear your comments and advice William

William Gornto Alamogordo New Mexico

11Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:44 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the welcome everyone. It's nice to be among others for whom K-Bike appreciation isn't considered an aberration. Very Happy

AJ.Valente wrote:What a great post! I really liked your K100RT.

I discovered it not far from me back in 2006 advertised on ebay. I went and had a look as I was tempted to buy it. It wasn't in great condition and the mileage was fairly low (around 60K IIRC):

I thought that I'd join-in 32_12_sb

It would have been a good 'project' to get it back to how it used to be.

If there's any interest, I'll post a thread or two detailing the restorations that I've done in the past 12 months (two K1's, a K75S and another K75S that I'm doing at present).

12Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It seems like you have been through all of them....welcome to the madhouse.

13Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Mike
I would love to read your restoration posts, gives me hope
and direction seeing how others have managed.
RT

14Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Mike, love your K1. Do you have a 'before' pic?

I thought that I'd join-in 292303

Paul.

15Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:28 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul wrote:Welcome Mike, love your K1. Do you have a 'before' pic?

I thought that I'd join-in 292303

Paul.
Paul,

Here are a couple of tasters Wink :

I thought that I'd join-in K1%20BMW%20%28281%29-XL

I thought that I'd join-in K1%20BMW%20%28315%29-L

I thought that I'd join-in K1%20BMW%20239%29%20%283%29-L

I thought that I'd join-in K1%20BMW%20%28316%29-L

16Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:34 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I thought that I'd join-in 212902

Paul.

17Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Awesome work! I for one would like to see some more of your work please. And..... how long did it take you to get the stainless exhaust looking like that? I wonder if Halo has seen this thread yet??Twisted Evil

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

18Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Mike from just up the road in Launceston - maybe we will meet up at some point? Out of respect for Bert, I will not post the url to my own forum but a search for Westcountry Rideouts should point you in the right direction. Beautiful looking K1 by the way Wink

19Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:49 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mike,
What really excellent work, so good to have you with us. How about if you have more of the photos of the K1 restoration you doing an article in the "Your own renovation" section. I know I would love to see a K restoration and I am sure many others would too.
Regards,
K-BIKE

20Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:33 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mike

What's the technique you use to get the exhaust shiny? Mine is identcal to the one in your photo.

Thanks
Dave

21Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:59 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
K-BIKE wrote:Hi Mike,
What really excellent work, so good to have you with us. How about if you have more of the photos of the K1 restoration you doing an article in the "Your own renovation" section. I know I would love to see a K restoration and I am sure many others would too.
Regards,
K-BIKE

MT350Explorer wrote:Hi Mike

What's the technique you use to get the exhaust shiny? Mine is identcal to the one in your photo.

Thanks
Dave

Once I get the K75S "tart-up" thread up to date, I'll post one of both K1s and it will include how I polish up exhausts.

Being so old and knackered, things take me longer these days. Crying or Very sad

22Back to top Go down   I thought that I'd join-in Empty Re: I thought that I'd join-in Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 am

Barcelona Pat

Barcelona Pat
Welcome on board. Some nice shots there.
Pat

http://patonabike.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum