BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil pressure warning lamp Empty Oil pressure warning lamp Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Hi folks,

the oil warning lamp on my K100LT doesn't come on when I switch on the ignition (before starting the engine).

If I earth the wire which goes to the oil pressure switch/sensor, the lamp then lights up, so am I right in assuming the pressure switch is simply faulty and a replacement will fix the problem Smile ..... Or might it not be that straightforward? Crying or Very sad

Is it possible to test the pressure switch itself?

Many thanks,
Steve.

2Back to top Go down   Oil pressure warning lamp Empty Re: Oil pressure warning lamp Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
You are perfectly correct assuming that the pressure switch is faulty.
Inside the switch is a small spring loaded piston. If there is no pressure, the switch will be grounded. As soon as there is enough oil pressure to overcome the pressure of the spring, the contact with the ground is cut.
The test of grounding the wire proves that the wiring is good and the bulb is OK.

Bert

3Back to top Go down   Oil pressure warning lamp Empty Re: Oil pressure warning lamp Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Thanks Bert,
I'll get a new one ordered.

She's in very good condition for a 22 year old bike, but the electrics are starting to show their age now. Everything major works ok, but I won't be satisfied till I've sorted out the minor problems too.

That should be another one fixed!

Cheers,
Steve.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum