BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Lowering front end Empty Lowering front end Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:58 pm

jfg3

jfg3
Hi all, i'm in the middle of a cafe/custom build and as I am beginning to put everything back together i became interested in lowering the front end. In other forums and pictures iv'e seen the forks moved up in the triple tree, but without clip-on bars this method does not work as the bars are in the way (clubman bars).
My question is if there is another method to lower the front end.
I've thought of cutting down the plastic preloaders inside the fork tubes but didn't know if that would cause too much bottoming out.

Thanks!

2Back to top Go down   Lowering front end Empty Re: Lowering front end Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I used some 20mm risers so the bars were 20mm higher and then the forks went through 20mm futher.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Lowering front end Empty Re: Lowering front end Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:46 pm

jfg3

jfg3
Thanks for the advice! That would definitely be another possibility.
What would your opinion be on downsizing the preloaders?

4Back to top Go down   Lowering front end Empty Re: Lowering front end Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would not do it as it will leave slack and will rattle and bang over the bumps

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Lowering front end Empty Re: Lowering front end Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
Be careful. With the stock geometry these bikes have precious little trail. This is why they develop a scary weave when you try to corner them fast fully loaded. The fork is compressed by cornering loads, and you quickly enough run out of trail, making the bike unstable. Stiffer springs only masks the underlying problem. Lowering the front end, or fitting a smaller diameter front wheel makes the problem worse.

The cure is to fit different triple clamps with less offset. This adds trail. Then you can lower the nose to speed up the steering without making the bike unsafe at speed. Another way to do this is to fit a complete front end from a mid 1980's Suzuki GSX/R 1000, which had right side up forks like the K. The GSX/R uses the same head bearings as BMWs do. Other than stem length and fettling brake hoses it is a nice bolt on that does wonders for the steering. It is a fully adjustable cartridge fork too. The Suzuki front wheel matches the BMW three spoke wheels close enough that no one but the most anally retentive K bike nut would notice.

Just saying ...........

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum