BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Stupid question time..

I broke my clutch cable on the way to the KRR the other week, and ended up with a jury rigged jobbie to get me to the campsite and then home.

New clutch cable finally arrived from motobins today, but it's missing one bit! The little about 8mm long x 4mm diameter cylinder bit with the cut-out and hole that slips over the end of the cable, and sits inside the end of the lever at the handlebars. Seems like they expect you to already have one, but mine fell out and went bye-byes when my cable snapped.

So I don't look like a dick at the bike store later today, what am I actually asking for?? Very Happy

Thanks,

DG

I always thought it was the cable nipple.
Really.
I wouldn't lie to you.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I just had a look at mine and a spare and the cable is all one piece. Only extra is the adjusting screw in the lever.

REALOEM LINK

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Aha, thanks guys,

It is indeed - part 3 on the diagram rossco posted Smile I just figured they'd supply a new one with each cable, but seems not? (or maybe not with the 'featherlite' ones motobins supply?

Last edited by Rendrag on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : err, part 3)

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Part #3 is at the gearbox end.....part #10 (nipple holder) is at the handlebar end.

Keep the "nipple holder" well lubricated, so it can rotate freely in the lever........
or the cable would snap close to the cable nipple, sooner or later.

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
have you run some lube down the inside of the cable, prevents rusting,seeing as you are on the coast.
sorry to say , but you could have called in here, and grabbed the spare off the RT, Oh well.
did you enjoy the rally?was it Charlie who piccied your campsite?

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
What do you call the little bit on the end of the clutch cable that goes into the lever? 10_x_110

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You should not put lube down them, they are stainless with a teflon lining and oil only attracts the grit which makes them wear quicker, that is for the OEM but some aftermarket may be different.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:Part #3 is at the gearbox end.....part #10 (nipple holder) is at the handlebar end.

Keep the "nipple holder" well lubricated, so it can rotate freely in the lever........
or the cable would snap close to the cable nipple, sooner or later.

Yep, you're right, rocked up at brisans to pickup the 'nipple', and it turned out it was the nipple holder I wanted. The guy on the parts counter had no idea what it was either, he was expecting it to be the nipple.. Hopefully only a day or two and it'll arrive Smile

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Rick G wrote:You should not put lube down them, they are stainless with a teflon lining and oil only attracts the grit which makes them wear quicker, that is for the OEM but some aftermarket may be different.

yeah, not this one, I specifically ordered the 'featherlite', so it doesn't need lubricating..

I might shove a bit of vaseline around the nipple holder though once it's assembled?

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
groverK wrote:have you run some lube down the inside of the cable, prevents rusting,seeing as you are on the coast.
sorry to say , but you could have called in here, and grabbed the spare off the RT, Oh well.
did you enjoy the rally?was it Charlie who piccied your campsite?

yeah the rally was great! Was my fifth karuah, but the first I've stayed overnight for.. Reminded me why i always put a tarp up over my campsite, even when it's dry - everything was SOAKED in the morning! Will be doing that from now on Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum