BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Removing parts for painting Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am

mack8882

mack8882
I'm having my 1991 K100RS repainted to original pearl silver metallic. Maybe its posted elsewhere, but can anyone share any tips for any chronological order I should follow when disassembling the gas tank, front/rear fenders, and other fairing?

Also, I have the Clymer's book for disassembly instructions - is this the best guide to use or do you suggest alternative methods for removing the parts I need to remove for painting?

Thanks!
Craig

2Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Clymers is very good for most instructions. I would you would be safe following their instructions.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Place items in zip lock bags and label them. Never, never then put the bags in a safe place......you will not find them again. It took me 3 months to find one such "safe place"...after I had bought replacement bolts. Good luck.

4Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm

2slow

2slow
+1 on not putting thing in a safe place I've got things I put away 5 yrs ago that I still haven't found but at least I know there safe

5Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I put everything into the zip lock bags and then into 25ltr chemical drums I have split lengthways around the drum. Gives me sliding draw for undr benches and it can not ever be put in a safe place..Big and White..

6Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
ainsjac wrote:Place items in zip lock bags and label them. Never, never then put the bags in a safe place......you will not find them again. It took me 3 months to find one such "safe place"...after I had bought replacement bolts. Good luck.

Man, sounds like you are getting old......

Here I was thinking I was the only one with the "Put it in a safe place so I do not lose it" disease. Never to be seen again. scratch

Dave.

7Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:Place items in zip lock bags and label them. Never, never then put the bags in a safe place......you will not find them again. It took me 3 months to find one such "safe place"...after I had bought replacement bolts. Good luck.

I can just imagine it now, in 30 years time when Stans kids are going through the shed they will say you know dad really was losing it he pulled apart a complete bike put it in little plastic bags and hid the parts all over the place, no wonder we had to cart him off to the home for the permanently bewildered.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
That is right Rick. I got rid of my old Alfa and told the kids that I had disassmembled the non rusty bits and put them in a safe place. They are not looking forward to finding the car........I have the last laugh....there are no non rusting parts in an Alfa.

9Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty I might add... Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:35 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Get a digital camera (or an old Polaroid) and take photos of everything as you encounter them so you can refer to your pictures to remember where everything goes back on later.
The plastic bags work great too

10Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:17 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Years ago I used to use paper labels because I'd learned the hard way that it was too easy to forget what small parts went where.

Digital photography has done away with that.

I'm another zip-lock bag user (handily BMW supply parts in them often with a paper label that can be written on).

As I remove something, I pop all the fasteners into a bag and write on the bag with a Sharpie (indelible pen) what they are and any information that I think might be useful.

Removing parts for painting BMW%20K75S%20%2889%29-L

Then if the parts are small, they can go into another bag with the fasteners:

Removing parts for painting BMW%20K75S%20%2890%29-L

I find that a large box keeps everything in one place. "Really Useful" boxes are pretty cheap and are what the name suggests:

Removing parts for painting BMW%20K75S%20%2898%29-L

11Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:34 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
+1 on the zip lock bags; +1 on organization. Here's the not-to-be-painted parts of my K75 at the moment:
Removing parts for painting IMG_1681

And the parts to-be-painted-aluminum:
Removing parts for painting IMG_1682

Even with all this organization, I still managed to loose a 10mm Snap-on combination wrench somewhere in the basement during disassembly! What a Face I searched for 5 weeks looking for that wrench; and finally broke down last week and bought a new one. I guess that wrench fell into a warpage in the time continuum, to join the Hazet socket extension I lost in the garage two years ago. Maybe they'll exit in 5 years time and reveal themselves.

12Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Someone standing in the middle of the jungle in Borneo probably just got hit on the head by the 10mm spanner because he was standing under the other end of the hole Very Happy

13Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 am

Alheng

Alheng
Gold member
Gold member
I put all the little bits and parts in little bags and put them all in a pail with a lid. I use a pail as it's easy to spot when looking around the work area. That way I know its all there. Label with permanent marker.

Tip - get coin bags from your local bank. It's free.

Removing parts for painting File_zps42fea4bc

Removing parts for painting File_zps59fbdf66

14Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 pm

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
You can only go so far with plastic bags.....
Removing parts for painting Spares10

Removing parts for painting Spares13

Removing parts for painting Spares14

Removing parts for painting Spares12

Must find a better way to file these spares Removing parts for painting 3041425650

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

15Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Please do not post questions in this section of the forum, the sticky at the top explains what this section is for.
Regards,
K-BIKE

16Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty Re: Removing parts for painting Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:14 am

mack8882

mack8882
Thanks to everyone for your replies - extremely helpful. I will post question in the appropriate forum next time KBIKE.

17Back to top Go down   Removing parts for painting Empty That's right Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 pm

paulespo

paulespo
I'm still looking for the replacement heated grips I bought 6 mo. ago. Now I'm making a box for each motorcycle and truck I have just to keep my sanity.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum