BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Wheel widening Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Folks,

Anyone have a shop/individual with the skills to do weld-ups on the stock wheels?

Thanks,
OG

2Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Re: Wheel widening Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I've seen and come across companies who will do this for steel wheels but not Aluminium OG (Nice to see you back online by the way!). Start with some local enquiries with people in the modified car/Drag racing/Drift racing scenes they can be a good source of info.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

3Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Aluminum Welding Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:51 pm

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
I help my friend build These. And when we do aluminum welding the heat changes the size, warpage and chemistry of the extruded AL. Not saying it can't be done but one would have to be a very talented person. Or there are special techniques for the process for welding casted AL. Good Luck. Jim

Peggy's 1987 K75s Columbia Grey 9500miles 6 valve.

Wheel widening  K100_m12

Wheel widening  K75_po12
Wheel widening  Basil_10
http://www.nachicagonorth.com

4Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Re: Wheel widening Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the info guys. Doing more research I'm finding out this requires a much higher skill set to do properly than I would have guessed at first glance. I will keep you posted on progress and yep 88 it's great to have a bit of time for my brick passion again and fingers crossed it lasts thru the summer!

OG

5Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Re: Wheel widening Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
AL 58 here has the wheels used by dragracers on his outfit. Not sure if they are Cragar brand but they make them. You will have to make your own centres but they are good quality and quite suitable for 300mph cars. Al will give you more info when he is around I am sure. Won't ya AL.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Re: Wheel widening Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:21 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:AL 58 here has the wheels used by dragracers on his outfit. Not sure if they are Cragar brand but they make them. You will have to make your own centres but they are good quality and quite suitable for 300mph cars. Al will give you more info when he is around I am sure. Won't ya AL.
You're wrong actually Rick. The rims themselves 'might' be sourced that way, but the rear centre is a machined billet original, made for the purpose, the front centre is made from two spun aluminium centres and a machined bearing carrier. Made in South Oz.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Wheel widening  K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty wide wheels Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:05 pm

arbalest

Silver member
Silver member
Kosman specialties can do most anything to your wheel. My 85 K100 has wheel that was widened. You have the option of leaving the wheel the original diameter, or increasing it by one inch.

8Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Re: Wheel widening Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:20 am

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
Its not legal to do it in New Zealand to a cast alloy wheel for the road.
I have heard of it being done on some post classic race bikes here though.

9Back to top Go down   Wheel widening  Empty Re: Wheel widening Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Kosman is now under new ownership but wheel widening can still be done.

Kosman

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum