BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Decided to fit my said Sissy bars today, everything went without a hitch until I fitted the second one and looked at the difference in the gap as can be seen below...

Sissy Bars....  2013-039

Sissy Bars....  2013-040

So I had a look at realoem to see if I had a part now missing.... Looking at the diagram below I can't have fitted part 16 in the diagram below, no great shakes until I scrolled down to find the part number. Nothing listed!

Sissy Bars....  B0001010

Has anyone got any secret information that may help me in my quest of finding the little blighter!

Sissy Bars....  169042Sissy Bars....  169034

2Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
SPACER BUSH, part # 46 71 2 303 069.

Used on the naked models, which don't have rubber mounts in the front frame mounting points.

3Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:19 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Many thanks Inge, I take it that when a diagram only lists some of the parts head to the naked version and they are often shown on there instead?

4Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Are the bars level TC?
If you missed the spacer I think you would find it very hard if not impossible to bend the bar in that far to actually fit it.
I just had a look at mine and it does have the spacer and the gap between the crank cover and the inside of the crash bar is very close to 3.5cm taken where the BMW logo is on the cover.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

5Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
It fitted up naturally enough with no undue force needed... The right hand side of course has the rubber on the engine mount (other side they are bolted on)

I have got a feeling that I may have put the wrong engine mounts on either side as well now... having looked at the fishe the longer one should be on the RHS not the LHS....

I am thinking as a temporary fix putting an M10 Nut or 2 will pad it out for now, it doesn't look wrong at a glance so that's one thing at least.

When you say Level Rossko in which plane do your mean?

6Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:00 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
The top of the bar.

If you fit the bottom bolts you will have to push hard to get the bar to fit as the distance it has to 'move over? be pushed over? gap to fill?' is bigger. does that make sense?

This is what I do for a job. Think I need more practice?

Sissy Bars....  Crash_10

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

7Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:10 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I see what you mean.... I will have a look in the morning, I am guessing that it is also going to be putting more undue pressure on the mounting points at the bottom as well.

When I put it together I got the bottom nuts to bite before I put the top one in and then tightened them up... there wasn't the feeling that things weren't going on just right

your day job..... what you do technical drawings or connect things together incorrectly on purpose? Wink

I work with electrical/electronic diagrams during the day but can I sketch out a clear and concise one.... only if I get a huge sheet of paper!

8Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
twincarb wrote:I have got a feeling that I may have put the wrong engine mounts on either side as well now... having looked at the fishe the longer one should be on the RHS not the LHS....
Not necessarily............on the fiche, the longest bolt is on the RHS.......with bars.
w/o bars the longest bolt is on the LHS.............
Doesn't quite make sense..........

It seems to be some misunderstanding due to the frame rubber mounts and the
spacer............since this ain't my native language, and a long time since I went
to school.........my answers usually is a bit (to?) short.

Models with a factory mounted faring have rubber mounts at the front frame mounts.
Naked models have the spacer to compensate for the more narrow frame lugs
w/o the rubber mounts...........but only on the RHS, since the frame mount is laying
inside of the engine mount on the LHS.

9Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Luckily, your English does make perfect sense Inge... Very Happy I will be having a look to see if there is room on the RHS for a spacer to fit into place. I have a feeling that there isn't going to be the room mind.

Sissy Bars....  Rhs10
looking at the LHS if I was to put a shorter length mount in there (20mm shorter) then I don't think the nut would be able to bite.

Sissy Bars....  Lhs10
The RHS engine mount comes through about 5mm not to sure how far the engine mount should go into the engine. I am guessing that it should be in at least 15mm due to the weight which would allow for a spacer of 10 - 15mm

Last edited by twincarb on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarifying the pictures to the text)

10Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Left, Right Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:36 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Do you have your hands on the wrong sides of your body?
I'm not sure what you're telling us here, but the left side of the machine is the side that the coils are on. Conversely, the right side of the bike is the side that the oil fill plug is on.
Not trying to sound critical here......just saying the sides of the bike are always termed as if sitting on the machine.
Your left hand is always on your left, no matter if your facing the sunrise or the sunset.....LOL

11Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Since the subject is the free length available on the mounting bolts,
must the pictures obviously be taken from the opposite side.

I would guess that it's older pictures, and not made especially for this thread.

12Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:17 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
lol.... def got the LHS and RHS the right way around.... even if the last pics (which were during the rebuild) have me talking about the LHS when it shows the RHS more clearly.... but they are more just to show the amount of thread left on view.

On the second picture you can just make out on the LHS that it protrudes out of the engine mount about 5mm.

Conversely on the first pic you can see there is about 4mm of thread still showing after the nut.

So bearing in mind there is a spacer missing on the LHS RHS there should be room to fit the spacer as the bolt will still have plenty of grip on the thread. Although it won't protrude out.

I hope that clears it up a bit....

We just have to be lucky that we don't refer here to nearside and off side... as depending on the country we would be talking about different sides.

Yeah your right Inge... Old photo's from when I was rebuilding.... will open the originals now and edit them so they are clearer...

Last edited by twincarb on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

13Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
twincarb wrote:So bearing in mind there is a spacer missing on the LHS there should be room to fit the spacer as the bolt will still have plenty of grip on the thread. Although it won't protrude out.

I hope that clears it up a bit.......

Not at all, the fiche shows a spacer on the RHS....which isn't used on your model.

Why do you want to add a spacer?
Doesn't the mountings line up?

14Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:56 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I put LHS not RHS on the last post.

With the Bars fitted the LHS sits as it should do as shown in Rossko's left hand diagram, the RHS bar sits into the fairing about an inch. and when viewed through the vents it looks like Rossko's right hand diagram, which suggests there should be a spacer in there.

It makes no sense that the version without a full fairing would have a spacer yet a fully faired version wouldn't

If you look back at the first 2 photo's I posted you can see that the bars sit into the fairing differently the LHS sits square the RHS sit's inwards, hence why I think there should be a spacer.

15Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
twincarb wrote:It makes no sense that the version without a full fairing would have a spacer yet a fully faired version wouldn't .
As mentioned in post 2 & 8, the naked versions don't have rubbermounts at the front frame to engine mountings.

Because of this the mounting ears at the frame is more narrow on the naked models, and shorter bolts is used/needed.

The spacer compensate for this difference, and is needed only on the RHS,,,since the frame rubbermount is behind the engine mount on the LHS.

Or did your bike leave the factory as a naked version, and missing the rubber mounts?

Sissy Bars....  Ramme10

16Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I have got the Rubber mounts fitted. They were a PITA to get back in when the bike was rebuilt.

So with them fitted and when the bars are fitted up the LHS looks correct the RHS is wrong, I would say that the spacer is needed on all models, I will order the part and do a temp fit using nuts in the time being.

Unless I did something else wrong (which wouldn't surprise me) when I put the bike back together....

17Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Should be enough members here to confirm if the spacer is used also on the fairing models.........and good luck Sissy Bars....  112350 .

18Back to top Go down   Sissy Bars....  Empty Re: Sissy Bars.... Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:30 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I agree Inge, it would only take 30secs to lean down and look in the vent and post back what can be seen....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum