BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Fork Position Sun May 05, 2013 3:05 am

Hi guys, I'm forging ahead with replacing all fluids on this 86 K100RS but could not get the caps off the forks. The caps seem to be pressed up against the bars. It doesn't look right to me, I would have thought the top of the forks should be level with the top yoke. Do I need to move them down. See pic.

Also, whats the trick in getting the caps off the spark plugs. These ones don't seem to want to budge. I thought maybe some sort of T-bar with a hook to hook the tab?

robin

Fork Position Forks

2Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Sun May 05, 2013 3:58 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello, if you push fork tubes down and align with uper triple clamp you ll get enough space to remove caps with some little screwdriver. But its easier to move bars a bit after removing a dashboard.
My forks are 10 cm higher than triple clamps like on your bike. Let it stay that way. Before you start to work cover tank with some old towell.
You can grab a metal cover of every spark plug with pliers. Look at spark plug and you will see little bulge on metal part near the wire. Take it out with pliers

Best regards

3Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Sun May 05, 2013 4:13 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
If the spark plug caps are the metal originals, there is a tab on the top that you grip with a pair of pliers, then just pull on them and they'll come off. You made need a bit of force, so watch out when they let go. You don't want to rip them off the leads!

When reattaching the caps, dab a bit of silicone grease on the ribbed part of the spark plug and they'll be easier to remove next time.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Sun May 05, 2013 4:26 am

Cheers Guys, I found out why the forks are like that, the 8mm allen on the bottom yoke is toast,it's not going anywhere soon Shocked I guess I'll have to pull the dash out to do the fork oil and leave them the way they are for now. That's a job for another day I think.

Yes blakey they are original metal ones. The tab has hole in it hence my t-bar idea. I tried the biggest pliers I have but didn't move them. Maybe more force is required. I'll have another go.

Nearly done with the fluid change. Just the forks, plugs, air filter and splines to go.

5Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Sun May 05, 2013 4:56 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, try and hook them out. I had to use vise grips the first time. Good luck!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Sun May 05, 2013 7:18 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, pliers or grips but twist them a little first and pull at the same time.

7Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Sun May 05, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks guys, I'll have another go tomorrow if work permits, there's not enough light out there to work at night.

8Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 am

I've decided to pull the fairing off and fix the fork yoke bolts, plus have a look in there while I'm at it. I can see already that it needs new fuel lines and a bit of a gurney to get the grime out.

I've got everything off apart from the main upper fairing part. Is it easier to unbolt the metal fairing mount from the bike or unbolt that mount from the fairing. The manual seems to want you to remove every screw and bolt on the machine. Bloody work is sort of slowing this down but it looks like tomorrow will be free bounce

9Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Don't use a pressure washer on a K bike as they tend to have big problems with water getting into everything including the ECU and ICU which then tend to let all the smoke out and refuse to work.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Thu May 09, 2013 9:45 am

I just wanna get rid of the oil and road grime around the front of it before I pull the tappet cover off and also up the arse around where the clutch rod is. I think there might be something weeping back there but it needs to be clean in the first instance to find out.

Got the stuffed bolt out of the yoke with a big pair of vise grips and there was another stuffed bolt holding the dashboard down. Got it out by hammering in a torx. Got the plug covers off with a lot of force, the plugs where worn out but looked ok colour wise. The radiator overflow had some sort of green/black sludge in it, I hope it wasn't from oil in the water although I didn't see evidence of that in the radiator flush itself and I managed to loosen the wheel nuts, they where really tight. I can almost see that light down the old tunnel.

I have some anti seize coming in the mail but I really need some now. Can I get it from Repco? Should it be copper based?

11Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I got some permatex antisieze from supercheap a few days ago, about $16 from memory. Its an aluminium base but every bit as good as copper stuff.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

12Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty highly recommended Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member

13Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 am

Cheers guys, I'll give this copper stuff from the UK a few more days before I pull the trigger, it's a pitty US postage is so expensive, they seem to have everything for sale you'd ever need.

14Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Fri May 10, 2013 4:30 am

I need some help again. I've drained the forks and one of the drain bolts came out with the thread attached affraid

It had 2 washers on it too so some gorilla has been at it.

I figured I could tap it to 12mm and get a new bolt and then flush the swarf out of the leg somehow.

Or is there another method to fix this?

Also, drove past a bolt shop today, dropped in and got replacement bolts for the stuffed ones I've found so far and they had a tin of silver anti seize so I grabbed it.

15Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
At the moment the threads are 6mm, you can tap out to 8mm thread. If you grease the tap and remove it after each turn then you should not get and bits in there. I woulf remove and disassemble the leg before I did anything like that. You can then wash it and dry it and have no chance of getting a bit floating about.

16Back to top Go down   Fork Position Empty Re: Fork Position Fri May 10, 2013 5:07 am

Terrific, just what I needed, an inside tour of the forks. I see greasy fingerprints all over the fork section of the manual with sections hi-lighted so someone has been in there before. Not looking forward to this at all.

Will I be able to get a crush washer to suit?
I've got several sizes here but none are 8mm.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum