BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty hello from central Texas Sat May 11, 2013 7:10 pm

chrslws

chrslws
hi all, i am new to BMW and to this forum. i recently bought a 85 k100 not running and am hoping to get it going soon. I've read great things about the bike and look forward to putting some miles on it. i have done some digging on trouble shooting but no luck so far. if anyone in central or north Texas wants to help take a stab at it I'd be grateful. at this point I'd be willing to pay to get it working but am apprehensive about taking it to a dealer since it's an older bike and may be the first one the tech has ever worked on. thanks all! Chris in temple

2Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sat May 11, 2013 7:19 pm

chrslws

chrslws
i guess i could include some more info on the condition. the previous owner rode it daily for about twelve years, up to 100k plus miles. on his way home about three months ago it suddenly died. he parked it and got a 2005 model. so far I've verified that the injectors are squirting gas and the plugs are sparking. the old plugs were pretty black and sooty when i replaced them with ngks. it occasionally backfires when i turn it over, but no running.

3Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sat May 11, 2013 7:35 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Oh you are close to having it going. I would check the main connection to the computer under the seat. Plug and unplug a few times and see what happens. Also there is a temp sensor wire at the front left side of the engine. If that is corroded or broken off the sensor it will give a no start condition. You will likely have to remove the air cleaner box to see it. Also buy a can of DeOxit and treat every electrical connection.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

4Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sat May 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
When you push the start button do you hear the fuel pump whiring, it should run for 1.5 seconds after the start button is pressed. Also check the connector under the right side cover which goes to the tank or it could with an 85 be under the left side of the tank and push up into the socket. Make sure there is no corrosion and clean well with the Deoxit, just giving it a bit of a wriggle can help diagnose but clean it properly if faulty.
If no luck there get back to us so far we have managed to get all commers going.

Oh yeah welcome to the forum good to have you along

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Rick I figured if the plugs were wet the fuel pump must be a go... And he has fuel spraying out of the injectors.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

6Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sat May 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
club_c wrote:Rick I figured if the plugs were wet the fuel pump must be a go... And he has fuel spraying out of the injectors.
I am not real with it today my pain is in front of the meds, my back is giving me heaps.
Still worth checking the connectors if they are intermittent it will give problems. Check your coils and leads as a nice fat spark at atmospheric pressure can turn to a pathetic thing at compression also the connectors to the ICU right up front under the tank.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sun May 12, 2013 12:33 am

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
There's great troubleshooting information on the download site.

1985 K100RT

8Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty K welcome from NZ chrslws Sun May 12, 2013 3:45 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Sounds like your onto it, must be close to running, so many connections and semiconductors, heaps of opportunities for a no go, amazing how reliable the Ks are.
The current generation of bikes are imposssible to tweek without all the techno even a red radio wifi key my ducati mate tells me, makes you wonder if they have a useby date programmed in ? Ks don't keep us posted.
Rick

9Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sun May 12, 2013 3:53 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Look at the earth connections under the tank, there should be good contact, best to remove them clean up all the surfaces and refit. As said in some earlier posts clean all of the electrical connectors. hello from central Texas 22936

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

10Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sun May 12, 2013 3:57 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
chris ...might be worth looking up the fault testing for hall efect sensors (ignition timing )

but i agree with club c ...have a good look at the temp sensor ...just behind the radiator

this governs in many ways, the mixture= fuel fed by the injector controller under the seat

pin 10 and earth are the measurement locations for this

there are a few good threads in the forum about this as well ...

try the search function

welcome aboard

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

11Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sun May 12, 2013 4:52 am

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Chris. good luck with getting going - it will be worth it.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

12Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Sun May 12, 2013 12:45 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I had some problems last year, they were cured when I replaced the ICU unit up behind the forks, its under the gas tank. Worth taking it out and cleaning all the connector pins. It seems a few sensors connect in here, the difficulty is that a bad connection may lead you to suspect a faulty sensor when the connection is the problem. There are also earths that should be opened and remade.

As everyone says the electrical connections are the weak point, once you have them sorted you are highly likely to have it solved.

All this means you will have the gas tank on and off a few times. If you can you should replace the fuel lines - if they are perished at all that may weep causing a fire risk. BMW line is not expensive and if you make them longer you can do a lot more without having to remove the gas tank each time you need in there, ie access the relay box, the connectors, the rad top up.

A little patience is needed but it will be well rewarded.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

13Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 2:36 pm

chrslws

chrslws
quick update. I pulled the bike out and started messing with it this morning. I unplugged the computer a couple times and replugged with no luck. Compression is around 160psi with open throttle via my tester. I looked for the water temp sensor. It is under the radiator on a hard line, right? I want to test it but can't find out where pin 10 is on the computer plug. I noticed there are two loose wires zip tied to the wire leading to the temp sensor, no idea what they are, couldn't really tell what color they were. I'll pull the tank off and get a better look after lunch. I saw the boots between the injectors and the head are starting to crack. I may test the hall sensor this afternoon, haven't looked into what all I'd have to pull to get to it yet. The engine is pretty oily, may clean it all down before anything else. The amount of electrics on this thing is a little daunting; I'm used to working on bikes with carbs and points. Many thanks already.

14Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 5:35 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Dont despair. Once you have it running you will realise all the time you spend with carbs and points, especially if you have 4 carbs and having to keep them in balance and clean etc etc. Most of us have been through the carb/points/tappets four pot Japanese superbike that needed constant adjustment and you will have none of that. You are picking up on some previous neglect and after that you should be good.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

15Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Stupid question, but Wed May 15, 2013 8:09 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Have you cleaned the tank and replaced the old fuel?
A even a quarter of a cup of Old stale fuel, left in the tank if refilled will prevent it from starting up when cold.
By the way....if you want to use the forum effectively, you should answer the various members' questions when asked so that we can help you. Don't go charging in and working on too many things at one time for fear of "un-fixing" something that isn't currently broken.
Please post pictures like of the wires you found at the coolant temperature sight, so your question can be addressed.
We'll get you going.

16Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

chrslws

chrslws
I'm going to try to attach pictures of the wires. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B39Aqze2NQtYX1YwOUx6MmlBNDA/edit?usp=sharing

@ibjman: Thanks for the tip. The fuel had been drained by the previous owner before he put it away for the three or so months it sat before I got it. I think I mentioned that the no start situation was pre-existing, in fact it was the reason the previous owner got rid of it. I am trying to explore all the suggestions I'm receiving, and believe me when I say I don't plan to intentionally do any unnecessary work.

Does anyone have a link to a diagram showing how the pins on the computer are numbered? I see that pin 10 to ground is the way to measure continuity through the temp sensor, but I don't know which pin is pin 10.

17Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 pm

chrslws

chrslws
To all who mentioned checking the front control unit connections, I'll do that this evening. And Rick G, more on the coils and leads: what specifically should I check? Resistance through the leads? The spark is blue but may not be as strong as it should be. Thanks

18Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
chrslws wrote:To all who mentioned checking the front control unit connections, I'll do that this evening. And Rick G, more on the coils and leads: what specifically should I check? Resistance through the leads? The spark is blue but may not be as strong as it should be. Thanks
Check for corrosion at any of the plug points and connectors, measure the resistance of the leads should be 5000 ohms and give the leads a wriggle to make sure there is nothing intermittent. Measure the resistance of the coil primaries and secondaries. Primary is where the 12v connects around 4 ohms and secondary is to plugs about 10000ohms
Plugs should be NGK D7EA ir equivilant.

19Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 pm

RicK G wrote:
Give the leads a wiggle to make sure there is nothing intermittent. Measure the resistance of the coil primaries and secondaries. Primary is where the 12v connects around 4 ohms and secondary is to plugs about 10000ohms
Plugs should be NGK D7EA ir equivilant.

Which one?
hello from central Texas The_wi10

20Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
chrslws wrote:
Does anyone have a link to a diagram showing how the pins on the computer are numbered? I see that pin 10 to ground is the way to measure continuity through the temp sensor, but I don't know which pin is pin 10.

Send a pm to Crazy Frog (Bert) if you haven't already. He will send you the password to the download section.
More stuff in there than you could poke pin 10 at.

rossco

and I would suggest those wires may be for an auxiliary temp gauge?

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

21Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 pm

chrslws

chrslws
Quick update: checked the ignition module connector and the connections appear to all be clean. I cleaned the grounds on the center of the frame under the tank and on the left in front and below the battery. I guess I should be able to find the DeOxit product at Radio Shack? Any specific instructions for use or just whatever the can says?

On an unrelated note, I repainted the fender, seat pan, and side covers and they look pretty good, although I still need to buff them. Debating whether to paint or polish the tank. I feel like I got ahead of myself painting all that stuff before getting the bike to run, but I had everything out for another project.

22Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 pm

chrslws

chrslws
Testing resistance on the coils and plug wires might have given some fresh insight. Plug wires were each around 8800 ohms, except for one which I couldn't get to read no matter how I prodded it. It sparked when I put the plug in, but could never get a clean spot for a reading. Primaries showed 8.5 ohm (1/4 cyl coil) and 9.3 (2/3 cyl coil).

23Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Coils Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
BMW provided some better ignition coils to replace the early ones. The originals where all Black. The better ones have orange ends on the towers where the plug wires connect.
I spent weeks trying to get mine running right till I replaced those coils with orange ones. sounds like your primary readings are high? i'm thinking like 2-3 ohms here? your reporting 8?

24Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty link to wiring diagrames Thu May 16, 2013 6:17 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
try this or google k100 wiring diagram
hello from central Texas K100_e12

25Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 am

chrslws

chrslws
Quick resistance check on the coolant sensor shows 2.37k ohms at 67 degrees F. Looks close to the chart on the troubleshooting page, maybe a little under the curve.

26Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Good for you Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Good job. The coolant sensor is a less likely cause of probs. They are quite dependable as is (most?) of the wiring to sensor circuits.

27Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Print it. Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I get a great deal of value out of that elec. schematic.
I printed out the largest possible copy on my 11X17" printer,....... printed the similar, "simpler" "Electronic Ignition" diagram on the opposite side and then laminated the whole piece.
I can not make notates, etc wherever I wish to on it with a grease pencil & wipe them clean when finished.

28Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 am

chrslws

chrslws
On the diagram, is there a way I can get a higher resolution version? When I open it after saving, I can't blow it up without it going fuzzy.

So, at this point, is it possible that my troubles are simply due to needing a tune up (plug wires and coils)?

29Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty wiring schematics Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 pm

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
try this link, Im nit sure how big you can magnify the image without losing focused resolution.
http://home.comcast.net/~smithduck/bmw/kwiring/kwiring.htm
Rick

30Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 pm

chrslws

chrslws
Thanks Rick, that's better.

31Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Thu May 16, 2013 9:18 pm

chrslws

chrslws
planning on ordering plug wires. are the new ones from Beemerboneyard worth buying or should I try to get OEM? http://www.beemerboneyard.com/12121459876k100.html

32Back to top Go down   hello from central Texas Empty Re: hello from central Texas Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I dont think you would get a better price for new leads.
The Beemerboneyard had good prices but by the time the USPS gets its lb of flesh it's not worthwhile buying from him in Australia.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum