BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Cafe-K

Cafe-K
Silver member
Silver member
Hey guys,

As a part of my Cafe conversion I am trying to clean up my cockpit. I have a 93 K1100LT and I'm not too fond of the tall ignition housing on the upper triple clamp. Since there are not many aftermarket options I was looking into a K100 upper triple that would clean up my setup quite a bit. My questions is, are the triple clamp dimensions the same? Could I put a K100 upper on my K1100 forks? Thanks in advance!

Christian

2Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Re: Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Wed May 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Sievuun

At least you will have to enlarge the two forktube holes. K1100 has 41.7mm forks as far as i know where the K100 only has 41.3mm.

3Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Re: Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The distance between the fork stanchions are different also. The K1100 forks are spread 2cm wider than the K100, I believe, which might yield interesting problems down at the front axle. And the distance between the upper triple clamp and lower tripple clamp is wider on the K1100 -- 172mm ( 6.77" ) versus 160mm ( 6.30" ) for the K100/K75.

4Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Re: Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 am

Cafe-K

Cafe-K
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks guys. I think that based on the info you have provided it sounds like a show stopper already. Might have to go for a used K11 upper and do some good old fashioned rework. Or I guess I could just enjoy the bike and put some miles on it!!!! 1200 and counting since new ownership no major issues to report Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Re: Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
I reckon your idea to rework a K1100 item would work - should be easy enough to grind off the protruding ignition housing, clean it up and paint it?

I don't know if these guys post to the US or if the K100 16 valve is the same as the K1100 - you would need to check (but I think it is the same). £10!

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?q=500c&s=1&subs=500c&model=&bike=&title=ALL%20K\

I already have a spare Very Happy

Cheers
Dave

6Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Re: Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I have an idea that you might be able to copy. I am adapting a K1100 front end to my K75 customization. As part of that, I am fitting the K100 ignition switch into the upper triple. I had a machinist bore out the ignition hole to end up a very tight friction fit for the ignition switch housing.

Before boring:
Upper Triple Clamp Conversion IMG_1437

After boring:
Upper Triple Clamp Conversion IMG_1625

With the switch test fitted:
Upper Triple Clamp Conversion IMG_1626

I will finish up the installation by filing three grooves into the hole to accomodate the fingers on the switch bezel.

7Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Re: Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Thu May 16, 2013 7:06 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice work rob ...!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Empty Re: Upper Triple Clamp Conversion Thu May 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Cafe-K

Cafe-K
Silver member
Silver member
As always some great ideas and inspiration out there. I think I will grab an old used upper off eBay....around 20 USD and go to work on that until I am satisfied. That way I can keep my bike in one piece and know that my replacement will fit when it's ready! Grat advice Nd thanks for the pics rob that looks great Upper Triple Clamp Conversion 212902

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum