BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

thal13

thal13
3 weeks ago today I visited my sister's neighbor in Lancaster PA who had an "old bmw" he wanted to get rid of. 59,000 miles, Two flats, dead battery, stuffed in a corner with yard implements and car parts, but complete with panniers and with his assurance that it ran fine when he parked it a couple years ago. Had a Fox rear shock & the owner stated that the previous owner had upgraded the front shocks as well. Staintune exhaust. It had been dropped on the right side, but just paint damage (retouched). I offered $500 with absolutely no idea what I was getting into & trailered it home the next day.

Popped a new battery in her and it cranked just fine but didn't catch, so I started combing the online forums for info. After gathering much courage from others' experiences, I pulled the plugs and discovered massive corrosion in the plug wire caps, so went with NGK plugs and wires from bob's bmw. Installed them and confirmed fire but still not starting. Next up was pulling the fuel pump, and to my dismay I discovered the common issue of alcohol-ravaged rubber. I cleaned everything out (hours) and bench tested the bosch pump & it was seized. Again the forums saved the day and directed me to euromotoelectrics for an aftermarket alternative, & I purchased a kit that included lines, filters, pump, electrical bits and a foam sleeve to match the lesser pump diameter to the anti-vibe mount. I had to order a new anti vibe mount too, cause I had to basically remove the old one with a putty knife.

A few hours later I was thumbing the starter button, and slowly but surely it was catching, catching... and idling! Pretty rough at first, but quickly everything smoothed out and I took a low speed jaunt around the neighborhood. Pretty excellent, so I scheduled her for inspection. Needed a few minor tweaks, such as disconnecting the rear amber running lights (illegal in PA), plus new tires, but she's on the road again and I'm utterly impressed by how well this bike makes her weight disappear in motion. The day after inspection I was assessed for riding skills for a MSF ridercoach position (emergency stops, figure-eights in the box, swerving), and passed with no issues on this bike. I changed the fluids out, detailed her and took a 120 mile road trip to celebrate.

I just got the belly pan back on after finding the necessary hardware at Lowes (bolts and a solution to replace two missing threaded inserts in the bracket), so here she is, approximately $1100 total for bike and parts, maybe 10 hours in the garage poring over my friend's Clymers manual and working on the bike. I love the color combo - I think this is the "SE" edition based on the ABS and the color, plus it has factory temp and fuel gauges (not that the fuel gauge works great; it drops suddenly to empty after 2 gallons usage), heated grips, and factory leg warmers (boy these bikes shed a lot of heat out the sides).

https://i.imgur.com/UBaFNxI.jpg

Thank you, forum. I'm mechanically-inclined but I've never dealt with a fuel pump or a K-bike, although I have had an oilhead r1150r in the past. I feel like I have a bike that's on the verge of being a "classic", purchased for a song. Looking at used K parts prices, my outlay was a little more than I could get for just the tank and belly pan. This forum and others stepped up where the Clymers manual fell down, such as info on how to reset the ABS fault without dealer intervention.

Next up is replacing all the dash lights with LEDs & installing an Eastern Beaver mini-fuse box for gadgets. The bike has two powerlets on the left side below the seat, but I need power at the dash too...

Cheers! And safe travels,

thal13

Dewey V

Dewey V
You lucky son-of-a-gun! I live in Lititz, PA and am finishing up a frame-off restoration of my K100RS (1986) I also own a 1988 R100RS as a daily rider. If you ever need any technical assistance or just want to hit some great roads just PM me.

Dewey

thal13

thal13
Thanks Dewey! Usually when I'm out your way it's for a family function at my sis's house. Are there group rides in your area? I might get around to a restoration of my bike someday, but for now it's a commuter to take the mileage off my 15 mpg Trooper. Good to know of another local resource!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Thal welcome to the forum. You reckon that one day you may have a classic, let me tell you, you already have one and all for $1100 you lucky guy.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
And another one on the road.
This is the stories that we like to hear. Some research, some hard work and the bike runs as a new one.
Nothing is impossible when you are willing to work for it (This is a good incentive for next 'new potential owners').
Congratulation on your new purchase.
what could we do without the Internet? rescued a garage-bound 89 k100rs ABS, thanks to you. 78846

rescued a garage-bound 89 k100rs ABS, thanks to you. Frog15rescued a garage-bound 89 k100rs ABS, thanks to you. Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome mate ...from another "way down under brother "
happy riding to you !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
It's obvious that I'm not trying hard enough to find these "bargain-basement" bikes. Crying or Very sad

Good work Thal. The bike looks amazing.

The more you ride, the more you'll love it.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Wow!
Welcome Thal.
Nice bike!
I approve of your taste in K.
Nice find.

Pretty neat how you have Gone After making the thing run, as you have.
I read this forum for 2 months before buying mine.
Travelled to eastern Ky to get the thing late at night.
Came home with a big grin.

Left it in the truck overnight, because I was concerned/afraid that I might turn it over trying to get it out. Very Happy
Shouldn't have feared...turned it over later when parking at local City Hall to pay the water bill, right out in front of everybody....because did not watch that side stand go down and contact the pavement...and then watch the stand rock forward as I let the bike move back to set it. Embarassed

You know, we don't get to do this trip a whole many times...
Have fun with that bike!

Jim
PS...same same with the fuel gauge. WFIW. Stuff on here about that. Mine seems to have three postions, Full, Middle, and sub-Middle and that is a pretty good time to consider thinking about where the next fuel is available. Oh...and mine, when it ran out of gas...gave just a sputter and died..Shook it back and forth...no fire...cussed and had to push it along the road in wet knee tall grass.

Alheng

Alheng
Gold member
Gold member
That is one beautiful bike! Glad to see another one rescued!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum