BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Empty should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Wed May 22, 2013 6:14 pm

johnverbsky

johnverbsky
e: moJust Curious...what are the big differences between 85 k100 and later k100s....i read something about the fuel injection etc. and how much vibration is there relative to the k75. i rebuilt two k75 and have lots of extra parts..hope i can use them....m ost importantly i have a sprint fairing i bought that was off a k100 and it doesn't fit the k75 well....so i am buyinga bike to fit the fairing...sounds like justification enough for me.  

2Back to top Go down   should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Empty Read Wed May 22, 2013 6:36 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Read the forum home page articles about having just bought a K100, and elsewhere in the forums.....there is a lot of info on the pros & cons of early K's as opposed to newer ones.
As an early 85 owner, I would opt for a newer bike with 16 valves and possibly abs.
There are a TON of used K's available around the USA that are in very well maintained and reasonably low mileage condition for around $2000 - $3000.
Do yourself a big favor and learn from the 100's of pages of rebuild stories in the forum. You can buy a $500 bike and put $5000 more in it plus months of labor, or you can by a $2500 bike and ride it home.
I have given this advice to others but it's human nature that no one listens......I guess eternal optimism is bliss.
Most of us couldn't passably conceptualize how much money could be required just to hear it run, let alone drive.
Definitely do not buy one that's been sitting stored for a year or more with fuel in the tank.
Even if left in storage 120 days the ethanol fuel could have done substantial damage.

3Back to top Go down   should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Empty Re: should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
That's a touchy subject. Looking at this the other way around I find the 85's are closer to original design spec's and as such are more reliable overall.

The 16v models have 100hp vs 90hp for 8v bikes and that's attractive, otherwise, the later bikes have re-designed rear splines that are more troublesome, anti-lock brakes that add weight & complexity, etc.

BMW had to keep adding things, changing colors, and tweaking the design year-in and year-out to have something to talk about an hold public interest. One can find both good and bad with the later bikes, but the older models are just good. Smile

Have never ridden a K-75. BMW changed the angle of the forks a bit, which affects high speed handling, and that's why those bikes have a steering damper. Overall, the K75's are a great bike, more of the city version of the K100, and are fun to ride. It's unfortunate they didn't continue the line as many people feel that a bored-out 900cc version would have been outstanding.

4Back to top Go down   should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Empty Re: should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
AJ where did you get that about changing the angle of the forks. I cant find anything about it and the wheel base is 1516mm for bothe K75 and K100 models. I have no damper on my K75 and had it to near 200kph and it is rock steady.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Empty The damper Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
The K75 damper is internally mounted inside the steering head between the 2 bearings called the fluid-loc or some such term. I expect you have it. It is serviced & re-packed with special 300 grade silicone whenever the steering bearings are out for service. I read somewhere in the manual that the K75 fork is one of the best forks available in BMW K's. I don't really know myself

6Back to top Go down   should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Empty Re: should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Fluidbloc.

It was required owing to some high speed handling irregularities and was fitted to all K75 models but was found to be unnecessary on the RT.

I can vouch for the unpleasant handling.

The grease is no longer sold by BMW as a new damper is cheaper.

7Back to top Go down   should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Empty Re: should i buy a k100rs, 1985 Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ibjman wrote:The K75 damper is internally mounted inside the steering head between the 2 bearings called the fluid-loc or some such term. I expect you have it. It is serviced & re-packed with special 300 grade silicone whenever the steering bearings are out for service. I read somewhere in the manual that the K75 fork is one of the best forks available in BMW K's. I don't really know myself

Its a 93 RT and never had one from the start.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum