BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Leading link Fri May 24, 2013 12:22 am

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
I'm looking at putting a new leading link on the front of my K100. The current one works but isn't "certified" and doesn't actually give me any trail reduction because the axle is still in the same line with the steering head as the original forks. Any suggestions for a maker? Needs to be legal.
The one I have was made by Lee McPeake Engineering in SA. Seems strong enough, but is a bit crudely made.

Leading link IMG_1210_zps786e00db

2Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Fri May 24, 2013 12:47 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
SRK Engineering in Bathurst or BME(Bob Martin Engineering) in Vic if they are still doing links. In SA you should approach Highway Sidecars in Mt Gambier, I know they do sidecars, not sure about links.
Or think outside the square and buy from OS eg Unit http://www.hedinghamsidecars.com/Unit-Leading-Link-Forks.php
Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Leading link K-dogs10

3Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 am

Hi mate,
There doesn't seem to be a lot of people doing this sort of thing these days, sidecars being the unfashionable things they are.
There is Sean Kelly in Bathurst:

http://www.srkengineering.com.au/sidecars.html

I believe he charges like a wounded bull and take years to get stuff done. We are talking thousand of dollars.

I swapped a few emails once with a bloke called Paul Rooney, who lives on the north coast near Ballina. He builds things and was talking about making a double sided swing arm for K bikes but he never got back to me. You could try contacting him on rooney@northern.net.au and see how you go.

I'd be tempted to modify the one you have to give it more wheelbase...maybe an extension piece or something along those lines? Something to mount the axle further forward...

Whatever you do, don't throw the old one away!

Sean.

4Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Fri May 24, 2013 6:01 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:Hi mate,

I'd be tempted to modify the one you have to give it more wheelbase...maybe an extension piece or something along those lines? Something to mount the axle further forward...

Sean.

my thoughts were the same, maybe a 2" extension of the existing swingarm, dependant on if you can find someone willing to provide engineers specs for the RTA.
Unfortunately a lot of the small home based fabricators are giving up the game due to RTA redtape. bit of a shame.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Leading link 10_x_110

5Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
groverK wrote:
Saxon7 wrote:Hi mate,

Sean.

my thoughts were the same, maybe a 2" extension of the existing swingarm, dependant on if you can find someone willing to provide engineers specs for the RTA.
Unfortunately a lot of the small home based fabricators are giving up the game due to RTA redtape. bit of a shame.

I thought of just extending the lower arm of the set I have, trouble is to find someone who will do it. I might just ask around and see what happens. I know Sean at SRK is expensive, but I've sent him an email enquiry anyway.

6Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Thu May 30, 2013 6:08 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
I just seen one for sale in E bay, Brisbane. at $900 so far.EARL'S LEADING LINK

7Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Some how I don't think it would pass muster for the relevant authorities.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Fri May 31, 2013 1:18 am

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Its all looking to hard and expensive. I think I'll stick with what I've got and eat more weeties in the morning!
cheers, Phil

9Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Fri May 31, 2013 2:46 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Rockman wrote:Its all looking to hard and expensive. I think I'll stick with what I've got and eat more weeties in the morning!
cheers, Phil

It shouldn't cost a million dollars to extend your existing front swingarm a couple of inches. Any steel fabrication/engineering business should be able to do that.

Once you experience the difference it makes you'll say its worth it.

Al

Leading link K-dogs10

10Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Leading link Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:06 am

jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan
This is a set a forks a designer/consultant called Tony Foale made and designed in the late 70's and were used buy Kawasaki and others for their bikes. I want to make my version of these forks using Scaffolding pole tubes for the legs and use a set of USD fork Yokes to connect both scaff pole fork legs together and fabricate the  leading link arms and find a shock absorber to go inside the scaffolding tube leg. The only problem I see is getting the right size shock to go inside the tube but thats part of the fun of a self build project like mine. I think it will go good on my K100 diesel project bike.
ALAN
Sheffield S25
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Copy%20of%20trikeforks.jpg?sjid=877&_subject_uid=129974265&w=AAC3rR-SJf_pHBVpaBdIYPYE18bSs21HqnTWIm4RT3shvg

Last edited by jimmy62alan on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed a link)

11Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty leading links fork Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:24 pm

jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan
Sorry about the first link I tried to send but it would not respond, hopefully the new link works for now lol
ALAN

12Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:07 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
jimmy62alan wrote:Sorry about the first link I tried to send but it would not respond, hopefully the new link works for now lol
ALAN

You're not having a good day. This is what I see.

Error (403)
It seems you don't belong here! 

best to upload the picture to an image hosting site and use the link to the photo unless you can sort your permissions out at dropbox.

Al

Leading link K-dogs10

13Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:01 am

jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan
sorry guys, I'm better working with metal and wood than I am with computors lol.
I'll get the misses to sort it out haha
ALAN

14Back to top Go down   Leading link Empty Re: Leading link Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Remember this post? https://www.k100-forum.com/t5921-interesting-fork-modification ?
This may be a cheap solution.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum