BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty 1986 K100 cold start issues Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Good morning ladies and gents,

Concerning the above, I've run in to an issue when trying to start my bike.

Basically, once the engine is warm, I can look at the start button and she fires right up, however, when she's cold, she just won't start without a massive amount of fettling.

My approach has been to swap known good parts for those on the bike, which has included the following: Fuel pump, HT leads, coils, fuel filtre, air flow metre, adjusting the throttle position sensor, and choke set screw, as well as checking the air/fuel with an exhaust gas analyser. Sadly, none of these things have made any difference at all, so I'd greatly appreciate the input of your collective wisdom.

Cheers, Alex.

P.S. I have the same problem on the other 1986 (Victoria Police restoration).

2Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty Re: 1986 K100 cold start issues Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Try replacing the temp sensor which is behind the radiator on the lower left. If it is not giving the correct reading the cold start wont be recognized by the computer and the rich mix wont be delivered.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty Re: 1986 K100 cold start issues Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty Re: 1986 K100 cold start issues Fri May 24, 2013 11:06 pm

RicK G wrote:Try replacing the temp sensor which is behind the radiator on the lower left. If it is not giving the correct reading the cold start wont be recognized by the computer and the rich mix wont be delivered.

Hello mate,

I've already tried that, thinking that the problem MUST be related to either temperature sensing, or fuel issues.

5Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty Re: 1986 K100 cold start issues Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There is a black/yellow wire that goes from the starter relay to the computer to enrich the mix for starting check that out could be worth a go.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty I think Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Sometimes the simplest things are the most overlooked. I tried going back through Alexander's threads attempting to learn his recent history with this bike, but there's way too many posts & I can't tell, so I'll ask.
This bike may have been in refurbishment for quite a long time and storage before that.
Is there ANY possibility that this tank may still have some stale fuel in it?
Even 1/42 cup of old fuel mixed in with newer stuff will absolutely prevent it from starting when it's cold. It will run great warmed up but absolutely won't start cold. I learned this in a very hard way.
If there's any possibility that there is any old fuel inside, dump the tank, dry it out & refill.
Failing that,
I think a compression test (cold, Wide open throttle) is needed

7Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty Re: 1986 K100 cold start issues Sat May 25, 2013 12:10 am

ibjman wrote:Sometimes the simplest things are the most overlooked. I tried going back through Alexander's threads attempting to learn his recent history with this bike, but there's way too many posts & I can't tell, so I'll ask.
This bike may have been in refurbishment for quite a long time and storage before that.
Is there ANY possibility that this tank may still have some stale fuel in it?
Even 1/42 cup of old fuel mixed in with newer stuff will absolutely prevent it from starting when it's cold. It will run great warmed up but absolutely won't start cold. I learned this in a very hard way.
If there's any possibility that there is any old fuel inside, dump the tank, dry it out & refill.
Failing that,
I think a compression test (cold, Wide open throttle) is needed

I did have a long ponder regarding the fuel, and while I've ADDED fresh petrol to the minimal amount that was in the tank, I think it would be worth proceeding as you've suggested. I'll try that first thing on Monday.

8Back to top Go down   1986 K100 cold start issues Empty **Cold start issues solved** Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Much to my annoyance, and relief, the solution was simply to drain the tank air it out, and add 3 litres of 98 grade.

The NSWPOL bike now starts perfectly every time.

My sincere thanks to ibjman, and everyone else, for your comments and insights.

What WOULD I do without this wonderful virtual shed?

Alex.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum