BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Ed

Life time member
Life time member
maybe an award for "hard luck", 
for the rider/bike experiencing the worst luck on route to the gathering.
this award could possibly be in the form of a trophy incorporating a broken K part,
mmmmm... Rickmiester still has his broken FD stud from the Bingara trip....
and hoping all goes well , and safe riding for all, this could be alternated to any previous rides.

Last edited by groverK on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
groverK wrote:maybe an award for "hard luck", 
for the rider/bike experiencing the worst luck on route to the gathering.
this award could possibly be in the form of a trophy incorporating a broken K part,
mmmmm... Ricmiester still has his broken FD stud from the Bingara trip....
and hoping all goes well , and safe riding for all, this could be alternated to any previous rides.

There is already a general hard luck award, we know it as the Furchert award as it was won 3 times running by the same father/son duo for very worthy things including hospitalisation and a written off bike.

I'm actually looking for some awards specific to the K show/display

General Rally awards are:
-Longest distance male (ridden direct to the rally from wherever you live)
-Longest distance female rider (ridden direct to the rally from wherever you live)
-Longest distance pillion(or sidecar) passenger
-Longest distance sidecar (very good chance for Sean here)
-Hard Luck (stand up, tell your story, get people cheering), the story has to relate on your experience of getting to the rally
-Largest club attendance (The K100 forum group has a very good chance of getting this one)

Re the K parts, I'm on a similar track.  I have a couple of suitable K bits in the garage 'somewhere' tucked away safely that I'm searching for now.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? - Page 2 K-dogs10

How about " Dodgiest" outfit?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Sean, are you thinking about any possible candidates for this?

No Stan, no...was just a vague idea.....👽

Na F%$k it...I'd be a shoe in!! cheers

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Was that dodgiest or doggiest?  It could have been a typo.

Al

Oh definitely "dodgy".....:suspect:

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:No Stan, no...was just a vague idea.....👽

Na F%$k it...I'd be a shoe in!! cheers

I recon I could give you a run for your money:) 
Phil

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Has to be Doggiest Sean, from what i've seen on your vids that brick motors very well. And REGULARLY!

Thanks for the vids by the way, good stuff.

PS How does it feel having a mutt with wider renown than yourself?

Mate I'm happy to be the chauffeur...and it gets us both out and about!
Mine showing 262,000km now, but has done more. Odometer gone wobbly.

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
The thing that I treasure is the way that this forum brings together so many people and such diverse characters....on two legs, four legs or one leg. This is the rich weave of the K tapestry.

Some of us even have 3. ( I have a spare in the wardrobe)

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry, Jake the peg, diddle, diddle de...just dont mention Rolf!

65Back to top Go down   Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? - Page 2 Empty Going to the Far Kairn Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:46 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
1 RicK G
2 Marg G
3 K-K-K-Klompy
4 Al P
5 Marie P (F or R, not K)
6 Charlie
7 rossco
8 Michaellaw
9 Grover K
10 Smithy
11 gpguyer
12 Auntie BB (R, not K)
13 Alby & Nic (Now in a holding pattern pending outcomes Might have to drive yet :-( )
14 Rickmeister
15 Rockman
16 Waz
17 Gaz80

Entry paid today so I'm in! I'll plan to join up with Saxon7 & the northern guys on the Friday. How's the route planning going up there in Guyra?

ausbrick

ausbrick
Silver member
Silver member
Me and 2 other Mexicans on k's are planning on making the run north for the 30 year party . I'm hoping to ride me café currently getting a winter makeover. Look forward to meeting you bunch of misfits .cheers ausbrick

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
welcome to the party Ausbrick , hope all goes well with the makeover.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? - Page 2 10_x_110

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Just had a call from Cheryl at the Carcoar Hotel.
If you want a room you need to book personally.
Details up the page.

She also mentioned a deposit was taken for someone who payed on Mastercard. Unfortunately they did not take down details like who or when.

If you have left a deposit via mastercard it may be worth a ring back to claim it.

rosskko

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
While you lot are finishing up your weekend at the rally site I'll be on a Hawaiian Airlines flight, Seattle to Honolulu to Brissy, far above the mighty Pacific, homeward bound!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
dang dazza .....just a week or so late for this one ....
happy flying

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Have a good flight, will be good to catch up with you.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

AuntieBB

AuntieBB
rossko wrote:Just had a call from Cheryl at the Carcoar Hotel.
If you want a room you need to book personally.
Details up the page.
I finally extracted a digit and have booked my spot in Carcoar.
Ross, the publican, says that there's still lots of beds left and you're more than welcome to set your tent up out the back. There's even power available out there.
Luxury. Sheer luxury.

Last edited by AuntieBB on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Gaz,
A couple of us will be leaving Guyra on the Friday morning, (Sept 20th), and wandering off in the direction of Bingara where we might meet up with Rockman and continue on to Coonabarabran to camp for the night in one of the two caravan parks.( apparently one is more salubrious than the other)  Next morning we'll head off to Tottenham via Warren or somewhere. I think my friends Jonathan and Kate will be coming along on their K100Rt from Newie, so perhaps some arrangements could be made for a joint ride? They might not get away until the Saturday as J works friday nights. 'Sean.

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Sean, I've got Friday off work so I'll be looking for a days riding. I assume you guys will be planning a bit of 'scenic' route so when you work out a likely lunch spot I'll plan to catch up then (as long as its within 500 kms of Greta). I'll look forward to meeting your Newie pals at Totenham.

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Well, I'll be along for this one.  Alas not on the old K100RT!  2nd Gear disappeared on the way home from work a few weeks ago, and being only ~2000km since I had the gearbox apart to replace the gear selector shaft, I've had enough.  The k is now in pieces, and selling on ebay, and I have a new (to me) 2000 model VFR800 in the garage.

Tell ya what, it's a (much) nicer ride than the old K100RT had become, but holy stuff is it cold!  I didn't realise just how much difference that huge front fairing made!  Though being able to lane split has cut 15 minutes each way off my daily commute, so I think it was a pretty fair trade Wink

Yet to see how it tows - giving it one more week to see if the towbar sells on ebay, before I take classic up on their offer of a $100 credit as a trade-in when I order the towbar for the viffer..

Should be easier to spot me at the Far cairn - I can guarantee you won't see another VFR towing a trailer! Laughing

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
shame to hear of the woes, with such a reliable outfit.
how do you think the viffer will rate against it.
be good to see you at Far Kairn and help rustle the old K feathers.
what is your planned route to the birthday celebs?
you might be able to catch up with others along the way on Fri or Sat.

2018 Kart upgrade.

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
groverK wrote:shame to hear of the woes, with such a reliable outfit.
how do you think the viffer will rate against it.
be good to see you at Far Kairn and help rustle the old K feathers.
what is your planned route to the birthday celebs?
you might be able to catch up with others along the way on Fri or Sat.
Yeah, to say I was bummed would be an understatement.  Last FY, I spent $2900 on parts, and thought I was done working on it!  Took Mick (Furchert, aforementioned hard luck trophy winner :-p)'s K1200GT for a ride, the weekend the gearbox died, and realised just how little trust I had left in the old K100 - The 
steering head and final drive bearings (both since replaced), had been bad long enough, that I just didn't trust it to go around a corner anymore.  And I didn't trust myself with it either.   I was thinking on the weekend that if I hadn't deregistered and dismantled the K so quickly, I could probably ride it with some degree of confidence, after riding the VFR for a month - but no, the K has to go to pay for the viffer Wink

So far, the Viffer is SO much more nimble (surprising, since it's the same weight), accelerates like mad (light flywheel), and starts SO much easier.  That said, the suspension doesn't eat the bumps like the K did, bad country roads make for a lot of rear end movement.  There's NOWHERE near as much wind protection - it took me till the first weekend to get the time to move my heated grips from the K to the viffer, so that first week, I FROZE.  First gear goes too high up the speedo, so I find I'm slipping the clutch in traffic a lot, as with the V engine, you can't really do much below 3000rpm.

Towing will be interesting, with that high first gear - we'll see how it goes..  I've had HEAPS of trouble finding ANYONE who has towed with a VFR, which surprised me - out of the three VFR forums I've asked on, I only found one person who towed - though she was really helpful, her trailer is just a little tiny thing, so we'll see how I go with the hulking huge mini tourer, but I'm hopeful it'll go well Very Happy

Mick and I are leaving about midday on friday, staying overnight in Dunedoo, then probably arriving at Tottenham at about 11am on the Saturday.  The short trip to Dunedoo, I think is because some more newcastle folk are leaving late on friday, and meeting us there.

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:Gaz,
A couple of us will be leaving Guyra on the Friday morning, (Sept 20th), and wandering off in the direction of Bingara where we might meet up with Rockman and continue on to Coonabarabran to camp for the night in one of the two caravan parks.( apparently one is more salubrious than the other)  Next morning we'll head off to Tottenham via Warren or somewhere. I think my friends Jonathan and Kate will be coming along on their K100Rt from Newie, so perhaps some arrangements could be made for a joint ride? They might not get away until the Saturday as J works friday nights. 'Sean.
Sent my entry off yesterday. I'm going back roads.. Roughly, Inverell-Bingara-Wee Waa-Piliga-Coonamble-Collie-Trangie-Tottenham. Includes a fair bit of dirt. So I'll try to catch up with you in Bingara and then probably Tottenham.
Phil

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I am leaving Wednesday so as to get to Carcoar Saturday and do some touristy things on the way but wont be going to Bathurst on the way to Tottenham, will take a more direct route.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
After speaking with Sean  ( Saxon 7 ) today this is the plan we roughed out so far. A few of us will be leaving Guyra on Friday the 20th at about 9.30 am and heading to Bingara for a counter lunch at the pub, then  leaving Bingara and traveling through Narrabri then on to Coonabarabran staying overnight at the  John Oxley caravan park (unpowered sites $20 per person no need to book) leaving Coonabarabran on Saturday we will be traveling through Gilgandra, Collie, Trangie and on to Tottenham. All are welcome to start from Guyra  or meet up along the way. 

Smithy

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
OK, looks like Bingara pub for lunch on Friday. Seems like I might be leaving home a little earlier than those on the northern tablelands. Looking forward to meeting up. Should be a good day's ride.

Mate you're welcome to come up the day before and stop over here in Guyra if that works for you.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Hope you all have great time. Nicole and I wont be able to make the trip now. I have been looking foward to it. I expect to see lots of pics. If anyone feels like taking a set of lines of a lonely pair of leading links I would be most grateful.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
See what I can do for you mate

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the offer Sean but I'm still at that stage where work interferes with hobbies so can't leave until Friday morning.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Albyalbatross1 wrote:Hope you all have great time.  Nicole and I wont be able to make the trip now. I have been looking foward to it. I expect to see lots of pics.  If anyone feels like taking a set of lines of a lonely pair of leading links I would be most grateful.  
ditto ...will get as much info as I can

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Hey guys just been informed by my medical folk that the tingly finger sensation (if i can feel anything at all) I have is not just the product of owning a K100RS but something they lovingly call severe carpal tunnel syndrome...is this catching Ricky G?....anyhow they are cutting as soon as possible....how long before I am good to ride again Rick?...they programmed friday the 13th....not ominous much...anyhow hoping to still attend as I got a new tent and everything!!

It will be nice to be able to feel the front brake not just see the movement and stoppage....anyone else have this problem?

Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? - Page 2 Cts10

may get some zippers tattooed over this.

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? - Page 2 Au-log10

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
tough verdict Klompy, hope all goes well.
maybe an RT/LT conversion may be in order?
I have had neighbors and friends with the same, can be a real PITA. we'll be cheering for you Mate.

2018 Kart upgrade.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I had mine done first time in 1994 and within 2 weeks all was good and it would have been the same this time except for the infection and a stupid doctor saying "no I'm not handing out antibitics like candy when you have a very minor infection" 3 days later I spent 4 days in hospital on a intraveinous drip and that doctor was nowhere to be seen.
I might add here it's apparently very unusual to have it reoccur.
As for having an RS and it being the cause, when I was active on the Ulysses forum there were always people asking if anyone else got numb fingers and hands when riding and almost every one was a lean on your hands sports type bike.
FYI and anyone else I have a friend that was having Carpal tunnel problems in 1994 when I had mine done and delayed getting anything done for 15 years till her hands were almost totally numb all the time and they could not fix it.
So if you are getting it get it fixed its a very minor thing.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
crikey Klompy .....that's no good ..

glad to hear they put a finger on it ....and hope the op goes well ol mate !

that is cutting it real fine for the tour out west mate ,,,I  would have given it a month or so ...we don't seem to heal as quick as when we were kids ...

hope everything goes well mate

rt - lt handle bars could solve some issues ...but its about the look for sure ....and the rs certainly has an awesome ageless look .

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Klompy the grey brick wrote:

It will be nice to be able to feel the front brake not just see the movement and stoppage....anyone else have this problem?

may get some zippers tattooed over this.
A guy at work had both wrists done at the same time.  He came good pretty quickly after.  His issue was driving a Model T Ford, quite a few vibes from that and he was preparing to drive it around OZ.

I have had a numb throttle hand on some lean forward bikes(+big grips make it worse for me), My RS sidecar gives me no bother at all.

Al

Al

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just to add there is no way I would ride only 5-6 days after the surgery, that is asking just a bit much.

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
AL-58 wrote:I have had a numb throttle hand on some lean forward bikes(+big grips make it worse for me), My RS sidecar gives me no bother at all.
I'm having hell with the VFR - I get about 30 minutes of riding before I lose all feeling in my right hand. I solved it back when I had my ZZR11 by putting on over-sized grips, and by getting a throttle-lock for using after the 2+ hour mark. Then I got the K100 and never had a problem. And now I'm back to the numbness :-p

Would go over-sized grips again, but I've really gotten to like heated grips, not sure if you can get over-sized heated grips? Will definitely look into a throttle lock for the viffer though!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
During my recent stint in the horsepiddle one of the physiorapists asked if I ride a bike and I explained that it is a sit up not a lean on the hands type and she then said they get a supprising number of cases from riders of sports bikes.
it's not that the bike actually causes the problem but more that you are predisposed to it but the lean on your hands bikes surely do bring it out.
I didn't realize just how bad my hands were till I had them fixed.

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
When I had a TRX 850 it sent both my thumbs numb, hasn't happened on K100. Hope it goes well Mr Klompy.

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Damien, the oxford heated grips are fairly chunky compared to the K grips, not much softness in them though.not sure if you can add soft foam around them,and the forward lean motion may not prove too successful.
Mate if you get K sick , I have a spare RT awaiting the road, if you don't mind some PINK bling( getting ready for the Newcastle PINK RIBBON ride )
Maybe something for Klompy to test ride...........  No vibrating( sorry VIBRATION  Surprised )

2018 Kart upgrade.

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Good luck Klompy. Don't rush the recovery. I recall doing some thing on the banned list after an hernia op!

Still gives me grief occasionally, was worth it tho' !!!

Most of the reports I hear are not bike riders but being Tassie probably chainsaws etc. have the same affect?

IT"S the engine tho' not the bars! Boxer twin, good. Transverse 4, shocking. Sweet triple, mostly good, has 

it's moments, like low gears slow on dirt just when you want full feeling.

Mostly it's the age of the nut holding the handle bars. Replace that and you get another 30 - 40 yrs!

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys, I've just bought a pair of foam style sleeves to go on my grips that are claimed to work with heated grips but haven't got them on yet.
Purchase was not to reduce vibration but to get a better grip as my old heated grips are worn smooth and getting hard to hold all day.
Might be worth a look.
http://www.andystrapz.com/products-details.php?productId=178&productCategoryId=113&Level=1

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Did I just notice someone put their bandaged hand up to drive the recovery vehicle?

That's the way tiger. Shame to have that nice little trailer locked up in that dark garage for to long.

Oh, the wrist thing? Just get your wife to do it. Thats what I do and never had a sore wrist.

All the best with it mate.
Can you get it workers comp? Surely there is something you can say you did 30 years ago that started the process.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
veterans affairs are running with it and as it goes I was thinking of bringing the " beemer trailer" if I am still broken....and the family are in the background saying I cannot go cause I will be full of drugs...and incapable of driving.. I do believe that this theory has already been disproved by many over the years.
Anyhow we shall see how things progress....  and thanks Rossko but I am only getting one wrist done at a time so will not need a hand ...thanks for the offer though..What a Face

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? - Page 2 Au-log10

101Back to top Go down   Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is going to the Far Kairn Rally? Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Full of drugs what a load of c*** even this last one untill the infection set in there was no pain except for the first day and a couple of panadol did the job.

BTW I think this is a no cars job too but AL may be able to clear that up.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum