BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Dash switchs Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:14 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I note that BMW sells various red sign tiles for installation in the dash switches depending on their intended use.
I have a few switches & I hoped to move a tile from on to another, but I could not get the old one out of the flipper top. Even though I had the switch flipper handle separated from the switch body, I could not pry the tile out . Are they permanently glued in?

I have 1 switch that is a spring loaded "momentary" only switch. The tile say ABS. I assume this is an ABS reset switch?

I have 1 3 wire switch that is on/off and spring loaded momentary in the opposite direction. It has a Lamp bulb symbol on it. What would it's intended use be?

I have 1 switch that is 2 wire on/off only with an emergency warning tri-angle on it. I assume this could be for emergency flasher or any selected accessory?

Any ideas?
Thanks, Ibj...

2Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Re: Dash switchs Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The 2 assumptions are correct and the 2 way with on and momentary seems to be a police bike switch as that is where I come across them. Most likely for the red/blue lights.
Cant help with getting the little tiles out as I have never tried. The various tiles were discussed here some time ago but I don't recall how to get them out was discussed or not.
My thoughts on them is that if you can buy new ones then you must be able to get the old ones out but Hoo Nose

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Thanks Rick Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:33 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
The new basic switch comes without a tile. You buy the tile to suite. It could be that once it's installed you're stuck with it?

4Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Re: Dash switchs Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:01 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
more than likely the rubber - plastic around the tile has hardened up ......and now offers a lot more resistance to removal ?
it should be possible ...but at the expense of cracking the tile
I would have thought that possibly a probe along one edge would lift slightly ....to enable some movement

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Re: Dash switchs Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:20 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I've just been and tried one, they can be pushed out from the back, they just clip into place........unless a PO has superglued them!!

Paul.

6Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Paul Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:28 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Pushed out from the front towards the back, Correct? The end tabs are clearly on the back side so I don't see any way they can come out by pushing from the back. Conversely they have to be solid enough so one doesn't unintentionally push them in from the front when using the switch.
I know what it looks like with the tabs on either end on the inside. The one I tried must just be baked in by sun. I didn't try to hard for fear of busting it. Currently I have a re-saleable switch. In my event I just elected to R&R the switch from the dash panal & exchange the entire switch cover to have one with the lamp tile that I waned.

7Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Re: Dash switchs Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:49 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
No, the tile can be pushed out from the back.

Dash switchs Sam_0625

Paul.

8Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty I'm still not sure if... Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:04 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Paul, thanks for your help. I'm not sure that you and I are using the same terms.
When you say "From the back", to me,,,, that would mean that you put pressure on the back side and force the tile out the front side. Is that what you are saying?
Great photo, by the way.

9Back to top Go down   Dash switchs Empty Re: Dash switchs Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, if nobody has glued it in place, it should just pop out of it's recess.

Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum