BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ltisz

ltisz
Hey all,

Have a few questions about some modifications I've been thinking about to my 85 K100RS.

When I got the bike the lower fairings were kinda shot, and dropping it in my first week (it's a good 100lbs heavier than any other bike I've owned) just shot them a little bit more. So, I took most of the lowers off along with the kneepads. My mechanic said that having them off is fine as long as I check the tightness of the screws every so often, but the "wings" on the upper fairing sticking straight out have been kinda bugging me lately. I'm thinking of smoothing out the lines a little bit by bolting the end of the upper fairing to the mounting hole in the bottom corner of the gas tank:

Question about some small K100RS mods 1Smk1Q2

Can anyone think of any issues this might cause? Too much vibration to the tank/pump? Everything on the bike seems like it can handle a whole lot of vibration, the weak point there is the person sitting on top of it.

I'm also shopping around for handlebar risers and I noticed some of them (the cheaper ones, haha) aren't tapped to accept the bolts for the dash pad. I don't have any aux switches on my dash pad so I'm thinking of just scrapping the pad altogether, but I don't know what to do with the ignition switch. Has anyone somehow secured the ignition switch to the frame all on its own?

Thanks a lot everyone!

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Check out Charlies thread 85 rest hey im not making a show bike re fairing mounts.

Check out Scheffers thread re the switch.

HERE

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

ltisz

ltisz
Thanks for the links rossko. Scheffers thread is pretty legendary, I've read through the whole thing two or three times and it's really just beautiful all around. I've never seen charlie's before, that really looks great and it is getting at what I'm thinking of doing with my uppers.

I had some time this afternoon to get the ignition switch out and play around with some placement options, it can reach the little accessory panel with a lot of slack left, so I got to cutting and with the help of some duct tape I now have a perfect ignition spot:

Question about some small K100RS mods TxUvImf

I'm still interested in any opinions regarding bolting the fairing to the tank, if anyone has any input.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum