BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty NEW MEMBER Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:18 am

david901

david901
Hi, just saying hello to this forum.
I joined so as I could find out a little bit more about these bikes.
I have seen a few for sale and was considering one.

Cheers

David

2Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 am

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome David; you have certainly come to the right place if you wish to find out more about the K100.  I haven't owned mine for long, but am chuffed to bits with it.  They do not seem to make much money these days, as I suppose most riders want something more fashionable.  However, for a lot of people there is a large gulf between what they want and what they need; a K100 is a great all-round bike that can still be reliable, quick, comfortable, economical, and capable of being looked after by the owner. 

My recommendation would be to look around and buy one of the really lovely ones that are still knocking about; the value will only escalate with time.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

3Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:56 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome david

as you could guess, there are some passionate members here

you should find just about everything k related around here

enjoy  !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:56 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi David welcome to the Knuthaus
If you want an honest opinion about a K bike then maybe not here because we are all biased to hell, but I will do my best.

Some Ks are near 30 years old now but production only stoped 8 years ago so they are a bit like the VW of the bike world.
They have prooven themselves to be a long lived and reliable but as with any other bike they have problem areas but if you are prepared to do a lot of the work yourself they can be quite inexpensive to maintain unlike what many believe. One of the best things is that for a bike of it's age most parts are available new, some aftermarket some OEM and we can point you to the right places to buy.
When you go looking you will find them in all states of repair and mileage. Low mileage ones can be a trap because a great heap of things will need replacing due to age (anything made of rubber) but there are still good buys around especially in UK.
With a little care and attention to detail with your work on one they are a very rewarding bike to ride and even by todays standards are a well mannered and forgiving machine to ride.
Keep looking and when one stands out and says buy me then thats the one.
Ask lots of questions here and you will get the right answers.

Happy hunting

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

david901

david901
Thanks for the welcome.Very Happy

6Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:42 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Rick put it nicely.  I'd just like to add some of my own observations.  In terms of the used bike market, the early K100 and K75 bike seem to offer genuine value.  They are often available for little money, considering their robust construction, performance and continued availability of spares - the latter being of no small significance to an owner of a non-current model.
As with any used vehicle, is should be give a close inspection before you leap into ownership.  The info found here will be of great help.

7Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi David,
You will enjoy the K they are a great bike.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:24 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the site David Wink

9Back to top Go down   NEW MEMBER Empty Re: NEW MEMBER Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:45 am

Der Ziegelstein

Der Ziegelstein
Welcome David and good luck in your search.

2004 R1150RT "Dunkle Ruβ"

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum