BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Getting a cast wheel straight Empty Getting a cast wheel straight Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 am

jeffhestand

jeffhestand
Just wondering how much luck I would have or how I would go about getting my front wheel truer . It has had a hard pothole life I believe from po s and I'm not sure what to do . If the best alternative is buying a used one how do u know its any better ? Thx Jeff

2Back to top Go down   Getting a cast wheel straight Empty Re: Getting a cast wheel straight Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The Y spoke wheels are fairly soft alloy and respond to a smack with a rubber mallet rather well. I have even used a piece of 2 x 1 softwood with a 16oz hammer and taken the dimples out. Last one was a rear with about 3/16 depression on one side and it came quite easily.
don't get too brutal to start with you know softly softly catchie monkey.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Getting a cast wheel straight Empty Re: Getting a cast wheel straight Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:15 am

jeffhestand

jeffhestand
hey thanks rick G.. i can work on a lot of things but truing wheels is something i have never tried..that is if i can apply enough force in the right direction.. def a winter job.. also i put this in electrical by mistake. can someone move it to wheels, frame categroy. thanks jeff

4Back to top Go down   Getting a cast wheel straight Empty Re: Getting a cast wheel straight Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Here in Sydney, I'd take it to Laurie Alderton, he would roll the rim straight again.  He's done many K series rims over the years (inc a few for me).

I'm sure there would be a wheel repairer available if you ask around your local bike shops to see if they can recommend someone.  I know Woodies Wheel works seem to to pop up on ADVrider all the time, no idea where he is in the US though.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Getting a cast wheel straight K-dogs10

5Back to top Go down   Getting a cast wheel straight Empty Re: Getting a cast wheel straight Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 am

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Many companies do alloy wheel refurb.
A quick internet search came up with a local one for you AWRS midwest
I'm sure they would help

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum