BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
I need to solder/repair some broken heating element Ni-Chrome wires on one of my heated grips.

Any done this? I'm thinking that the Ni-Chrome may call for a special solder, temps etc.

Any input would be appreciated

Brian in Austin

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Unlikely that you'll be able to repair this damage.  Consider replacing the heating elements instead.

Installing Symtec grip heaters on K100RT++

I once restored the functionality on a BMW heated grip by soldering the leads back on to the element but there was no breakage in the nichrome wire in that case.

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Is it the left one by any chance?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check out a Pulse width modulator you get a much better control instead of just two settings

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
MikeP wrote:Is it the left one by any chance?
It is, I didnt realize this (new to me) bike had heated grips,....I was cutting off the old grips and nicked 3 of the wires

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
RicK G wrote:Check out a Pulse width modulator you get a much better control instead of just two settings
I have 3 of those cheap eBay chinese modulators on the workbench for my heated vest and grips and ?

Thinking it might have been you that suggested them in another thread.

Brian

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
robmack wrote:Unlikely that you'll be able to repair this damage.  Consider replacing the heating elements instead.

Installing Symtec grip heaters on K100RT++

I once restored the functionality on a BMW heated grip by soldering the leads back on to the element but there was no breakage in the nichrome wire in that case.
I actually had already purchased a heated grip kit at a local shop, again, not realizing that it had heated grips.

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
wildwestrider wrote:
MikeP wrote:Is it the left one by any chance?
It is,  I didnt realize this (new to me) bike had heated grips,....I was cutting off the old grips and nicked 3 of the wires
The left one usually fails because people drag on that side when putting the bike onto the main stand and the repetitive twisting does for the wires eventually. I know that's not the issue here but it usually means that the left side is most in demand.

The good news is that BMW has been fitting heated grips for so long that you may be able to find an odd one that you can cannibalise.

Believe it or not, the best lubricant and fixative for the rubber sleeve is hairspray!

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
[quote Believe it or not, the best lubricant and fixative for the rubber sleeve is hairspray![/quote]
Yes, Been using the hairspray trick on motorcycles and bicycles for years.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
to join the nichrome wire you will need to crimp the ends with some form of metal collet ....kinda like a swaged ferule on sail boat rigging wires .

obviously to maintain size restrictions this would need to be really small ...and with some form of insulating that from the rest of the electrical wiring ...perhaps some form of fibreglass tubing ...(a common replacement for asbestos woven fibre tubing in electrical terms )

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:(a common replacement for asbestos woven fibre tubing in electrical terms )

Showing your age there Charlie Have 3 broken Ni-Chrome wires in my heated grip, how do I repair? 44271

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Halo wrote:
charlie99 wrote:(a common replacement for asbestos woven fibre tubing in electrical terms )

Showing your age there Charlie Have 3 broken Ni-Chrome wires in my heated grip, how do I repair? 44271
yes indeed halo mate ......
but it was remarkably good for this sort of stuff

given proper handling ...there wouldn't be an issue huh ? instead of just dropping the whole idea ...but then you have these end users ...so that's a good plan i guess .

good to see you round mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum