BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty was i running out of fuel.... Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:45 am

aeronut7

aeronut7
hi all.....was out riding today and engine died a few times....I now id done 180 miles so far on a full tank
but thought id have a bit more left....
managed to get to the petrol station....filled up taking 19,4ltrs.
the specs say itll take 22ltrs so was it missing every now and then cos it was low on fuel...
it died but straight away responded to throttle.about another mile same again....
im pretty sure I was coming off a roundabout every time id happened so am deffo thinking it was cos low on fuel.
any ideas...is this a common occurance...
cheers....

2Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Most likely running out of fuel I have never got more than 19.7 lt into a K100 tank.
The actual volume of the tank is 22lt but you cant get that much in.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:14 am

aeronut7

aeronut7
thanks for that....I looked in the tank before filling up and could just about see fuel but the a lot of other stuff in there.
cheers

4Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:30 am

Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like it Aeronut. I reload every 150 miles, give or take 10 and usually allow about 10 miles per litre (45 imp MPG) unless the red light tells me I'm doing worse. 

I've never run out but had the spluttering effect alright, swooping and hooping along the road to try getting the juice to the pickup. I think Charlie99 refers to this as the chicken dance Smile - Anyway I've never managed to get more than 18.3 litres in even at this point. The pump filter and hoses etc take up some of the volume but I don't know where the rest goes missing in the equation.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

5Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol  thanks for the reminder will

I think ainsjac had me down for a heart attack  whilst hanging off all sorts of angles ......grin

ill go with you ..."chicken dance" sounds, so more..... out there ..... huh ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty running out of fuel Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:32 am

Dale S

Dale S
Silver member
Silver member
One hundred and sixty miles!
I found that out in a rather undignified way when accelerating from a
traffic light and halfway across Big Red decided to test my grip on the bars! We had one of those moments figuring out who was in charge of things. Probably one reason to not have my throttle grip adjusted to a
slow to neutral return rate.was i running out of fuel.... Icon_eek
 I guess the fuel rolled back as I took-off and stalled the engine,then sloshed forward again and engine came back on line at previous throttle
opening. Not much fun when your not expecting it!
I'll be paying more attention to fuel level after that episode.
Now I gotta go get treated for wiplash. was i running out of fuel.... Icon_redface

7Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:34 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol whiplash ....

have the same issue time to time

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
My K100 started to act oddly on low gasoline. It got worse and worse until I could not get much more than 200km with full tank before problems with fuel not getting to the engine. I finally realized what was going on when my fuel pump dropped off its place. The rubber holding it was totally melted (among other things) and pump did not get fuel. So you might want to check your pump, its rudder and that thing in bottom (whats its name?) just be sure.

This might be usefull thread: https://www.k100-forum.com/t5568-photos-from-inside-the-fuel-tank

Now with all new stuff in the tank (except the pump itself) 350km is doable and there is no problems when fuel is as low as less than 2 litres.

9Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I agree with Tenox.
I would whip the filler cap off and have a good look at the pump holder and the nylon gauze. Might be worth changing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently, too.
Only time a K let me down was because the filter had blocked completely. The filter had blocked because fragments of pump holder had got through a hole in the nylon gauze when it began to break up.
The pump died shortly afterwards and I think it may have been because of the rubber fragments.
Normal riding I generally get 170-180 miles before the red low level light comes on.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

10Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty was i running out of fuel. Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:11 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Just be sure you use fuel line rated for internal tank use, that's where a lot of grief comes from. How do I know?
What a Face

11Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty NOT FOR PUSHING Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 pm

ausbrick

ausbrick
Silver member
Silver member
I  get a warning when  accelerating hard,all the fuel runs back in the tank and the pump stops picking up, sudden lack of power and fuel runs back . Put 19.6 ltrs in the tank on the way back from the far cairn rally , it was running on fumes as we rolled into the servo I'd turned off lights and hand warmers and coasted as much as possible to save fuel,  lucky it was flat country it would of stopped  on a hill. We both put the same amount in which surprised me as I expected the 🐷 1100 to be using more than the 8v k100
The other thing I have noticed is how low the pump  sits in the tank  I have had a really worn old pump mount rubber which let the pump sit right on the bottom of the tank also some of the cheaper replacement pumps are a smaller dia  this will give almost no warning  . Fill up when the light comes on. Kays ain't made for pushing specially when fully loaded.    Cheers AB

12Back to top Go down   was i running out of fuel.... Empty Re: was i running out of fuel.... Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
My K1100 gets considerably better fuel consumption than the K100 ever got (K100 48-50 mpg,  K1100 60-62 mpg)

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum