BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty VW's Dirty Little Secret Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Driving my Golf back from a job yesterday, it suddenly started coughing / missing and carrying on with an engine warning light coming up on the dash. I've never touched the engine on this car, it's been faultless over the last 5 years so I didn't even know where the plugs where screwed in. I spent a bit of time and got the software working on the laptop to read the error codes from the car and all it said was, 'multiple misfires on cylinder one'. I had to open the bonnet for a look.

This is what they have. 

The coil is built in to plug connector so there are 4 of these on top of the engine. The plugs are a long way inside the engine.
VW's Dirty Little Secret CoilPack 
When they fail, they really fail and actually fall apart. Here's No 1. The stupid thing is a 2 piece device
VW's Dirty Little Secret Head

The second part gets left attached to the spark plug deep in the motor.
VW's Dirty Little Secret Body

Try getting that out on the side of the road. I had to put a screw into it to get something to grab.
VW's Dirty Little Secret Screw

Once I got the search terms right it seems this is a common thing on VW's and a new one is $91 here or $200 posted from the US for a set of 4 including a set of new platinum plugs to boot. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by RobinW on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: VW's Dirty Little Secret Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They are becoming quite common nowdays the F650 and 800 have them and my BMW 320i also uses them as do most of the BMW from the early 90s onward. In one respect they are a good thing as you haven't got high voltage around where some goose can fry themself but as usual the drawback is if the gasket fails the hole gets full of oil and if hot is a fire hazzard..

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: VW's Dirty Little Secret Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool 

VW's Dirty Little Secret 2006lc10

I have the same on my Merc and here is a pic of the KTM LC8 engine used in their 990 Adventure bike look at the plug caps "look familier"

BIG D

4Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: VW's Dirty Little Secret Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Are any of those a 2 piece coil pack? The VW one I just picked up is again 2 pieces, the ones I see from the US are one piece so they may fail but they won't break in two. The plug hole had lots of bits of ceramic sitting around the plug. I had to shoot the compressor down the plug hole via some fuel line to blow the rubbish out of there.

It's going again now but with 110K Kms on the clock it might be wise to get a full set from the states. I mean they're only $25 each there not $90.

5Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: VW's Dirty Little Secret Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:51 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Personally I'm in favour of them, individual coils per plug that is. 

As long as they are not too model specific ie. same used by many manufacturers/ engines.

Simple, no plug leads to breakdown , only low tension hookup, simple.

By the way Robin, you got a V8 golf?  $200 US?

I would have gone to the wreckers for one.

6Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: VW's Dirty Little Secret Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26 am

About $200 for 4 with new plugs including postage. Postage is almost $70 from the US.
I don't know of any wreckers any more. The ones I used to use sold up and the land got subdivided for housing.
I went for a run round the boarder ranges to the south on the week-end. It took an hour just to get out of town and onto country roads. The city is just getting too big these days.

7Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: VW's Dirty Little Secret Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:51 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
I don't think your problem deserves the Dirty lil' Secret moniker, shit happens.

If you had the DSG transmission however I'd be fully on for Dirty......etc.

Despite widespread problems in recent Golfs, much publicised, they have got away with it!

VW denied there was a problem for over a year, if I recall, long time anyway, SHAME VW!

Best car in it's class? Maybe, but don't expect backup from the "Peoples' car " maker.

8Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: VW's Dirty Little Secret Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:28 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RobinW wrote:About $200 for 4 with new plugs including postage. Postage is almost $70 from the US.
I don't know of any wreckers any more. The ones I used to use sold up and the land got subdivided for housing.
I went for a run round the boarder ranges to the south on the week-end. It took an hour just to get out of town and onto country roads. The city is just getting too big these days.
Thats why I moved up here. The only reason so many people live there is that the whole joint sucks and it's hard to escape the pull of the vacuum.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   VW's Dirty Little Secret Empty COIL PACK Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:28 pm

ARTCOLLINSJR

ARTCOLLINSJR
Silver member
Silver member
My 2002 A4 had a recall on them. Replaced free

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum