BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   FM Radio Handlebar controls Empty FM Radio Handlebar controls Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
OK, I'm hooked on this site!

My K100LT (1991) has a FM/MW/LW radio cassette player installed in the left glove box and speakers mounted on the "dashboard". Disappointingly, it is not a BMW original fit. The previous owner told me that the radio worked (it does) but that the handlebar mounter controls (volume and station tuning) did not. 

FM Radio Handlebar controls Application

I removed the radio and it was obvious why the handlebar controls didn't work - they weren't plugged in to the radio. The handlebar controls terminate in an old style DIN audio fitting which does not have a corresponding socket on the replacement radio.

I recently bought a new radio - DAB with USB inputs (for iPod etc) and bluetooth connectivity. I had hoped to fit this radio to the bike, but have learnt the expensive way that the bluetooth is not compatible with the bluetooth in my Just Speak unit integrated in my new Caberg helmet (Doh!). I thought bluetooth was bluetooth, but it won't even talk to my GPS unit (apparently it will only speak to GPS units designed specifically for bikes). None of this is declared upfront in the sales blurb and I am waiting on Caberg providing actual technical specifications for me. The whole point was to get radio/ipod direct to my helmet and avoid deafening all and sundry via the speakers.

Anyway.....given that I may need to use the speakers after all, my question is how do I hook up the handlebar controls to the radio? I can't find any useful reference in either my Owners manual or my Haynes Manual. When riding, the radio is inaccessible due to the glove box cover so I really need the handle bar control to work or I might as well ditch the radio. There is nothing in my new radio instructions that talks to connecting remote controls, but as most modern cars have remote controls on their steering wheels, there must be the ability to provide this remote control via the ISO connectors on the back of the radio.

Any ideas?

2Back to top Go down   FM Radio Handlebar controls Empty Re: FM Radio Handlebar controls Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The remote control you got is analogue, most radio/stereo of today (and far back in years)
using digital remote controls.

The German company AKE electronics makes a interface/adapter so you can use the OEM remote control on the bike together with certain models of Blaupunkt and Sony radios.
..........ekspensive.

3Back to top Go down   FM Radio Handlebar controls Empty Re: FM Radio Handlebar controls Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
It is probably no comfort Paul, but the lid for the side box has a little carrier attached to the box.

If you look between the tank and the box, you will see a hook sort of arrangement.
At the front end of the box is a retracting bracket (for want of a better word).
With the lid on its edge and top (where the key goes) facing the box, the lid can be carried by the built in bracket.
Claro?

FM Radio Handlebar controls Mvo-5w10

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

4Back to top Go down   FM Radio Handlebar controls Empty Re: FM Radio Handlebar controls Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
OK - thanks Inge K, this is much as I feared but it was a useful reference. I checked out the AKE website (143 euros for the DIN Analogue to Digital Convertor - and nil in stock). Just how badly do I want to hear noise anyway?

I also looked at Rossko's suggestion for stowing the lid when riding. Unfortunately, the side clip is missing and, besides, the glove box cover for the radio is so bulbous, I doubt if it would fit there anyway without com in in contact with the front forks. However, for the odd nice day - I can easily chuck the cover in the top box on the back of the bike and at least have access to the controls (although not ideal while riding).

Thanks guys for your useful advice.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum