BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Indicators Empty Indicators Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:43 pm

BobW

BobW
A bit long winded this but I only ride the thing, don't really know how it works, although willing to learn.
Had the bike laid up since September outside but under a good cover.
Started first time on the button but indicators a bit of a mystery.
Left hand works fine, right hand flashes once then all 4 come on and flash like a hazzard warning, (I don't have a HW switch on this bike)
Also the brake warning triangle stayed on as the front brake switch was not working, a few miles later and it sorted itself out with the brake light switch doing as it should..
Last problem the speedo.
This bike has had a Km only fitted as the original was pinched when two bikes were rebuilt side by side (not by me I will add) Sometimes it works then it won't, a tap on the side can get a response but not for long,
I'm not in the position to buy a replacement so a bit of tippex will give me 30, 40 and 70 to keep me out of trouble in the dark as the Sigma cycle speedo has no illumination.
Any ideas to these annoying glitches?

2Back to top Go down   Indicators Empty Re: Indicators Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:46 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like poor connections.  Corrosion might have occurred over the storage period.  Some time spent cleaning each connector under the tank with Deoxit might take care of this problem.  Electrical gremlins can also be traced to excessive dirt in the starter motor or worn brushes.  Do you know the last time the starter motor was disassembled and cleaned?  Instructions are here.

3Back to top Go down   Indicators Empty Re: Indicators Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:09 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
One common cause of wonky turn signal behavior is dirt in the starter.  To fix that, take it apart and clean it.

Flaky speedo: http://classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/flakyspeedo/flakyspeedo.htm

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Indicators Empty Re: Indicators Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:01 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Speedo problem is likely corrosion on the connecting pins, try the main external plugs first then if no joy
you have to go inside. Plenty of posts here will try to find them for you. I tinned the affected
male pins with solder then used DeoxiT everywhere. Some folk twist the pin slightly to give positive contact.
Will try to find them for you.

5Back to top Go down   Indicators Empty Re: Indicators Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:15 am

BobW

BobW
Thanks for the input, the starter motor was disassembled a year ago when the body was turned on a lathe to take up excessive slack. That will be my (kind mechanic friend's) first port of call.
In for MoT next monday so fingers crossed.

6Back to top Go down   Indicators Empty Re: Indicators Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 am

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Clean all your grounding points under the tank and the main earth ground from the battery.  Clean all the connections under the tank for your switches.too  Also the offending turn indicator switch should come off (the Phillips screws tend to seize in the plastic so stripping the head of the screw is pretty easy) and use contact cleaner on the switch gear.  Cleaning the starter may also help

7Back to top Go down   Indicators Empty Re: Indicators Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:30 am

BobW

BobW
The problem was under the tank so indicators working correctly now, just the front brake stop light switch playing up, It takes a dozen or so applications before it comes on canceling the warning triangle.
Good news is the speedo started working again...wonder how long that will last?
Mot Wednesday so fingers crossed she goes through.
thanks everyone

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum