BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:48

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
We won the fight

Motorcyclists will be allowed to legally ride between cars on NSW roads from July as part of new measures to ease congestion.

The state government on Wednesday made NSW the first state in Australia to legalise the practice of lane filtering, following a successful two-month trial.

Under the scheme, fully licensed riders will be able to ride through stationary traffic at speeds up to 30km/h, but not during school zones, beside kerbs or next to trucks and buses.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the decision was a commonsense solution. ''We held a successful trial in [the] Sydney CBD last year of motorcyclists being exempt from existing lane-filtering laws in an attempt to ease road congestion and measure potential safety issues for other road users,'' he said.
Advertisement

''As a result … we will introduce a new law that will permit fully licensed motorcyclists to legally filter past stationary vehicles at intersections when it is safe to do so.''

Road safety experts have cautiously welcomed the move, but urged authorities to monitor the speeds at which motorcyclists conduct lane filtering.

Chairman of road safety at the NSW Injury Risk Management Research Centre Raphael Grzebieta said filtering between vehicles at speeds greater than 30km/h brought a much greater risk of serious injury or death.

''In a 30km/h impact with a pedestrian, for instance, research has shown there's a 10 per cent risk of a fatality or serious injury; at about 60km/h it's around the 90 per cent mark,'' he said.

Professor Grzebieta endorsed the law being limited to experienced riders.

He called on Roads and Maritime Services to monitor and evaluate the scheme after 12 months.

Motorcycle Council of NSW spokesman Chris Burns welcomed the change as it could prevent riders from being injured.

Surprised--o:  Big thumb

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

2Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:07

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Lucky bastards!  I'd be careful though until cagers get used to it.

Last edited by duck on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:39; edited 1 time in total

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:20

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
We're used to filtering here, but you have to be careful of course.
One big danger when the tin boxes are stationary is OPENING doors. affraid 

Last August I filtered more than 5 miles on the M25 and joined a row of riders at the front of the queue waiting for the police to re-open the motorway.

Paul.

4Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:39

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:Lucky bastards!  I'd be careful though until cagers get used to ti.

There are some of them that will never get used to it, and you will always find some dopey idiot who will turn across you without looking or signaling.

5Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:41

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I get to filter (or split as us Yanks call it) when I ride in California.  Drives me crazy when I come back home and can't anymore.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

6Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:53

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
They are differentiating Filtering and splitting this way:

Filtering is between stationery vehicles (legal)
Splitting is between moving traffic (not legal)

Max speed while splitting 30kmh
Fully licenced riders only
not between traffic and either kerb
not between trucks or buses.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

We Won the fight K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 13:11

GTJos

GTJos
Silver member
Silver member
Very Happy Hi all!
We are kind of used to this over here. 
I always have my hazard-lights on though and -of course- keep my speed at a reasonable limit, permitting me to stop in time, in case one of the tin boxes decides to change lane just in front of me.
Always have an eye on the front wheel of the cars in front, so it's possible to anticipate an upcoming 'change of lane'.
There are stupid types, that try to block your passage but: they are a minority. Most of the drivers give room when the lights of the bike appear in their mirror; I always thank them with a 'thumb up'...
Good luck and congrats to the Aussies !
Jos.

1986 K100RS 0085647 + sidecar Velorex 562
                                1985  K100RT  0027026

8Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 13:17

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
A coupla years ago I was rolling south slowly on the M1 in Brisbane, 'filtering' through hot 'n' heavy, lane after lane, just about fully stopped traffic on my K100RS. As I approached the truck layby I spotted a motorbike occifer shaking his head at me and gesturing wildly to pull over. I complied, as what are you gunna do when he's astride an ST1300 and has a big gub on his hip?! He asked me what I thought I was doing and I replied, earnestly, 'filtering'. His face got all contorted in red-faced rage as he mocked me with my own word, 'Filtering, eh!? Do you know that's illegal and is an $80 fine? Lemme see your licence.' Again I complied.

In a few moments, after watching the majority of the B Doubles, utes and cars that I'd so smugly got ahead of earlier, now rolling past me, he produced the ticket and warned me in no uncertain terms that I was not to do it again, but that the ticket wouldn't appear on my driving record. Then he settled down a bit, relaxed and asked me how I liked my K bike, said he had a garage full of Guzzis at home. I waited for him to ask me if I wanted to be his friend because suddenly, now that he'd ticketed me, and his business was done, and as we both rode motorbikes, we must of course be besties. I asked him with a smile if I could go, he seemed perplexed that I didn't wanna have a chat, and I rode away.

Did it stop me? Nuh, I'm just more careful not to get caught. I'm glad to see some sense in the NSW traffic laws at last. I hope Queensland follows suit. I shudder to think what it'd be like here in and around Seattle with the moss-covered, narrow-laned highways, raised Bots Dots, thick paint stripes, and incredibly inattentive drivers.

9Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 13:48

Jhepburn

Jhepburn
Silver member
Silver member
Several years ago, I had a job that saw me commuting in peak hour, along the Western Freeway in Brisbane.

Every morning there was a string of bikes going along the pretty decent verge, past traffic crawling at speeds that require feathering the clutch.

BUT: There was a pull-off, hidden just after a corner, where police often sat - multiple police - pulling everyone over.

I would get onto the motorway, slide up the verge, merge into traffic at that corner, saunter past the police looking all innocent, then go straight back to the verge when I could. I saw some cars moving sideways to give us more room. Some trucks that made us hang back a back.

Once, while I had to drive, I stuck my arm out the window and gestured 'keep it down' to a bike coming up the middle of the lanes behind me. He saw me, merged, and got off scot-free. May have been coincidence, of course.

I have seen one accident in total - when a biker had something thrown at him from a car.

I have been given one ticket for using the verge - on a different motorway. The bike copper said "Well, it's not a lane, otherwise I'd be using it." He then proceeded to tell me how dangerous the verge was. So I started counting - every day, on that commute, I would count at least ten instances, in each direction, where cars made me take evasive or precautionary action while in traffic. I have not once felt threatened while on the verge.

10Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 14:09

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I am happy about this and while I can (illegally) filter at the moment I tend not to unless the traffic is really bad.
In the mornings I am going to work.
No hurry there.
At work I get paid by the hour.
No hurry there.
On the way home I leave work 2 hours before peak hour.
No hurry there.

It amuses me that the new bikes have retractable mirrors so they can fit through the smallest of gaps.

I have seen a few close calls with others filtering, but the funniest was two Harleys in three lane traffic. One in between each of the lanes.
Left guy thought the right gap was bigger and cut between two cars. Straight in to the back wheel of the other rider. Bit of a brown moment for one guy, but thankfully both rode away. Oh how I laughed. Twisted Evil

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

11Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 17:35

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
If lane splitting was allowed in my country I would still never do it...I ride for fun and pleasure, never in that much of a hurry.

12Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 17:46

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Lanesplitting IS fun.  I really enjoy it. It's a good test of your riding skills as well.  I think of it as a video game - but you only get one quarter.

In rush hour traffic or in a big traffic jam after an accident, it's a godsend.

And filtering at stoplights is good too.  Gets you out in front of traffic instead of stuck in the middle of it.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

13Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 18:10

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I rarely lane split as I feel a bit wide to do it without endangering my panniers.
Now that NSW has allowed it the idiots in Queensland will make it triple illegal and double the fines just to be ornery.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

14Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 18:15

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
GTJos wrote:Very Happy Hi all!

Always have an eye on the front wheel of the cars in front, so it's possible to anticipate an upcoming 'change of lane'.
The most important is to have an eye on the car's mirror. 
If you cannot see the eyes of the driver, He may not have seen you.
Legal or not, I very seldom ride between cars. It just not feel right.

15Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 18:34

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:I rarely lane split as I feel a bit wide to do it without endangering my panniers.

That's what city cases are for.  Only have to worry about the mirrors making it.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

16Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 19:49

Jhepburn

Jhepburn
Silver member
Silver member
I use a top box for commuting Smile

Talk about timely: The first time in ages I have split, and it was half an hour ago as I type this, on my way home.

It turns out that the adequate motivation was "Getting the hell away from your load of nutters." There was a bunch of vehicles jumping between lanes trying to get ahead in a 70 zone. Pulled up at lights, the two cars in the left-hand lane were on the far left, probably thinking they'd be faster around the corner, so I think "to hell with this" (or similar language) and pulled through. Lights turned green before I even braked to stop, so I just opened the throttle and hit 7000rpm in second gear while banked over.

Wasn't bothered by idiot drivers for the rest of the ride.

17Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 22:32

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
The cars never move far enough apart for the sidecar to get through!  Mongrels.

Al

18Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 22:53

I'm looking at it as a kind of personal challenge.  Laughing

19Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 22:57

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I don't think Bella will see it that way.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

20Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Wed 26 Feb 2014, 23:01

RicK G wrote:I don't think Bella will see it that way.
 lol! That's why her 'doggles' are peril sensitive!

21Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 00:25

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Do they black out completely when impact is imminent?

Al

22Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 00:35

Well of course!

We Won the fight Indexz10

23Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 00:47

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:I'm looking at it as a kind of personal challenge.  Laughing

Lane filtering in the traffic metropolis of Guyra??? .................. I'd like to see that. Sleep

24Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 01:46

oi!
Sometimes we get down to........Armidale.  sc3

25Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 04:41

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
We Won the fight 44271

26Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 05:51

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
I have never been a fan of filtering, and even less of lane splitting.  Some years ago I dealt with a crash on the A13 going in to East London.  It was a Monday morning and there was stationary traffic in all three lanes approaching a flyover.  Two brothers on a 550 Kawasaki were filtering between lanes one and two when a passenger in a van in lane two decided to open his door and transfer to another van operated by the same company.  The rider hit the door end on with his right knee, splitting the knee wide open as a result, and snapping off the ball joint at the other end of his right femur.  Nobody would have reasonably anticipated a passenger opening a door in such circumstances.

Words cannot describe the pain he was in.  

I will filter past stationary vehicles, but only on the offside and when I can be at least a door's width away.  I filter at a very low speed.  I will not go between lanes of vehicles whether they are moving, or not.  I plan my journeys so that I leave in plenty of time and therefore do not give myself any pressure to do what I consider to be sub-optimal.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

27Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 09:10

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Only if the traffic is stationary and then slowly, 2000rpm 2nd or 3rd gear. The A14 going east on a Monday Morning can be a nightmare and its often the only way to make forward progress. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly some riders filter even in moving traffic, I just don't have the neck. John

28Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 12:11

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
John, it is not a case of you not having the neck to speed between moving vehicles; it is a case of you having too much sense to do it.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

29Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 13:29

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It's one if those "Don't knock it until you've tried it." type things.

I, like many here, used to think it was a dangerous and stupid idea. I SWORE I would never do it.  Then, while riding down through California to visit my dad, I got stuck in stop-n-go Friday 5pm traffic on The Santa Monica Freeway.  It was pretty hot and VERY boring.  After watching 10 or 15 splitters go by I decided to give it a shot.

I discovered that, done prudently, it is nowhere near as dangerous as it appears to onlookers. 

It's done all over Europe and many other countries.

Here's a video about lane-splitting (14 minutes long though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU

And although it does get you places faster, it's not about being in a hurry.  I am NEVER in a hurry when I ride because I figure that's a good way to lose focus or take a risk that I shouldn't.  I'd rather be late than dead/hospitalized.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

30Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 16:09

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Lane splitting or filtering is still illegal here in British Columbia. I guess the motorcycle lobby is spending its time keeping priority loading on the ferries.

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

31Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 17:01

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
I live in the UK where lane splitting or filtering is considered legal.  Surely one of the reasons we ride motorcycles is to be able to "make progress" where car drivers cannot.  Most car drivers are quite reasonable about this practice and I find that such people very often deliberately make room for me to pass them in a fashion that is still illegal in many countries - they might not entirely approve but they do seem to realise that it is not only legal but actually helps the traffic in general to keep moving more smoothly. Just my thoughts and experience as a UK Driving Standards Agency approved motorcycle instructor Wink

32Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 17:07

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
In France the car drivers expect you to filter, at any speed. They'll move to the side to let you pass most of the time. You get odd looks if you don't do it.

Best fun is to filter on the Paris Peripherique. Or at least watch the locals do it. Not for the faint hearted that's for sure.

I do it less where I live now that bikes can use the bus lanes in the city.

33Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Thu 27 Feb 2014, 19:32

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
In OZ it's been a grey area for a long time.  Many already do it and most cops turn a blind eye to it.  But get a stupide rider taking excessive risk or a highway patrol cop who's having a bad day and theres no more blind eye.  the difference is for my state at least its now actually declared legal, so the cop with bad attitude can longer take out his anger on you.

A friend a few years ago was filtering through stationary cars to get to the front of the lights, he wasnt going fast.  At the same time a pedestrian decided to cross the road by cutting through the stopped cars. Not looking, he stepped in front of the bike and got knocked down, no major injuries were caused.  The police attended, the pedestrian said it was all his fauklt for not looking.  Back at the station, the sergeant with an attitude told the officer attending that the rider had to be charged with "Negligent driving".  My friend chose to take it to court, the cops buggered about, didn't attend, got it adjourned etc hoping my friend would give up.  When it finally came to court and it was all laid out in front of the judge, including the pedestians testimony, the judge asked the cops what the hell they were thinking and threw it out immediately.  My friend who had got himself good legal representation had legal costs awarded to him also (this is almost never done).  Not over yet; the police department then wouldn't pay his costs due to 'financial hardship'.  The solution was elegant; give all this info to a senator(from the appropriate party) who was happy to embarass the current police minister by asking about this 'financial hardship' in state parliament.  Costs were paid the next day after it got the press interested.

Al

34Back to top Go down   We Won the fight Empty Re: We Won the fight Tue 23 Aug 2022, 01:20

Kyko

Kyko
it's good that everything worked out like this

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum