BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:28 am

k-wopper

k-wopper
Silver member
Silver member
Hi (insert appropriate designation),

I have an '85 k-100rs. I am starting the dismantle for cleaning and re-building where necessary (pics as soon as I figure out how to up-load).
I have removed all extraneous parts so now I have a 2 wheels, a frame, engine and transmission. Wheels still on so I can push it around the garage.
This gives me a much better understanding of the bikes design and function that reading a book or video (like that Chris Harris guy, who is great but still doesn't show all the angles).
I like almost all that I see but one thing I noticed when I test drove the bike was that the side-stand would bind. I put the bike up on my home made stand and found a lot of "slop" in it. I intend to replace the bushings and strengthen any suspect parts.
What I don't understand is the concept of the "side-stand auto-retract". Why? 
I'm old school...sit on bike... straighten up bike.. kick up stand...drive away... stop put feet down.. push down stand....done.
I would accept an idiot light to tell me the stand is down but why would I willingly give up control of the retraction to the clutch lever actuation? I just see potential problems for a minor convenience.
My question is....
 Do any of you just eliminate the stand-to-clutch pivot linkage or would this cause something unforseen?
Thanks,
Rob

p.s. I also plan to increase the side-stand footprint and height by fastening a hockey puck to the base (Used pucks are free, The Touratec model cost $90.00 CAD)

2Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I don't think you will find many here who haven't got rid of that "thing" that is supposed to retract the side stand.
There are no good things about it that I know of, I think it was one of BMWs well intentioned gadgets that don't work.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:24 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
got rid of mine rob

the hockey puck idea is a good one ...been done by a few here ...but sometimes interferes with the exhaust stuff and centre stand ....

removing  just a little off the height of the arm bush has sorted mine out big time ...now nill slop and it no longer rattles on the muffler in the up position ...I have a nice rusty patch where it used to ....(paint is coming to this soon )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:34 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
agree with you there Charlie , I added a block to my base plate , to reduce the lean when parked up.
 but it now reduces the available lean on left handers, when in motion. and interferes with the undercarriage.
if only someone could devise a retractrable ratchet extension to the sidestand to allow for those not so kind leans.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
the beginning 10_x_110

5Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:42 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Strange, I like the mechanical side stand retractor; always works and never given any trouble.

Far better than having anything electrical down there.

Although I hated the self-retracting spring loaded retractors on my 70's and 80's boxers, always cut off the pin so they stayed in place.

Paul.

6Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:43 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
My LT has the clutch lever/sidestand link and its excellent.

The RT had the self retracting spring loaded retractor and when I took the RT for a test ride I could not get the side stand to stay down so I couldnt get off it no matter how I tried. Anyway went back with it and got him to hold it and then went investigating. Discovered that cutting the pin to below the retractor spring would eliminate the problem so hack saw sorted it.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

7Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:45 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
I like mine and try to keep it working, only setback is don't let the bike alone on the side stand, if a curious hand tries to play the clutch it can end braking the wire, let the bike  on the center stand with the side stand retracted.
Best regards
JAP

Last edited by japuentes on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:54 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
After 3 years of having a very stiff clutch I finally figured out that the rod that is attached to the sidestand
retractor was slightly bent and rubbing on the exhaust pipe. I have dismantled mine and zip tied the loose arm to something that doesn't get hot. Much happier.

9Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
RT wrote:zip tied the loose arm to something

You didn't use white ones, did you  the beginning 167893 .

10Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:00 pm

k-wopper

k-wopper
Silver member
Silver member
Great advise.
 The auto fall-over device will go and I will re-think the hockey puck idea.
Thanks

11Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:34 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul wrote:Strange, I like the mechanical side stand retractor; always works and never given any trouble.
I'm with you on this one, Paul.  I prefer the mechanical linkage over the electrical switch.  My MG has an electrical override on the sidestand and it can fail due to the severe beating it gets being near the pavement.

12Back to top Go down   the beginning Empty Re: the beginning Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:22 pm

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Unlike the Jap bikes with their fancy bit of rubber on the end of the stand that would push the side stand up if you didn't, BMW passed on the simple and went with unique.  Good part of the self retractor, you can't forget to put up the stand.  Bad part, when some snot plays with your clutch lever when parked and your bike goes down.

I've gotten used to mine and it works quite well. 

As for lean angle, Replaced the bushing and made a custom bend in the stand to decrease the angle.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum