BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 am

Life time member
Life time member
I need a new top box for will upcoming trip to France. I need one of the horizontal carrier rack ( as opposed to sloping original) if any one has one kicking around pm my with a price please.
Will

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Givi E181 is what you need.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Givi's topcase carrier rack Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
88KE wrote:I need a new top box for will upcoming trip to France. I need one of the horizontal carrier rack ( as opposed to sloping original) if any one has one kicking around pm my with a price please.
Will

On my K 100 I installed Givi's Top case carrier such as this one, replacing the original (everything you need - screws, bolts etc. - is included in the set), It costed me less, though - just € 69,90. So Google for a cheaper offer:

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-elderly-model-since-1969/Seats-Trunks-and-Bags/Top-case-mounting.html

Then, because the design of Givi's own top cases does not fit well with BMW original side cases (AND cost of Givi is bit too high for my pocket), I bought and installed "Moto Detail" case from one of three huge German motorcycle shop's chains, Detlev Louis. It's an earlier model similar to what they now offer:

http://www.louis.de/_30dab61315ffa97a1ba748d5f6810aa19b/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10025920

Cheers
Tarik

5Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Here's cheaper: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
88KE wrote:I need a new top box for will upcoming trip to France. I need one of the horizontal carrier rack ( as opposed to sloping original) if any one has one kicking around pm my with a price please.
Will

http://www.motobuykers.co.uk/store/motorbike-accessories/luggage-accessories/hard-cases-givi_top-case-rack-givi/trunk-adaptor-kit-monokey-c-m5-bmw-k100-1000-90-k-rs-1100-k75-750_GIVIE181.html

I suppose you can ask the GIVI dealer in your country too?

6Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Pics too Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:37 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
Will

See how it looks:

Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Top_ca10

Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Top_ca11

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I do hope you have some reinforcing under the tail section because I am in the process of fixing my wife's tail section because it got busted up from the stress of a top box.  It tore the fibreglass apart and we had to use gaffa tape to keep the box from falling off the bike.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It was also a problem with the 50 litre OEM box on the 100LT which was bolted
directly to the duck tail, but it also stretched far behind the tail
....wrong weight distribution....it didn't stay long on the market.

9Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty No reinforcing yet Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
RicK G wrote:I do hope you have some reinforcing under the tail section because I am in the process of fixing my wife's tail section because it got busted up from the stress of a top box.  It tore the fibreglass apart and we had to use gaffa tape to keep the box from falling off the bike.

Well to be honest I did not install any, because the way how this rack was being attached seemed quite firm to me, and that the forces are well distributed. I also try never to carry anything too heavy in the top case - my laptop being the heaviest item.

10Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
One thing which has not been mentioned with regard to top boxes is the stress induced by the airflow.  It will be more prevalent on the forward outside front surface of the box and will act as a mini airbrake interfering with the streamlining of the airflow over the bike.  Although not an expert in aerodynamics, there will be a greater influence as compared to say the BMW OEM top box.   

As I have only ever been on a couple of perfect road surfaces (racetracks), everything else has bumps and irregularities.  There will be further stress induced by the weight of the top box through the mounting points and as the bike bounces around on the road, the stresses all add up.  If anything is loosely packed inside the box on a bumpy or twisty road, resulting in weight movement, then this will compound the stresses as the directions change.  As the contact surface is relatively small through the four mounting points, I doubt there will be a perfect system to prevent stress fractures (cracks) for our bikes unless the duck tail is made of metal. 

Always a compromise, so the bottom line is don't carry too much heavy crap inside. 

I guess the Givis are popular because you can lock a helmet inside.  Personally I prefer the BMW OEM. 

Just an opinion so feel free to disagree.

11Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member

Saying that to an Irishman....its a legitimate invitation to engage in 'lively debate'.

But very valid. I have a large top box, most essential to make sure everything is tightly fitted up and no play, load spreading washers inside the ducktail. Riding without the box on, even empty, has a very very noticeable difference.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

12Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Just as good & cheaper Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
TacKler wrote:One thing which has not been mentioned with regard to top boxes is the stress induced by the airflow.  It will be more prevalent on the forward outside front surface of the box and will act as a mini airbrake interfering with the streamlining of the airflow over the bike.  Although not an expert in aerodynamics, there will be a greater influence as compared to say the BMW OEM top box.   

As I have only ever been on a couple of perfect road surfaces (racetracks), everything else has bumps and irregularities.  There will be further stress induced by the weight of the top box through the mounting points and as the bike bounces around on the road, the stresses all add up.  If anything is loosely packed inside the box on a bumpy or twisty road, resulting in weight movement, then this will compound the stresses as the directions change.  As the contact surface is relatively small through the four mounting points, I doubt there will be a perfect system to prevent stress fractures (cracks) for our bikes unless the duck tail is made of metal. 

Always a compromise, so the bottom line is don't carry too much heavy crap inside. 

I guess the Givis are popular because you can lock a helmet inside.  Personally I prefer the BMW OEM. 

Moto Detail from Louis are just as good when build quality is in question, you can lock a helmet (or two - see the pic), and cost much less for the same size...

Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU 10025920_740_ANW1_FR_05

13Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty All that's there Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member

14Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:07 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ffbikersa wrote:
RicK G wrote:I do hope you have some reinforcing under the tail section because I am in the process of fixing my wife's tail section because it got busted up from the stress of a top box.  It tore the fibreglass apart and we had to use gaffa tape to keep the box from falling off the bike.

Well to be honest I did not install any, because the way how this rack was being attached seemed quite firm to me, and that the forces are well distributed. I also try never to carry anything too heavy in the top case - my laptop being the heaviest item.
My wife rarely carried much more than wet weather gear and handbag and kept the space to store her helmet when not riding.
Good luck I think you will need it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum