BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

b1biker

I've been a K-bike owner for about 8 years; purchased a K100LT in 2006 with 74,000 miles on the clock. Now at 141,000 I'm looking at making some improvements as opposed to spending a good deal of cash on something newer. My current issue is with the installation of an electronic cruise control unit. I've been following the information in the post from Duck (Drake Smith) on the Rostra 1223 but have run into some problems. He refers to a lt. green wire that is to be hooked into the clutch safety switch with a relay; however my unit does not have a light green wire in the harness although the factory wiring diagram shows a ghosted lt. green wire but has no indication of how it hooks into the wiring harness. He also mentions an orange wire that he used to control an indicator light; as with the lt. green wire there is none in the harness and again the wiring diagram indicates this wire in ghost form with no indication of how it connects. I've got the unit mounted but can't get it to engage; I know that it's a wiring problem and think that it may be related to these two missing wires. I'm hoping that someone can tell me how these wires connect to the main harness on the Rostra 1223 unit.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Orange wire doesn't matter as it's just an indicator output and optional.

To avoid engine runaway, the cruise needs either the NSS or a coil signal (RPM surge detection)to know when to disengage.  You should at least have a blue wire.  Hook that into the the black/blue wire of one of the coils and that should make the CC happy by giving it a coil signal.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   Greetings Fellow K Owners and Electronic Cruise Control on K100LT Empty Electronic Cruise Control Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:34 am

b1biker

I was hoping to use both the clutch safety switch and the over rev connection to the coil. It seems that one needs the clutch switch for routine gear changes/stop lights, etc. and I thought that the over rev function would be beneficial in the event of a crash. On your 1223 how does the lt. green wire connect into the unit? Whatr is your take on using both the clutch switch and the over rev function of the blue wire attached to the coil?

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Light green wire: Since the clutch switch uses 12V+ to send power to the starter button and the LG wire disengages the CC when it sees a ground, I wired that up using a normally open relay to reverse the signal so that it sends a ground to the CC when the clutch is pulled in.

Greetings Fellow K Owners and Electronic Cruise Control on K100LT Rostra.250-1223.K.Bike.Wiring

Last edited by duck on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
My take on using both the NSS and the blue coil wire: Overkill.

My experience from numerous Audiovox CCS-100 installs which only monitor the coil signal is that the revs that occur when the clutch in pulled pretty much instantly disengage the CC after a surge of only a few hundred RPM. If monitoring the coil signal on the Rostra then having the NSS also hooked up is just superfluous wiring.

The thought of potential engine runaway in the event of a getoff has crossed my mind. However, I think you'd need some kind of "perfect storm" for that to occur and, quite frankly, if I crash I'm much more concerned about my personal safety then the thought of destroying the motor on a crashed bike that was only worth a few grand even before it crashed.  I think engine runaway poses a much higher risk on a car that's still moving and careening helplessly down the highway at full throttle.

If you think that engine runaway after a getoff poses a material risk then using the the blue coil wire is probably the safer alternative.

JM.02 - I'm just giving you my non-professional Internet opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]