BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Gopher Baroque

Gopher Baroque
Hello!  I am doing new-owner major maintenance on a 88 K75S.  So far, I have new paint, upholstery, luggage, aftermarket shocks, rear-sets, and lots of new 'routine' parts as I inspect for wear/age.  I am currently buttoning up the fairing, including adding the water temp gauge (not standard of "S" models) to match the fuel gauge added by the previous owner.  Installing the wire to the water temp sensor includes removing the water pump cover.  After un-sticking the fasteners (My, what soft bolts you have there!) the covers was stuck as well. Thanks to the encouragement (https://www.k100-forum.com/t5262-help-water-pump-cover-stuck) I was not hung up by a secret fastener, I used a couple of putty knives to apply lifting force at the edges.  The cover popped off and revealed it had been stuck on with a little black silicone goop.  There was also blue sewing thread around the perimeter as a bonus seal.  Have you seen that before?

cheers, Hugh
Seattle
88 K75S

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Gopher Baroque wrote: There was also blue sewing thread around the perimeter as a bonus seal.  Have you seen that before?

Non genuine, I would say..............and welcome.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
To start with, you don't need to remove anything, aside from the Hall Effect sensor cover, to route the water temp sensor wire.  I just cut the connector off of the end which makes it much easier to route, then reconnect it later.

OEM seal for WP cover is non-solidifying clear sealant.

I use Permatex Form-a-Gasket #2 for WP sealant.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
using a piece of old coat hanger wire  is invaluable for this

you will have to bend it to the contour of the water pump rear to pass just high of the front cover ....bend a tight hook in the probe end ...and pull the cable back down attached with a little tape to hold it together .....fold the cable back onitself through the hook  and a turn or two of tape to hold it together

inject the coat hanger wire at the sensor end of the pump through that hole

even with the cover plate off you might find this to be of some help 

good luck and welcome aboard hugh

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum Gopher. I do hope that the previous owner had the good taste to use BMW blue thread because the light blue doesn't work very well. Very Happy

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Seattle (K75 waterpump cover) Empty First ride / successful commute Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:13 am

Gopher Baroque

Gopher Baroque
Well, I successfully updated the waterpump with proper sender wire routing, and went on to bolt the rest of the parts on.  A little test ride showed Neutral light/gear position in-op, the fuel gauge erratic (at least by moving the sender by hand), but nothing blew up or caught on fire.  Today, I tried a commute to work (about 20 miles, mostly freeway), which went well.  This is my first real ride since I bought the bike about three years ago!  On the way home, the last bubble of air must have burped from the front brakes, as lever travel went from (1/4" from grip at full squeeze) to about half that!

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
welcome Hugh, what beautifully engineered bikes these are. Electrical dry joints and semicoductor type stuff plays up on and off. I'd like to de-electronic mine and fit a couple of SU carbs or something similar sometime, save weight and hassles I reckon, but when the myriad of electronic systems work the bikes are a dream, swift and safe.
Good luck and persevere. Mines running too cold at the mo need a new thermostat, yeah something that not electronic.
Rick
NewZealand
K IWI Land
PS: come out for a K tour of Bull
Hello from Seattle (K75 waterpump cover) Bull_817

Rick
K IWI land
New Zealand

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum