BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wiring harness - routing Empty Wiring harness - routing Tue May 13, 2014 4:56 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Anyone got any good images of the wiring harness in place, showing the correct routing for it all?

2Back to top Go down   Wiring harness - routing Empty Re: Wiring harness - routing Tue May 13, 2014 5:44 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmmmm,,  have you seen the "efi trouble shooting thread" mate .?   gives a good idea about the locational positioning ....for under the tank at least .

but what makes sense to me ...might be to reroute any cable loom away from flexible sections ...or at least interference locations ..like bolts- nuts at the upper shock absorber mount etc

perhaps if you are looking for resilience of the whole system ...you might consider  additional insulation around the loom  with some fairly flexible but tough outer insulation tube ...maybe some thing of a 1.5 mm thickness of some flexible but solid rubberised tubing ...over the already taped loom .

in addition to solid strain relief points along its length before take offs to individual branches of the loom to components .

keep in mind these strain relief points should not be overly tight around the cables ...they should be a close - snug fit ...not  tightened cable tie around the mass ....so that it all can move ...in a controlled way,   by tensioning the strain reliefs ..too tight,  you de-rate  both the cables electrical heat radiance and insulation properties ...and add unwanted likely fracture points for copper cabling .

also keep in mind that in many cases interference insulation should be routed so that one covers the start of the other ...not an "this starts here and this ends just before then"

can I suggest  look up "double wall glue lined heat shrink insulation "   this stuff has a rubbery outer consistency  which remains flexible at all times  in the case of electrical tails (a branch that ends in a connection to a lamp , coils or similar ) and joins between insulation diameters .

besides all that ...adds an additional protection layer to those blooming rodents from munching at the insulation.

sorry, did I get carried away ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Wiring harness - routing Empty Re: Wiring harness - routing Tue May 13, 2014 6:30 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:hmmmm,,  have you seen the "efi trouble shooting thread" mate .?   gives a good idea about the locational positioning ....for under the tank at least .

but what makes sense to me ...might be to reroute any cable loom away from flexible sections ...or at least interference locations ..like bolts- nuts at the upper shock absorber mount etc

perhaps if you are looking for resilience of the whole system ...you might consider  additional insulation around the loom  with some fairly flexible but tough outer insulation tube ...maybe some thing of a 1.5 mm thickness of some flexible but solid rubberised tubing ...over the already taped loom .

in addition to solid strain relief points along its length before take offs to individual branches of the loom to components .

keep in mind these strain relief points should not be overly tight around the cables ...they should be a close - snug fit ...not  tightened cable tie around the mass ....so that it all can move ...in a controlled way,   by tensioning the strain reliefs ..too tight,  you de-rate  both the cables electrical heat radiance and insulation properties ...and add unwanted likely fracture points for copper cabling .

also keep in mind that in many cases interference insulation should be routed so that one covers the start of the other ...not an "this starts here and this ends just before then"

can I suggest  look up "double wall glue lined heat shrink insulation "   this stuff has a rubbery outer consistency  which remains flexible at all times  in the case of electrical tails (a branch that ends in a connection to a lamp , coils or similar ) and joins between insulation diameters .

besides all that ...adds an additional protection layer to those blooming rodents from munching at the insulation.

sorry, did I get carried away ?

Wow thanks for all that mate!

Reckon Jaycar would have this stuff? Ill be popping in their tomorrow to get some deoxit.

Any other tips/advise AT ALL relating to the electrics would be greatly appreciated at this stage. Im juuuuust starting to get on with the wiring...

4Back to top Go down   Wiring harness - routing Empty Re: Wiring harness - routing Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
There are some pictures in the BMW handbook IIRC.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Wiring harness - routing Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   Wiring harness - routing Empty Re: Wiring harness - routing Tue May 13, 2014 8:05 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
floyd wrote:Anyone got any good images of the wiring harness in place, showing the correct routing for it all?

Hey Floyd,
I have a brazillian photos of my bike as I was pulling it down.
Can stick em on a usb and you can peruse all you want.

Also have a bike with wiring harness in place if that helps.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum