BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty NSW historic plate club Wed May 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I just read an article in the latest Road Rider magazine about setting up your own club or group for bikes 30 or older and the financial benefits. Seeing that many of us have more than one bike, it could get expensive to keep our steeds road registered.
Are there any members from this state who would consider forming a "club" so that our rides to see each other would be regarded as club rides..thus fulfilling the requirements to get historic plates and benefits? Remember that your bike has to be 1984 or earlier model. Minimun requirement is 6 bikes...not 6 people.

2Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Wed May 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Great idea mate although the 1984 narrows the field down a little . My thought is that the forum is a club with you and many others long term members and contributors . should be doeable , thought s from the mods ?

3Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
That's not a bad idea Stan, each year will bring more online to join, I recall the 85 model being the most prevalent here from an earlier post so it should work with the numbers rising from next year on.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

4Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Wed May 14, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm interested.

5Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Wed May 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Warren C

Warren C
Silver member
Silver member
sounds like a good idea (and something to look forward too as I have and '85) - what are the restrictions on club plates - are you able to "ride up the shops" with them or only for club designated events

6Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 12:01 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
My K75GS is an 86 so it sure sounds interesting but being NSW makes it hard for me. Although I do have an Historic club in Warwick and will be using it to do the classic rego on the Z1300.  Jees I never thought I would be doing that seems like yesterday that I bought it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Warren you are allowed to run the bike for maintance purposes.....like keeping the battery charged, oil warmed up well and truly...as well as riding to see whether the changes you made on it work. You can also ride it to and from a repairer.....my nearest BMW dealer is about 400 kms away and I could well be heading in that general direction.

8Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 1:06 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
each state is different for sure.

NSW its maintenance rides and published club events only.  I'm not sure how flexible the RMS are about the 'published' bit.  For most clubs its a calendar in a monthly newsletter.  in this day and age a website might be acceptable

Remember also its a historic plate scheme, its meant for bikes that are substantially original.  For an example registering a hacked up "cafe racer" is probably not within the spirit of what the scheme is about.  Period mods are usually OK and acceptable as are some upgrades.  Whats acceptable falls to the the club registrar (a nominated person) but some clubs do push it too far.

My neighbour must do an awful lot of maintenance on his A model ute, I seen it on the road every 2nd day!

As ride co-ordinator in BMWTCNSW what i do for the historic guys is just tell me what rides you want to do ahead of time and I'll put them in the calendar so they can ride their bikes.  Dont ask it cant happen

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

NSW historic plate club K-dogs10

9Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 1:32 am

What about sidecars?

10Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 1:35 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
I'm a member of the Macquaire Towns Motorcycle Restoration & Preservation Club.

To form a Club you will need to get insurence and that ain't cheap. And comply with the States requirements for a Registored Club. It's a lot of work.

So ask yourself, "Is it worth it, or should I just join a club?"

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

11Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 1:38 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Side cars were available in 1983 from various companies and attached to the bikes. Your sidecar has had to be modified to make it a safer proposition...can't see anything wrong with that.

12Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 6:04 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
also as a part of the requirements of annual rego , our local classic club has a designated day of presentation to it's preferred inspection station,this may not work well for all parties. this type of rego as previously mentioned is restrictive to those wanting regular use of their K. my thoughts would be if you had an interest in placing historic plates on your favourite K , approach your preferred club and become involved , it's surprising the diverse people you meet and the interests they hold and what you can share. I've noticed that many of the members here on this forum have more than just K's in their shed. much like myself.
My K will take a little longer to reach the required historic statute, so in the mean time I'll be enjoying the regular rides with other forum members.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
NSW historic plate club 10_x_110

13Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Thu May 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
I already have my K100RT (84) on historic plates through my local club, the Inverell Motorcycle Restorers Club. Annual rego/insurance is about 50 bucks. As for rego inspections, our club has its own designated inspectors who can sign off. Inspections are done all at the same time (annual Christmas party) so its convenient. We run annual club dues at $40 and the club has 60+ members. This is more than enough to cover the insurances etc. As for riding, yes club events, limited maintenance use, other club rides etc, so it does restrict you. Day to day type use is out.

So I recon to form a K100 club we'd need a fair few members or set annual dues to suit. Alternatively we could each join an existing club and have rides designated through that club. The Nindigully ride for example could have been a club ride etc.

You don't have to have a club registered bike to be a member of a club, and you can have as many bikes as you like on club rego.

14Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Fri May 16, 2014 6:39 am

Ballsy

Ballsy
G,day

When I was living in south Australia I had 4 bikes on historic rego, how it works there is you can ride 90 days of the year (any 90) but you have a log book, you have to fill in the date ,,,traveling to, and then travelling from to home. You have to be a member of a registered club and I,m pretty sure the bikes had to be 30 years old or older, the one I was in was the Mid Murray Historic car and bike club, the bikes had to be as stock as possible with exceptions to safety modifications.
There were two guys in the club that could check over the machines to make sure they were eligible, one of which owed a country pub which was handy,  the way we used to get around it was to simply put touring the Adelaide hills for testing purposes and that was considered all good and legal.
It was $40.00 bucks annual fee to be in the club and the rego was $38.00 a year for any capacity bike. I was lucky enough to have 4 bikes on the historic register so could ride all year round.

Cheers Ballsy

15Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Fri May 16, 2014 6:48 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Seems we have some good things here. The only requirement is that the bike is 30 years old. We have no limits on use or annual mileage. Cheap registration and multi bike insurance makes means you can have quite a shed full of old bikes and use them anytime to go anywhere. An 84 RT fits the bill very nicely.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

16Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Fri May 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
I think the simplest way to do it is for each of us to join a local historic  club and rego their bikes through that club. K100 rides could simply be a designated ride by one of the clubs, with invitations extended to the others. No additional fees, no club admin to do.

17Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I was involved with the setting up of a club, Once and Once it will remain.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

18Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Sun May 18, 2014 5:21 am

malcoops

malcoops
Silver member
Silver member
I've got two hondas ready for classic registration so I can keep them, but my k is not old enough
so yes I'm interested

bmw kl1100lt, 1993, honda cx500 1978, honda gl500 1982, and bits and pieces

19Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Sat May 24, 2014 11:35 am

rcle6782

rcle6782
A friend who belongs to a club here in Sydney told me a few years ago that it's up the club to set their own rules on club plate usage, within the bounds set by RMS.

As far as I remember, he said you could ride within a 25 km radius of home for maintenance purposes, which was also the maximum limit set my RMS. I think he said club events were also limited to one a month (my memory's a bit hazy on that one though).

I've got an old CB125 that'd qualify, but my K100 is too new...

20Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Sat May 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I get the feeling that this topic may be revisited next year when more of our bikes are old enough. It is true that some clubs have set their own rules. I know of one where a member was asked to leave because he had used stainless steel bolts instead of mild steel on his Triumph.....too bad about rust!

21Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Sat May 24, 2014 11:31 pm

rcle6782

rcle6782
ainsjac wrote:I get the feeling that this topic may be revisited next year when more of our bikes are old enough. It is true that some clubs have set their own rules. I know of one where a member was asked to leave because he had used stainless steel bolts instead of mild steel on his Triumph.....too bad about rust!
wow... scary...

My K's a 1988 but still keen to join next year if welcome, regardless of club plate eligibility  Very Happy

22Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Sun May 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
ainsjac wrote:I get the feeling that this topic may be revisited next year when more of our bikes are old enough. It is true that some clubs have set their own rules. I know of one where a member was asked to leave because he had used stainless steel bolts instead of mild steel on his Triumph.....too bad about rust!
Well I wouldnt want to be a member of a club that petty. Plenty of them around with more sensible rules.

23Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Sun May 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Rockman wrote:
Well I wouldnt want to be a member of a club that petty. Plenty of them around with more sensible rules.

I'd be curious to know which club that was?

24Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Sun May 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Sean....not sure of the name...but it is located in the Nortern Beaches of Sydney and the bloke lives 2 doors down from my sister-in-law.....the club believes in concourse presentation.

25Back to top Go down   NSW historic plate club Empty Re: NSW historic plate club Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:Sean....not sure of the name...but it is located in the Nortern Beaches of Sydney and the bloke lives 2 doors down from my sister-in-law.....the club believes in concourse presentation.
If the club openly says that it is a club for members that do have concourse only then depending on the rules they may have a case but a club like that is a club I would have nothing to do with.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum