BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Fri May 23, 2014 9:08 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Please forgive me 1 & all for creating an off topic, mis placed atrocity.
 The reason I'm here is that I've been a long standing member of the Group and had, read & submitted often.

This is the best forum I've ever known. I have posts out on many of the Airhead boxer forums here in the USA and I have no response (yet)

I have a very nice, low miles 82 rs that I wish to restore to near original specs.

First, I need information. I know there's a LOT of multi bike owners here that have the proper knowledge.

If I'm going to get a set of used shocks I need the specs. My best information is that this is a LWB (Long wheel base) model. It may require shocks that are 13 1/2" long center to center on the eyelets. 
What research I could find says that they might actually be 13.4" as opposed to 13.5.
A lot of people say they should be 13 1/4"
So people please tell me what you know. The Progressive web site lists their supplied replacement at 13.5. Not sure if that's an exact match or just what they sell.

These are BOGE chrome cylinders with black springs. They do not include shrouds, (I don't think). I believe that the upper mounting eye bracket is a cast or forged aluminum piece rather than the more standard "round bushing eye. I've found some without that top.

Last, if anyone (preferable USA) have a nice used set......please post back. It seems that the majority I've contacted say that the OEM shock is junk and "everyone" changes them for aftermarket products.
My logic says if that were true......there should be a LOT of used ones available......I can't find them.
 Since my machine is one that the po installed (13") Koni's on, I need some OEM ones to get back to stock.
 Another problem I've found is that of all the used ones I've looked at.....most have been too badly rusted to use.
 I'm thinking that my best bet may be to find a cruddy used set to get the spring & fittings....then buy a new set of cylinders and assemble my own set.

SO please guys.....share with me what you know/have

Thanks & regards, Ibjman

2Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Sun May 25, 2014 6:58 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Hey Ibjman,

You got me. I have less than no clue about your RS.

Surely someone here will chime in with the advice you need.

Good luck. Maybe stick up a photo. Get a bit of interest going.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

3Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Sun May 25, 2014 9:49 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I didnt think there was a differing wheelbase in the early 80's 100s that stopped with the /7's, that rs might be an anniverary model?? 2 tone? 19"front and 18"rear mags. I dont recall anyone talking about different ride heights, so the replacements may be ok

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

4Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty model Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
It does have 19 front & 18 rear. Is the Smoked grey with the darker edges I think it's called Polaris Graphite????
 I have no idea when where wheelbases changed but I am sure that mine is LWB.
 I have found a lot of rear shocks at 13" eye to eye and many that the owner measures at 13 1/4".
My best research is that mine should measure 13.5....perhaps 13.4.
I found a set that were supposed to be from another 82 rs....the owner says they measure 13 9/16????? Who knows?
 It appears that after a more careful attempt at completely unloading my Koni's and a more careful measurement that mine may be 13 1/4"s .

There are many opinions of the correct spec. The progressive listed correct unit says 13 1/2" 
my main issue is the horrible performance of the famous 82 top stand. It's all but impossible to get it up and impossible for me to get it back down (whole bike slides forward on the stand.
Secondary, the side stand requires that you lean the machine too far to the right to allow the side stand to deploy through the highest spot in it's arc on it's way forward.

Rational is that even if I could only raise the rear 1/4" to 1/2" it would at least improve the problems with the stands.
 Not withstanding that, I hope to alter a set of center stand bushings so the center hole is offset therebu raising the stand maybe another 3/16".
All the while, The main goal is to end up with a machine that looks as close to possible to OEM stock configuration.
Regards, Ibjman

5Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Sun May 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
LWB and SWB only refers to the early '70s /5 models. A 1982 R100RS will have a 19" Snowflake front wheel and an 18" rear Snowflake. The shocks that fit are from mid-'72 through '84 models, dual swingarm.

Consider that some folk used a Reynolds ride-off centre stand which sits the bike down on both tyres. The OEM centre stand is perfectly balanced such that you can remove either wheel without the bike toppling. The Konis should be part number 7610-1298 for your model.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

6Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty misses the p[oint somewhat Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I currently have the reynolds ride off stand but the object of this thread is to return the bike to 100% stock (as when new)
 The Koni's are: indeed 7610-1298.
they appear to be 13 1/4"
One thing I really need is a correct pair of oem stock BOGE units so that I can absolutely determine the correct length. These Koni's could be correct or they may be 1/4" too short. Does anyone have the CORRECT length spec?
Again, the object is to get rid of the Koni's because they are not original equipment.
If /When I ever do get a correct pair of OEM shocks, I'll disassemble them for the attachment parts and possibly the springs and buy a new set of OEM struts (not the HD ones).
Regards, Ibjman

7Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty OBTW Sun May 25, 2014 2:38 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I'm finding some OEM used units that have completely round eyelets at the top, while others have  the aluminum top fitting (cast or forged).
Which is correct on the 82 rs?

Also. this 82 is indeed the LWB model. It makes no difference which units had SWB. That's not what I have.
Thanks, Ibjman

8Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Sun May 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
You are going to have to accept all of the information that comes to the post as it clarifies and details to all responses.

BMW stopped using the higher quality aluminium shock top eyes in the 1977 model year and replaced them with stamped steel pieces from 1978 on.

The standard OEM Boge units from that era are 335mm (13.2″) overall length, and 260mm (10.25″) centre of eye to eye.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

9Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Why thank you Sun May 25, 2014 4:32 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
It appears that the moderator does not agree with my wording. Sorry, I'll try not to let it occur again.
 Certainly I can accept constructive criticism.

Not at all sure about your statement: standard OEM Boge units from that era??? I assume you mean "from 78 on"?
I have found NO BMW shocks in my research that are only 10.25" from center to center on the eyelets.
The 13.2 mentioned appears to be the eye to eye measurement you refer to.
 The good news is......I just purchased a very nice set of OEM Boge's with only 44,000 miles on them on Ebay.
Thanks for pointing that out to my good friend "Brickrider"!
Please let me know what I failed to accept?
 I'm hope you are generally familiar with my numerous forum use here in the past. Perhaps I erred on this day.
 I try to be as courteous and kind as possible. 
Regards, Ibjman

10Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Mon May 26, 2014 7:52 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Dont recall if it was boge sachs or mullholland boge, but I do remember the centre stand being an issue as it would roll forward if on the slightest of inclines. At rallies i attended it was suggested they loved a tummy rub, now some people took that ok and others, well it was smarter to meld back into the crowd. They were difficult to get up on the stand, perhaps to save that very occurence.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

11Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Mon May 26, 2014 2:09 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Found a set of seemingly original boges removed from an 83 R80 at 44,000 miles off ebay yesterday. Hopefully, they'll be 1/4" longer than the konis it arrived with.

12Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Good find IBJ, sure hope it all works out man

13Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Tue May 27, 2014 5:00 pm

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
There's an Airhead guy in Colorado that is selling off his inventory according to a BMWON article last year.  He might be your resource if someone remembers his name.  All I remember is he was in the medical profession, had surgery that went poorly and hasn't been able to do much work.  If I think of it, I'll PM you

14Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Tue May 27, 2014 6:54 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Ok thanks! Hopefully I have a decent set.....we'll see if/when they arrive. I also have a used tank bag coming this week....for my 98 1100RT. It is missing the rear flap the rear piece that has the short zipper

15Back to top Go down   OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Empty Re: OFF TOPIC, But I'm Stuck Here Tue May 27, 2014 6:56 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
......short zipper and wraps around under the rear edge of the center tank molding and attaches there with Velcro

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum