BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bleeding rear brake on an RT Empty Bleeding rear brake on an RT Mon May 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Fliggy

Fliggy
I've read the manual and as many posts I can find on the forum but the bleeding of the rear brake on my 1991 RT has got me stumped. I've tried every way that I know and have dismantled everything from top to bottom and still can't get any pressure. To make matters worse, the master cylinder is starting to bind on the little screw in the side that releases the piston. Worrying.
Could someone put me out of my misery and give me the definitive on how to do this task please. I've also got a big syringe and tried 'reverse bleeding' but with no luck.
Many thanks.

2Back to top Go down   Bleeding rear brake on an RT Empty Re: Bleeding rear brake on an RT Mon May 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check the lines and make sure they aren't swelling when you push the pedal. They can leak into the outer skin and give no pressure transfer but not actually leak on the floor. I had a swelling as big as my thumb and was pumping it up but not getting any brakes.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Bleeding rear brake on an RT Empty Re: Bleeding rear brake on an RT Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I think either you can do it with ease or is sucks the big one.

New pads, braided line, master cylinder, reservoir, bleed nipple and EBC disc and I still cannot get it to work properly. Also swapped the caliper.

Tried gravity and vacuum.

Also took forever to get any fluid down into the master cylinder. In the end I removed the whole thing and filled it manually with the piston out.
PITA

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

4Back to top Go down   Bleeding rear brake on an RT Empty Re: Bleeding rear brake on an RT Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
In all the brakes I have done you must prime the piston area when assembling, sure you leak a bit,
gravity alone from the reservoir is poor to useless IMHO.

5Back to top Go down   Bleeding rear brake on an RT Empty Re: Bleeding rear brake on an RT Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Ghost who rides wrote:In all the brakes I have done you must prime the piston area when assembling, sure you leak a bit,
gravity alone from the reservoir is poor to useless IMHO.

Yeah I agree, I worked for the Brake & Clutch supply company in Coffs Harbour for years, and when fitting new cylinders, master or slave, you always had to bench bleed the cylinder before installing.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

6Back to top Go down   Bleeding rear brake on an RT Empty Re: Bleeding rear brake on an RT Tue May 27, 2014 5:49 am

Fliggy

Fliggy
That's great, thanks for the suggestions. Getting messy and pre-bleeding the master looks like the way forward.

7Back to top Go down   Bleeding rear brake on an RT Empty Re: Bleeding rear brake on an RT Tue May 27, 2014 7:37 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Can't you put the calliper at a low position and press the oil through the bleed valve up into the reservoir?

BTW I have seen issues before where or the brake plunger didn't come back out far enough and therefore obstructing flow as well as a reservoir line internally collapsed and blocking flow down.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Bleeding rear brake on an RT Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum