BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
2014-05-27
Hi to everyone, its so nice to get back on two wheels again. 
Previous bikes were a  R100/7, R 80 , a 1990 K100 lt and current bike a 1989 K100 lt with 39k on the clock.
Thanks to the huge information and help available on this site, I have sorted my worn final drive and  adjusted the TPS switch position to make her nicer to ride at low throttle. New EBC brakes back and front , hopefully she will be as reliable as my last K. Jobs coming up will be front wheel and  steering head bearings, plus usual checking of all things rubbery .
I love riding her, and appreciate the quality build and longevity (hopefully).
Ride safe.
Bob

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ride well bob

and welcome to the forum

cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Bob, welcome to the asylum.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

psoares87

psoares87
Hi bob Welcome to the forum

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys, of all the bikes I have owned over the years, she is not the quickest, not the best handling bike around the twisty bits, and definitely not the best around the city streets. 
She is very top heavy,and  liable to fall on you at any time. 
But.... if I want to  ride all  day, and the weather looks like closing in, then I remember why i bought my LT.
Very quirky, but totally addictive.
Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
audibob wrote:Thanks guys, of all the bikes I have owned over the years, she is not the quickest, not the best handling bike around the twisty bits, and definitely not the best around the city streets. 
She is very top heavy,and  liable to fall on you at any time. 
But.... if I want to  ride all  day, and the weather looks like closing in, then I remember why i bought my LT.
Very quirky, but totally addictive.
Bob
Welcome Audibob,

Not the quickest ... but fast enough and pretty stable at speed, definitely not a crotch rocket..which is good for driving licence preservation and life & limb.

Not the best handling... a lot depend on the tyres, worn or ageing tyres make for rubbish handling - new rubber and she'll roll round the corners with the rest of them.

Not the best for city streets... no bike is particularly good for city streets. With the fairing and boxes she's a wide old bird which may limit some filtering opportunities but you have street "presence" -you still have the edge over cars (unless you strap a chair on the side). The fairing and boxes do offer you good side impact protection though - saved my leg!

Very top heavy... that catches many of us out at least once. Once she starts to go, there's not much you can do to stop it. The knack is not getting into that position in the first place and keep the bike upright when stopped.

Ride all day and in all weather...you nailed it. Yes sir! Definitely not one of your fancy sports bike toys that screams to destruction (either mechanically or physically) in a few thousand miles or can only be ridden for short hops.

There's real pleasure in a K bike and they love to be ridden.
Enjoy

Last edited by PaulLipscomb on Wed May 28, 2014 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

7Back to top Go down   Hi to all from the North east in the UK Empty What did u do??? Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm

mhsilverw

mhsilverw
audibob wrote:2014-05-27
.....adjusted the TPS switch position to make her nicer to ride at low throttle. Bob....

How or what did you do, and does or what would be needed to check on a K75?

Regards

Mark

8Back to top Go down   Hi to all from the North east in the UK Empty TPS. Wed May 28, 2014 3:03 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mark,
I read this somewhere possibly on this site. I am no expert, but I believe the TPS sensor does not work as you might expect. I think there are two triggers, one at closed or very partial throttle, which shuts the fuel off, and the second  at higher throttle openings to enrich the mixture. You should be able to hear a click from the sensor as soon as you open the throttle, I believe this is the standard setting, certainly was on my bike. I got really fed up of constant lurching at slow throttle speeds. The chap on the site suggested turning the sensor anti clockwise a little to stop the low speed shut off, but still have higher throttle enrichment. My bike is much nicer around town, I guess if you are coming down very steep hills a lot, then perhaps the original set up may be better .
Not sure whether the K75 set up is the same. 
I am sure someone will let you know here.
good luck 
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
I believe it is the same for the K75 as the K100's.

10Back to top Go down   Hi to all from the North east in the UK Empty TPS Wed May 28, 2014 3:29 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Hi keith, 
I cannot remember my first K100 LT being so horrible to ride at low throttle speeds, perhaps the set up on my new Lt had been adjusted wrongly, but for the time being I shall leave it where I have it now.
I still get some engine braking when I shut the throttle, but before, it was like hitting the brakes. 
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Bob  Smile

Stamford

Stamford
audibob wrote:She is very top heavy,and  liable to fall on you at any time. 

Ha, I learned how top heavy the day I brought her home. I was leaving the seller's house via a long uphill gravel driveway. Got to the top and stopped (a little quick) to look for traffic and the rear skidded a couple of inches to the side. Nearly suffered a groin injury holding her up with my thighs. Would have been mortified to drop her in front of an audience five minutes into my ownership.

Hiya Bob, welcome.

13Back to top Go down   Hi to all from the North east in the UK Empty top heavy bike Thu May 29, 2014 1:55 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Stamford, 
I managed to drop my first LT, and nearly had  a hernia getting her upright, only to find two guys watching me.  nice...
Apparently there is a technique , you just need to practise on someone elses bike....
I do find coming to controlled stop and getting the stabilisers out somewhat tricky , I need to be two inches taller. I guess pan riders find it laughable but then we dont need to replace a rotten exhaust or swingarm.  Pehaps I might get my shoe repairer to glue a few extra layers on the sole of my boots.

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: