BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Electric screen conversion Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Has anyone tried to fit the K1100 electric screen to a K100RT/LT fairing and if so, what problems did you encounter?
The idea of being able to adjust the screen height on the move is appealing.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

2Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:16 pm

suus62

suus62
As far as I know you need to cut/grind away some millimeters from the fairing support bracket in order make room for the electrical motor. There is some info available here. Just use the Search utility. Good luck. Let us know your results please. I might do the same some day, if haven't bought a K1200RS/P.

3Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:00 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
You need to check out Bert's K100 as he has one fitted but as for the process and if it is from an 1100 that I can not say.

4Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:28 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is my conversion: Electric windshield conversion
My conversion was a bit difficult as I could only use the core of the electrical motor. The limit switches were too badly damaged to be salvaged. The donor bike came from Louisiana were it had been laying in the salt water after hurricane Katrina.
Unless you buy a complete kit, you will have to install 2 relay and the up/down switch.
The electrical diagram for the electrical windshield can be found in the download section of this forum.

Bert

5Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:22 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bert. You don't like to take the easy way, do you?
I have found a complete screen, motor and wiring unit which may be reasonably priced and wondered if the unit is a straight swap in the top fairing. Don't mind a bit of grinding of the brackets but reluctant to modify the fairing itself.
As far as I can tell, the only other thing I would need would be the switch and cable.

6Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 am

bigalfromwigan

Hi John,

I have bought the basics of an electric screen conversion (Ebay) and trial fitted it on my K100RT this weekend.

I modified the fairing support with a hacksaw and a pair of molegrips, just one cut each side and then bend the metal out of the way.

After that it went straight in.

I still have to source a suitable switch (I did say basics!) so I put everything back in place until I get around to the proper fitting session.

But, there are no mods to be made to the fairing itself, as everything "just fits"

Good luck, as there seems to be very little information available for this conversion so you are very much on your own.

Alan

7Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Alan
So it was you I was bidding against! Only kidding.
I see that Motorworks do a switch and lead but it is £34.
My father moved here from Wigan in the 50's followed by by his parents a few years later. They last lived in Kendal St. They are all gone now though.

8Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Comberjohn wrote:Hi Alan
So it was you I was bidding against! Only kidding.

This is the game on Ebay. You never know who you are bidding against.
One of us maybe seller and 2 of us could be buyers

9Back to top Go down   Electric screen conversion Empty Re: Electric screen conversion Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:55 pm

bigalfromwigan

Probably was me... I had to buy a screen blade and screws from Motorworks, and the price wasn't too "off the wall" but £34 for a switch and lead is a bit much, so I guess I will be off to my local electrical outlet and drilling out one of the blanks on my dashboard!

I wonder how much interest there would be if I took some pictures of my conversion and put them on here somewhere?

On other points - that's a bit strange, Wiganers tend to stay put and the Irish come here, so what happened there I wonder? Maybe some off-forum chat might solve that mystery. Send me a pm if you want to talk some more, and I'll let you have my email.

I don't think I was bidding again Crazy Frog though! I think the postage would have been a little too much.

Keep em shiny side up.

Alan

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum