BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty RT front brake line Sat May 31, 2014 5:51 pm

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
I'm in the process of doing an RS to RT handle bar conversion with the help of Robmack...The only piece I'm missing is the front brake line, does anyone know if I can just take an RT brake line and put it onto my RS?

2Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty Re: RT front brake line Sat May 31, 2014 6:18 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Which part are you talking about? From the callipers up or the bit between the steering head and the master cylinder? You could check the usual sites if the part number of what you have is applicable to the intended configuration?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland RT front brake line Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty Re: RT front brake line Sat May 31, 2014 6:23 pm

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:Which part are you talking about? From the callipers up or the bit between the steering head and the master cylinder? You could check the usual sites if the part number of what you have is applicable to the intended configuration?

From steering head to master cylinder...

4Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty Re: RT front brake line Sat May 31, 2014 6:49 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I don't think so, but as indicated - Look at REALOEM for the part for your bike, then go back to the first page and put that part no in and see if it was also applicable to an RT, then you know :-) (Or look in the RT section how long it should be).

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland RT front brake line Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty Re: RT front brake line Sat May 31, 2014 7:32 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Marty is looking for the line that goes from the MC to the union joint just below the RS-SE fairing.  From that union, the line goes to the left caliper.

I think it would be better to have a braided stainless steel line made up to replace the OEM components.  It can be as long as necessary to accommodate the RT bars, as well as improve the braking feel.

6Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty Re: RT front brake line Sat May 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
martyman wrote:The only piece I'm missing is the front brake line, does anyone know if I can just take an RT brake line and put it onto my RS?

The RS brake line is 142mm and the RT line is 249mm, it then would have the
shape of a slalom piste....doable, with fresh hoses it would be OK..with the 20+
 years old hoses on our bikes...I don't know if it's that smart.

7Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty Re: RT front brake line Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would use stainless braided hoses with a separate hose to each caliper from the bottom of the steering head and the top hose as well. They do seem to have a 20 year life as both our bikes are 20 years old and I have had a few lines fail recently and replaced all with stainless braided.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   RT front brake line Empty Re: RT front brake line Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:07 am

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:
martyman wrote:The only piece I'm missing is the front brake line, does anyone know if I can just take an RT brake line and put it onto my RS?

The RS brake line is 142mm and the RT line is 249mm, it then would have the
shape of a slalom piste....doable, with fresh hoses it would be OK..with the 20+
 years old hoses on our bikes...I don't know if it's that smart.

Slalom piste  Laughing  thank you for the information on the 249 mm

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum