BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

selly780

selly780
Hi all I am in the process of getting my K75RT back on the road. It has been starting first push of the switch and all seemed good. Took it for a spin down to the garage to get an MOT cert and it ran well, so was in the process of cleaning it up but now it fails to start. All indicators, lights, horn etc work but strangely the neutral light, fuel level indicator, gear position indicator are not working & the engine does not turn over on the button. I have visually checked the fuses and all seem ok. I took the RH switch assembly off and sprayed it with WD40 to disperse any water that may have got in as I did cautiously jet wash the worst of the dirt off the bike as it had been standing under a cover for a few months. But as I said it has been started and run occasionally and ran down to the garage without any issues. I have been searching for similar posts and I am going to check the main earth from the battery to the gear box tonight as some have suggested, but if it was a bad earth wouldn't it also prevent the lights working ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Warren ( England)

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you used a pressure washer which is not recommended on any K you may have got some water into the ECU and that can unfortunately cause big problems.  This is not an uncommon problem when using a pressure washer.
Try removing the plug from the ECU under the tool tray and the ICU which is behind the steering head and below the top frame tube and dry them out.  Also putting the ECU out in the sun for a few days may dry it out and let it live again.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
If the neutral light and gear indicator don't work, you have to pull the clutch in order to start the bike.
You certainly pressure washed the back of the swing arm and the gear position switch got wet. Over the years, the casing of the switch crack and is not water proof anymore.
Check this post to see how to open the switch.
You have to remove the swing arm to access the switch. Not an 1/2 job.

Indicators, lights, horn, brake lights all ok but no dash lights or ignition. Frog15Indicators, lights, horn, brake lights all ok but no dash lights or ignition. Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i recon your on the money there bert ..... good call !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

selly780

selly780
Thanks for your responses guys. I doubt the ECU got water into it as I did not wash anywhere near it but its possible the ICU got some water coming off the tank. I think with all instrument lights not working including when lights are on there is something else going on. Happy to hear more views. Thanks all

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Warren,

What lights do you get on the instrument panel when the ignition is turned on? 

With ignition off:
Indicators, lights, horn, brake lights all ok but no dash lights or ignition. Igniti10

If everything was working, when you turn on the ignition, you should get the following up prior to hitting the start button (low fuel light would illuminate too, if fuel low enough) - engine will start on pressing start button.
Indicators, lights, horn, brake lights all ok but no dash lights or ignition. Igniti11

If the kill switch is made (or faulty) you get just the following indication (and engine won't start)
Indicators, lights, horn, brake lights all ok but no dash lights or ignition. Igniti12

Of note, with ignition on and kill switch made, the side and headlight and indicators/hazard lights still work:
Indicators, lights, horn, brake lights all ok but no dash lights or ignition. Igniti13

From your description, it sounds like your fault lies with your kill switch (kills electrical power to ignition, fuel injection, fuel pump and starter motor).  If it was a problem with the gear position indicator, only the digital gear indication and neutral light would be out and as CF says, operating the clutch lever would allow the engine to be started.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

7Back to top Go down   Indicators, lights, horn, brake lights all ok but no dash lights or ignition. Empty Fault sorted thanks for all input Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:53 am

selly780

selly780
Embarassed damn fuse no.1 looked good but on closer inspection under a magnifying glass was blown doh. Bike started and ran ok this morning but did splutter a bit going up hill like it was running out of fuel - its not but it is a little low will investigate after work later today. Thanks all for your efforts to get me up and running again.

W

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
I'd suggest replacing the fuel filter and checking tank for contamination.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum