BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New bike woes Empty New bike woes Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:34 pm

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
Took my refreshed 85 K100 out for a maiden voyage. All was super for twenty five miles, then crap.
The bike started running rough. As long as I stayed in low rpm it did ok. But put it under load and it appeared to be running on half the cylinders.
Limped home. It would start back up, but run poorly.
I let it sit for a few hours. Started fine, ran fine for a couple of miles and then crap.
I'm thinking bad coils (original black ones). Does this seem like a logical conclusion?
If the coils misbehave when hot, will a check of the ohms while cold reveal a problem?

2Back to top Go down   New bike woes Empty Re: New bike woes Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 pm

billtr96sn

billtr96sn
Silver member
Silver member
The hall sensors are known to play up when hot, worth checking them (I don't know how, but others will)

3Back to top Go down   New bike woes Empty Re: New bike woes Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:53 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
As I was thinking.

POST FROM C.F.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

4Back to top Go down   New bike woes Empty Re: New bike woes Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Running poorly under load says coils to me as the Hall sensors tend to just stop working when the heat from the engine gets to them and then when cool will work fine. I would check the coils especially as they are the old grey type.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   New bike woes Empty Re: New bike woes Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:55 pm

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
Just got back to town from trip on R850R. Starter problems urrrgh!

Thanks for replies.
Checked coils . I get 10.62 both front and back. 2.6 both front and back. I see that the old model coils run about there, with the newer ones in the 12-13 range. So it looks like the next stop is my ignition trigger (hall effect).
I have an 87 that I can pull one from and try on the 85. Will alignment be an issue going from one bike to the other, or is it only a matter of not putting it on 180 degrees out?
Also, with the LT will I need to undue the tank trimmings or can I possibly unhook the wire under the tank in a more clever way?

6Back to top Go down   New bike woes Empty Re: New bike woes Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You cant get it 180° out because it is turning at crankshaft speed and if the V shape cut out and half moon cutaway are alligned all will be OK and within 1°.  Trust me I am NOT a politician. Very Happy

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum