BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   k1100 rs 1995 Empty k1100 rs 1995 Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:49 pm

sharpf8

sharpf8
hello,i am a new owner of a a k1100 rs 1995,when riding around town the temperature gauge sits at half way but as soon as i get on a good bit of road it instantly goes up to 3 quarters and higher.the temperature light does not come on,and the fan does cut in but when the gauge is in the red,all levels are good and the bike has done 98000 miles with impeccable history,it does not feel that hot to me to touch,should i be worried?any advise would be greatly appreciated,thank you for taking the time to read my post Wink

2Back to top Go down   k1100 rs 1995 Empty Re: k1100 rs 1995 Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:03 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome to the madhouse.......Heavy right wrist on the open road?

I would check the radiator for old debri, insects, old fork oil and such.....
if needed use a hose from the rearside of the radiator (no high pressure)
take care with the fan motor....it isn't that fond of water.

3Back to top Go down   k1100 rs 1995 Empty Re: k1100 rs 1995 Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:09 am

sharpf8

sharpf8
Inge K. wrote:Welcome to the madhouse.......Heavy right wrist on the open road?

I would check the radiator for old debri, insects, old fork oil and such.....
if needed use a hose from the rearside of the radiator (no high pressure)
take care with the fan motor....it isn't that fond of water.
thank you,is it common then?the rad is clear,will it do any damage as is?

4Back to top Go down   k1100 rs 1995 Empty Re: k1100 rs 1995 Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:20 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The 4V's is running rather hot so this sounds normal....but on mine the fan seldom turns on the open road....but quite often in slow moving traffic.

And that the fan starts first when you reach the red field in the gauge is normal.

5Back to top Go down   k1100 rs 1995 Empty Re: k1100 rs 1995 Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:21 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Over heating shows a problem and it needs to be dealt with.  Yes overheating will do damage.
To me it sounds like a lack of air flow through the radiator.
Does the temp drop quickly back to normal after an open road run.
I had to use degreaser on my K1100 to clean the fins as the fork oil had leaked back onto the radiator and it gathered a lot of dust.
The engine must be overheating because the fan coming on and the high reading on the gauge are from 2 separate senders.
It is possible the thermostat is not opening properly. Don't just take it out and leave it out, the thermostat needs to be there.
In the long run I would say that the radiator will have to come out.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum