BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

101Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun May 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Packo

Silver member
Silver member
Sorry, I have been using petrol oil in the bike and the diesel oil was for the freeing up of the Sprague, I haven't put it in as yet
Diesel oil I bought was just normal in house repco stuff

102Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon May 14, 2018 12:33 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
I've occasionally had the sprague clutch stick on both the K75 and K1100 - usually when they have been sitting for a while. Luckily I have been able to get going by jerking them backwards.

Nowadays I run Penrite engine flushing additive through them around every third oil change (5,000km intervals). One bottle (I think around $12) does two flushes. You just add it prior to the oil change - run around for 15 minutes or so then drain while hot and do your change and new filter.

No problems on either bike since I have been doing that.

Cheers

103Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon May 14, 2018 4:16 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the in house stuff will work packo

I usually use a diesel oil ever 3rd or 4th oil change ...and really cant remember last time I had a sprag  slip ...was years ago now

last couple of years there has been big gaps in ride events ..sadly ...but still no issue with this method

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

104Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Season is ending and my bike is going into storage in a few days, but yesterday the starter didn’t engage so I’ll be fixing this during winter, however I forgot a couple of things since last time I fixed it.

1. Do I turn engine clockwise when turning to find the next hole to spray?

2. Some of you mention a carborator cleaningspray as a better choice then WD 40. Can any one post a picture of a world wide sold brand?

3. Do I drain all oil before I take off the engine cover (I’m pretty sure I do).

4. After spraying WD 40 or carborator cleaningspray for about 30 times over a couple of days, do I fill in oil and start engine (and how long) and drain oil again to get any loose grit, from the spray clutch out?

5. Several mention diesel oil, is better the “normal oil” what kind?

105Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:34 pm

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
rawdonball wrote:The only potential mark against use of diesel oils in a petrol engine that I have been able to dig up, is the fact that some diesel engine oils might have a formulation that will result in the catalytic converter being 'poisoned' (if you have one). Obviously doesn't apply to our vintage Ks
 That is true because of the higher zinc concentration in diesel oil.

Zinc was reduced in all oils but particularly in petrol oil. This is also why JASO came out with the MA2 standard. Designed for a wet clutch and a catalytic converter. Shell Rotella has MA2 certification. I use Rotella T6 synthetic in my K1600 and regular Rotella in my V65.

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

106Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:08 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
So fare all I can find here in Denmark is Helifix (Shell). No Rotella.

107Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:33 am

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
I know nothing about chemical engineering, but I think that any diesel oil will have high levels of detergent.  That should be useful in resolving sprague clutch issues, no matter what the brand or name on the bottle.

108Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
brickrider2 wrote:I know nothing about chemical engineering, but I think that any diesel oil will have high levels of detergent.  That should be useful in resolving sprague clutch issues, no matter what the brand or name on the bottle.

I’m sure but a guru on this site just did send me a messenger and told me to forget about the diesel oil and use the oil I’m using now.

Any way bike is ready for the WD40 clean out and then it’ll go in winter storage and hopefully everything will be peachy April 2019.

All I need now is the tourgh (nm pressure when I put the engine cover back on).

109Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 3 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Have you changed your oil yet?  If not, throw a bottle of a good engine solvent like SeaFoam in the crankcase and take the bike out for a 30km ride.  Then do your oil change.  That worked nicely for me.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content