BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mtndv8

mtndv8
Geetings all,

I quick searched through here and other sites but didn't find an easy answer to this...

Saw a used '96 K1100RS lower fairing, with a road rash, for a good price on the big-E auction site and wondering if it would fit my 85 RS or fit any early model K100 for that matter. No other mounting hardware is offered but the piece look very similar to mine from the pictures posted online.

I don't need one but the price is right and I see they came with a NACA duct in the bottom of it and thought that if for no other reason than it fits, I'd like that feature alone towards better cooling.

Does anyone know if it bolts up or what the fitment for that would entail??

Thanks all!!
Michael

Last edited by mtndv8 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:22 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected noob model mistakes...)

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Not quite sure what you are looking at Michael is it a K100RS part or an R100RS (Boxer and the very last of the old airheads) part which aren't the same.
The fairing upper for a K100RS and RT are different and so the lowers don't swap very easily.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

mtndv8

mtndv8
RicK G wrote:Not quite sure what you are looking at Michael is it a K100RS part or an R100RS (Boxer and the very last of the old airheads) part which aren't the same.
The fairing upper for a K100RS and RT are different and so the lowers don't swap very easily.

Thanks Rick, and sorry for the confusing typo!
It was for a 1996 K1100RS lower fairing. There are actually several of these available.

Again just wondering if it would bolt up as I like the the idea of the NACA duct in the bottom to help cooling and rather than add one to my '85 lower fairing I would have something a little more functional and different/unique.
If there is a chance it would fit with minimal fitment issues I'd give it a shot. Besides, if it didn't work out I could resell the re-finished piece.

Thanks!

Last edited by mtndv8 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected noob model mistakes...)

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It wont fit with minimal work and I sure would not like to try I think big mods to it and the K100RS fairing

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

mtndv8

mtndv8
RicK G wrote:It wont fit with minimal work and I sure would not like to try I think big mods to it and the K100RS fairing
Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

I have to pull all my fairings off this winter to refinish the damaged areas anyway and was thinking I'd add a vent to that area. I'll look at other options now.

Thanks again.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You would also need the side parts (and probably mountings) from a K1100RS.
In my opinion the OEM engine spoiler for the K100RS have a much nicer design.

mtndv8

mtndv8
Inge K. wrote:You would also need the side parts (and probably mountings) from a K1100RS.
In my opinion the OEM engine spoiler for the K100RS have a much nicer design.

Thanks Inge! It might have been (ok, it was) a silly thought. I posted on it before researching better.

The '85 does look good, no question. Was reminded of it again yesterday at the gas station when the lady inside taking my money came out afterward to check it out. She couldn't believe it was a 30 year old bike.

I am looking into finding something like this and adding it to mine...

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-werks-C42-017-4-NACA-Duct/dp/B003NE2HBK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1411485629&sr=1-1&keywords=naca+ducts

...or not. Still debating. Thanks very much for your response!

Michael

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I see in your new avatar that it look like you allready have the OEM engine spoiler.
Keep it like that, the OEM spoiler suits the RS very good.....in my opinion.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I recently dragged an in-white belly pan back to OZ in my checked luggage and rattle canned a coupla quick coats of primer then satin black all over it. It, in my opinion, tidies up the under-engine area of my RS nicely. If I'd had it squirted in the arrest-me-red of the rest of the fairing it would have been too much.

'92-'96 K1100RS lower belly fairing on a '85 K100RS?? Imag0711

mtndv8

mtndv8
Ok; so I made very low, token offer on the K1100RS lower fairing and surpisingly the seller accepted so I'm now the proud owner of a piece I may or may not use.

Here are a couple mock-up pics...

'92-'96 K1100RS lower belly fairing on a '85 K100RS?? 002

'92-'96 K1100RS lower belly fairing on a '85 K100RS?? 001

I am a big fan of the classic BMW grill look and think I'll explore trimming the piece to fit more like the '85 piece (exposed side covers) as well as molding and shaping a way to blend the OEM '85 upper fairing to the traditional grill area.

I'll post pics as I make progress.

M.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum