BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:34 pm

mvhyde

mvhyde
I bought my K100LT a couple of months ago and the first thing that I noticed (it drove me crazy for a couple of days) was the heat shield on the muffler was vibrating at various RPM levels.

I contacted the Denver area BMW dealer and was told the kits might be available, but they wanted $279.96 + tax up front to order it in. I said no way.

I went down to Lowe's and found some heat-resistant rubber flat washers. They were $.92 cents a pack of two. I bought 5 packs so I'd have spares. 5 washers later, a little hard work on a couple of them and DONE! no vibrating heat shield!

You have to get the hi-temp rubber washers though. They act as a vibration dampener (like a lot of other areas on the K-bike series).

2Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
The front one is supposed to be an anti-vibration fitting as standard but mine fell apart after about 42,000 miles. I took the heatshield off  Cool

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:03 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
279 is robbery.
well done with the rubber washers  Very Happy

k-rider

4Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Another fix for the steering I found Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:14 pm

mvhyde

mvhyde
I found a fix online for the "mushy" steering issue and that was to use bronze or brass washers above and below the rubber dampener on the tree.

5Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:22 pm

tgolden

tgolden
Silver member
Silver member
BMW made some changes to the K100 ('85 to '89) muffler heat shield design, but they were all unsatisfactory in my opinion. The early heat shields would vibrate loose consistently. After retightening the mounting nuts several times, the mounting brackets on the muffler would break off. My solution was to upgrade to a Luftmeister muffler and subsequently to a Staintune muffler. I've never had an issue with muffler vibration since. The bike looks better too.

6Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:45 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Is that still and option?  Do Staintune offer silencers for our old bikes?

7Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:12 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
don't think they have been made for years and years

whats out there is it

valuable piece of hardware if one can be found

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:36 pm

tgolden

tgolden
Silver member
Silver member
Unfortunately, Luftmeister is out of business and Staintune doesn't make early K-bike mufflers any more, but Motorworks UK offers a nice looking muffler or silencer for the K-Bike. See the link below:

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=40&Ct=KA&SbCt=BA_15_40_KA_65

I think this muffler is comparable to the Staintune. If my Staintune ever gets damaged, I'd replace it with this British made stainless steel muffler.

Regards

PS

A Black or Silver Ceramic exhaust is available from RB Racing, but the cost is $995.00 USD. This system is complete from the head as opposed to the slip-on style of Staintune or Motorworks. See the link below. RB Racing was the designer of most of the Luftmeister performance products. I like the Staintune or Motorworks in stainless steel better. As I mentioned, I had a Luftmeister exhaust that was similar to the RB Racing Black Hole Exhaust. I don't like the ceramic finish, because it's difficult to maintain to like-new appearance. The stainless steel exhausts can be buffed and polished to like-new appearance.

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhole/bmwk100exhausts.html

My original BMW K100 exhaust was replaced under the three-year BMW warranty, because the local BMW dealer attempted to repair the broken heat shield mounts with spot welding twice. The spot welds didn't hold. At the time I replaced my BMW exhaust, I had the Luftmeister installed and held onto the new BMW muffler as a spare. I later sold it as NOS. If the heat shield mounts don't fail, then the heat shield develops cracks. I think that BMW exhaust with heat shield was just a poor design.

9Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Exaust heat shield Sun May 06, 2018 5:24 am

Rockerdog

Rockerdog
Hi guys
I have the same problem- irritating noice.
Some of you have removed the shield- is that a problem.
Does it melt the sidebox?
Regards
Bo

10Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Sun May 06, 2018 7:14 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
No. I think BMW put it on there just to look pretty. I took it off both of my Ks without a problem.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

11Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
My K100 has a Lufty and I also have a black Motad in a box in the garage as a backup.  Doesn't Motad in the UK still make K100 2V exhausts?

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

12Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Re: K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Sun May 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
They went TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Production) in March last year. But why would you want to replace a stainless system with a chrome one that will rot?

13Back to top Go down   K bike heat shield fix - EASY! Empty Exhaust shield Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 am

Rockerdog

Rockerdog
Tanx guys
I removed the shield and got a brand new bike!
Sounds like one, anyway.
Ride on.
Regards 
Bo

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum