BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Fuel warning lights Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 pm

paulespo

paulespo
Fuel warning on the instrument panel have been disconnected. I have a new Fuel Gage coming to replace the leaking one that is on the tank now.
I would like to know if I connect the plug that goes to the tank to the new Fuel gage will the lights work?

And can any one tell me what are the little fuel thing are in the middle of the tank that have not been connected and can I just cap them. 
 The VIN # is THFSC49W97A502076

Fuel warning lights 15414070912_902bfc58f2_b

Last edited by paulespo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:43 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Ad a line)

2Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Paul, it would help if you posted your vin for your bike. The reason for this is that the fuel tank changed in about 1985 and therefore the connections for fuel sender lights. The early bikes had 2 warning lights...5 and 7 litres to go and the newer one only one light.

3Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:45 am

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
ainsjac wrote:..5 and 7 litres to go and the newer one only one light.

I'm sure mine is 7 then 4

But then as the fuel sloshes about so much with all the lights flashing 7 then 4 then 7 or maybe 4 round that roundabout, I supose it doesn't really matter. Laughing

But I think this was eliminated on the 1986 onwards

Last edited by the.postman on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

4Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:57 am

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
ainsjac wrote:Paul, it would help if you posted your vin for your bike. The reason for this is that the fuel tank changed in about 1985 and therefore the connections for fuel sender lights. The early bikes had 2 warning lights...5 and 7 litres to go and the newer one only one light.
At what point does the newer one go on please ??

5Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:29 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
supposed to be about 4 litres for the newer version

but that may differ  with manhandled float arm adjustments and fuel pump replacement etc

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:14 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I understand it was in 1985. Correction..yes 4 litres rather than 5. The only way to check which tank you have is that the early ones had the sender unit on the left front (as you are sitting on the bike) and the older ones are on the right hand side. The later ones have an electrical connecter which should be just below the tray under your seat...on the right front.
If you have the original instruments on the bike...easy......2 fuel lights with 2 numbers is the early bike....2 fuel lights with one number is the newer bike.
I have 2 bikes...1983 and 1987...amazing how many things were changed...even though they may look the same.

7Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:02 am

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
ainsjac wrote:I understand it was in 1985. Correction..yes 4 litres rather than 5. The only way to check which tank you have is that the early ones had the sender unit on the left front (as you are sitting on the bike) and the older ones are on the right hand side. The later ones have an electrical connecter which should be just below the tray under your seat...on the right front.
If you have the original instruments on the bike...easy......2 fuel lights with 2 numbers is the early bike....2 fuel lights with one number is the newer bike.
I have 2 bikes...1983 and 1987...amazing how many things were changed...even though they may look the
Thanks for all of that. Well, looks like I am ok on everything now. I have an 89 tank with 87 instruments so its all good

8Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:30 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
paulespo wrote: I have a new Fuel Gage coming to replace the leaking one that is on the tank now.
Have you checked the gasket in the old level sensor?

paulespo wrote: I would like to know if I connect the plug that goes to the tank to the new Fuel gage will the lights work?
Depends on what's the reason it don't function now, some find this warning
lights annoying and disconnect this circuits...which can be done at several
places....also the PCB or the bulbs could be removed.

As allready others have mentioned it's different versions of the level sensor
from Your avatar I see that you got a -83-85 model so I'll guess you have
the early thermistor sensor (changeover early -85) which was in two
different versions, 7+4L and only 4L with a delay circuit.
Connector underside the tank, front, left.

Later float version 5L, connector at a pigtail on the rear end of the tank.

9Back to top Go down   Fuel warning lights Empty Re: Fuel warning lights Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I did not know that I had a pigtail down there....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum