BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Damned green starter button! Grrr... Empty Damned green starter button! Grrr... Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:38 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Ok. The starter button self destructed the other day on the RS, so I replaced it from the one on Barge Arse ('87 RT).

Go to work this morning and "PING", the button pooped itself all over the car park. Took me ages to find the spring. Didn't find what was left of the button until lunch time...after someone drove over it.

So, I believe this green button is the same on all K bikes (K100/1100/1200) and I don't need to say "Correct me if I'm wrong", that's a given. Very Happy

Ya can't buy the button by itself (?).

People have made their own. Details please...not just "I bought one from so-and-so and bunged it on".

One guy on here has made them with a 3D printer thingo. My ignorance with the language has stopped me from purchasing one. I must try harder...

So, if you have modded some weird button or whatever, please detail it here as I believe there are a lot of busted starter buttons out there.

Thanks in advance.

blaKey. 

(if I find a satisfactory answer, I promise, for one whole year, I will not have a go at anyone if they have white zip ties showing in photos of their bike)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Kap'n Holister

Damned green starter button! Grrr... New_st10

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Here's the thread
https://www.k100-forum.com/t8541-replacement-starter-button

Been on there 6 months now. Doesn't look like its coming off. Given it a bit of a prod but seems fairly fixed in place.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Damned green starter button! Grrr... Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks folks!

I'm going to try and source a good one to see if I can take it to a mob who will produce a 3D digital model and get it printed.

In the mean time, I'll see if I can chase-up a bung from a syringe.

I was going to say "Shouldn't take me long, as I work in Caboolture", but I won't.

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
blaKey wrote:Thanks folks!

I'm going to try and source a good one to see if I can take it to a mob who will produce a 3D digital model and get it printed.

In the mean time, I'll see if I can chase-up a bung from a syringe.

I was going to say "Shouldn't take me long, as I work in Caboolture", but I won't.
You'll need a digital file to make a digital print. If you can find someone to scan an original button or get a 3D drawing made you could make a print.
My nephew's work has a 3D printer. I'll ask him what's the go with that.

My local pharmacy give me syringes when I need them.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I thought about a stick of green plastic and make some on the lathe but I would need to spend a lot of time making some special tools.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
blast, sad to hear blakey

if you fail at getting something suitable pretty quick give me a yell and we can mock up another type of button and connect it up to the important places,  for a keep on running type solution ?

so far im free on this weekend   as far as I know .

but need to get parts if doing so ....just a few hours notice Thursday ???

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Kaptain, Rick and Charlie.

I'm going to the BM Shop tomorrow to see what I can scrounge.

But there is a place at Geebung that does this whole 3D scanning and printing thing so I'll see which arm and leg they want as payment.

If it's possible and not too stoopidly priced, I'll get a few done...and I'll see if they can put the BMW roundel on them so I can flog 'em off to you mob and make a bloody huge profit. Twisted Evil

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ouch that sounds expensive already mate ....

good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Huge profit??....eerrrr... count me out Laughing Laughing

Materials will be important because it needs to be pliable

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Pliable?

Please explain?

It's a 3 part button isn't it? The "cap", the spring and the "shaft". Yes/no?

I thought it needs to be rigid (snort, giggle).

The cap snaps onto the shaft?

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I only had my machine a little while when the button fell off so to be honest I just assumed it was a pliable button on the outer... I didn't take a really close look at it in that short time... I was only young and foolish and I wasn't paying attention... I didn't do it. It was the other guy!!!  Laughing Laughing Laughing

When my green button flew off the shaft stayed inside (snort, giggle). I couldn't get it out so I just glued a rubber piece over the top. So thinking about it now, the shaft and button are the one piece???

If it's all one piece of rigid plastic, I could probably do a CAD drawing of it if you have some measurements. Just need to draw a cross-section and then rotate  I'm pretty sure they could 3D print that providing I can export it in the correct file format.

I'm waiting for my nephew to get back to me. He has a 3D printer in his lab to make parts for his nuclear accelerator...  Shocked

Cheers

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Update...

Impossible to buy just the green button/red paddle setup. All wreckers want to sell you the whole switch assembly.

The original setup was made using an inferior plastic, so when our bikes are sitting in the sun, the plastic degrades rapidly...as we all know too well.

There was a change of plastic with the later K100's (1992?), 1100's, R1100's and the K1's, if I remember correctly. Much sturdier than the original. The K1 button/paddle fits like a glove.

So, if you are looking for a replacement, look to see if the plastic is a shade darker than than the original and the plastic looks a bit "denser".

To make a 3D scan and have it made will be damn near impossible, as there is a piece of copper placed around the shaft and the end of the shaft.

Here's a photo of a 1992 K100 button/paddle:

Damned green starter button! Grrr... K100_110

I hope this helps.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum