BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty engine protection bars - fitting on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:32 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Hi all,

Trying to mount my crash bars and they dont want to go on straight.

Can those that have them fitted please post some pics of the various mounts? Particularly the left.

The parts diagram is vague on the left hand mount. 

cheers


__________________________________________________
K100 with lots of K1100 bits - mongrel of a thing...
    

2Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty Re: engine protection bars - fitting on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Could be that you have got a very early version?, which didn't have rubber at the bottom mountings.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

3Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty Re: engine protection bars - fitting on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
[Edit] Guilt at 01.00 hours is a terrible thing... Shocked engine protection bars - fitting 44271 Complete post re-edit with pics for anyone that read the TL;DR original!!

As Inge says, the original crashbar design bolts directly to the sump at the rear. Don't use them; BMW re-designed them into the later fully-rubber mounted type because impact stresses were shattering sumps. The later crashbars are recognisable because the leftside lower mounts have a cast piece at the front and a tube at the rear, whereas the early ones have flattened ears (same as the rightside which has flattened ears on both early and late versions). Also, the early type require a triangular mounting piece on the leftside which isn't required with the later style crashbars. OEM Parts shows the early type. That's my experience: someone else may have other information.

Caveat here: it's an 8mm thread on the rubber mounts. Getting the nuts over the threads inside the crashbar mounts requires a quarter-inch drive 13mm socket because there's no room for anything else (except perhaps a box spanner). If the nut rusts on then there's a high chance that the socket will round off/shatter. I put a 20mm deep 8mm thread inside a length of 13mm hex bar (approx 30mm long) and used that instead of a nut on both lower mounts. It means I can get a standard half-inch drive socket on the end.

First pic is the leftside lower. Sorry about all the sheep and cow poo obscuring most of the engine, so I've outlined the mounting blocks. The engine shadows are hiding my extended nuts.

engine protection bars - fitting Cb1

Second pic is the rightside just for reference. The rear rubber mount is just visible below and behind the rear crashbar nut.

engine protection bars - fitting Cb2

I can't show the top mounts as they are inside the fairing and 01.00 hours guilt isn't that powerful.

Just to remove any confusion on the second pic: you don't have another screw/bolt below the front mounting. On mine, the rubber block started to come adrift from the mounting bar that bolts to the sump, so I cleaned it, glued it and then put a 5mm screw through it for good measure.



Last edited by Dai on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:40 pm; edited 4 times in total


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

4Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty Re: engine protection bars - fitting on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:25 pm

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
3/8 drive socket will go inside the bar for the top mount.


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki
    

5Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty Re: engine protection bars - fitting on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@Dai wrote:As Inge says, the original crashbar design bolts directly to the sump at the rear. Don't use them; BMW re-designed them into the later fully-rubber mounted type because impact stresses were shattering sumps. The later crashbars are recognisable because the leftside lower mounts have a cast piece at the front and a tube at the rear, whereas the early ones have flattened ears (same as the rightside which has flattened ears on both early and late versions). Also, the early type require a triangular mounting piece on the leftside which isn't required with the later style crashbars. OEM Parts shows the early type. That's my experience: someone else may have other information.

With this info it seems to even one more version, the very early I have in mind
all four bolts is mounted directly in the sump.
And the triangular plate on the left hand side is also used on later models.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

6Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty Re: engine protection bars - fitting on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:49 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks all for the info.

I have ended up mounting the LHS by using the rubberised doubled ended bolts at all three mount points. 

Inge, i cant for the life of me figure out how the triangle plate thingy works. I have 1 here, and it does not seem to fit with the crash bars I have. I have the spacer that the triangle bracket needs etc and it mounts to the sump fine but the holes in it do not line up with where the crash bars holes are. 

The crash bars I have are the newer style I believe. 

Anyways, I have them mounted now using the factory bracket on the RHS (I need a new one too, the rubber is coming away) and the LHS using only the rubberised bolts. (as pictured by Dai, thanks mate)

The top mounts presented no drama as I used the suitable engine mount bolts when I assembled the beast in anticipation of using the crash bars. I also have a full range of sockets/drives and long T handle hex drivers too. However I now realise I am going to need to carry a tool specifically to remove those top nuts, if I ever need to out in the field. Say I have a spill and break some rubber mounts and I need to remove the bars to replace the bolts with the spares I have and will carry....bit of a pain...


__________________________________________________
K100 with lots of K1100 bits - mongrel of a thing...
    

7Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty Re: engine protection bars - fitting on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@floyd wrote:
Inge, i cant for the life of me figure out how the triangle plate thingy works. I have 1 here, and it does not seem to fit with the crash bars I have. I have the spacer that the triangle bracket needs etc and it mounts to the sump fine but the holes in it do not line up with where the crash bars holes are. 

The crash bars I have are the newer style I believe. 

It seems to be a lot of different versions out there.....on my 11LT with factory
mounted bars the triangular plate is used.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

8Back to top Go down   engine protection bars - fitting Empty Re: engine protection bars - fitting on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:00 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
@Inge K. wrote:
@floyd wrote:
Inge, i cant for the life of me figure out how the triangle plate thingy works. I have 1 here, and it does not seem to fit with the crash bars I have. I have the spacer that the triangle bracket needs etc and it mounts to the sump fine but the holes in it do not line up with where the crash bars holes are. 

The crash bars I have are the newer style I believe. 

It seems to be a lot of different versions out there.....on my 11LT with factory
mounted bars the triangular plate is used.

Maybe I pulled the plate off the K1100 engine....perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.


__________________________________________________
K100 with lots of K1100 bits - mongrel of a thing...
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum