BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty For Marky Boy OZ Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Marky Boy OZ wrote:
Mate I just saw an image of your bike...

What size Alternator are you running?
where do all the relays fit?????    Smile

Thought it would be better to shift an answer to here Very Happy

Full load (including heated grips) is just shy of 32amps, but that's a bit too close to the output of the original alternator. I switched that for a 50amp one from an LT but that didn't last a week before I gutted it and fitted the insides of a later 60amp from an RT (I think) just to see if I could. I could.

The relays are all in the sandwich box.

For Marky Boy OZ Lt1

Controls are in the dashpad. The green one is the aux headlight and the blue one is the spotlights. The green one used to be small and neat like the blue one but its original green filter got knocked off by my keys. All four rockers have internal illumination by LED.

For Marky Boy OZ Lt2

The wiring on mine is a bit of a mess because it was never planned, hence the multiple cables coming off the relay panel. I've recently finished a DIY kit for a friend in Wales which is a lot neater. Rather than use dashpad switches again (it was a real pain to figure those out and the source of most of the wiring mess) he was happy to go for a panel mounted in the fairing. Fog - orange, aux lights - green and spots - blue.

For Marky Boy OZ Lt3

It hooks into the original K loom on the leftside connector under the fuel tank  where I pick up yellow-white for the lights power control, white for hi-dip and also at the additional power connector where I use the blue-grey wire to switch the fog light/heated grips/power takeoff relay. Both bikes have additional LED strips in the tail light; the switch you can see on the relay panels changes the LED strips from tail-light to brake light (or the other way) in the event of an inconvenient filament failure.

Yes, I do enjoy playing!! Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

2Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:20 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
For the LED strips in the tail light, if you put a diode in the feed from the brake light to the LEDs, you don't need a switch.

3Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:20 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
It wouldn't work for me because I ride with the sidelights on all the time. The LEDs are normally switched to the sidelight position because the OEM reflector leaves a lot to be desired; one item on my to-do list is to figure out how to get the lens off the tail-light assembly without breaking it. Then I can respray the 'reflector'.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

4Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:It wouldn't work for me because I ride with the sidelights on all the time. The LEDs are normally switched to the sidelight position because the OEM reflector leaves a lot to be desired; one item on my to-do list is to figure out how to get the lens off the tail-light assembly without breaking it. Then I can respray the 'reflector'.

I also ride with the lights on all the time. The Leds are fed through a 100 ohm resistor from the tail light, which leaves them at "tail light" brightness, and through a diode from the brake light, which brings them up to "brake light" brightness. Two in one job, and no need for a switch.

5Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Gotcha! Very Happy

6Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:11 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Mate.......

Worked on this today.....

For Marky Boy OZ 4492bda0803d53d10160da42965749a4 For Marky Boy OZ 381c126c5e497a164e1224f2668e2c32 For Marky Boy OZ A827bbc85d7d74fa9f790a415517b43c

For Marky Boy OZ Au-log12
http://www.marksurman.com

7Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:14 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work mark

looks ok too

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:19 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Charlie, why are you not working on Gerty?
Still the petrol tank connector block......

9Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:25 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no mate ran out of light again
and a stuffed battery ..9 volts on crank s the best I can get ....wont start the fuel pump

but cleanup is happening in preparation ...along the way....  more to come

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Dai wrote:
Marky Boy OZ wrote:
Mate I just saw an image of your bike...

What size Alternator are you running?
where do all the relays fit?????    Smile

Thought it would be better to shift an answer to here Very Happy

Full load (including heated grips) is just shy of 32amps, but that's a bit too close to the output of the original alternator. I switched that for a 50amp one from an LT but that didn't last a week before I gutted it and fitted the insides of a later 60amp from an RT (I think) just to see if I could. I could.

The relays are all in the sandwich box.

For Marky Boy OZ Lt1

Controls are in the dashpad. The green one is the aux headlight and the blue one is the spotlights. The green one used to be small and neat like the blue one but its original green filter got knocked off by my keys. All four rockers have internal illumination by LED.

For Marky Boy OZ Lt2

The wiring on mine is a bit of a mess because it was never planned, hence the multiple cables coming off the relay panel. I've recently finished a DIY kit for a friend in Wales which is a lot neater. Rather than use dashpad switches again (it was a real pain to figure those out and the source of most of the wiring mess) he was happy to go for a panel mounted in the fairing. Fog - orange, aux lights - green and spots - blue.

For Marky Boy OZ Lt3

It hooks into the original K loom on the leftside connector under the fuel tank  where I pick up yellow-white for the lights power control, white for hi-dip and also at the additional power connector where I use the blue-grey wire to switch the fog light/heated grips/power takeoff relay. Both bikes have additional LED strips in the tail light; the switch you can see on the relay panels changes the LED strips from tail-light to brake light (or the other way) in the event of an inconvenient filament failure.

Yes, I do enjoy playing!! Very Happy
Mate, firstly - Merry Christmas !
Secondly I'm a little embarrassed in that I did not properly thank you for the post - and congratulate you on your exacting work.
As you can see in my previous post  - I did some work yesterday to get my driving lights working, this was successful. When I took the bike for a road test I ran out of "volts" real quick - I know this as I have a Volt meter.. Very Happy  All the good it did me.... "Bluey" is new to me - she has been off the road for 4 months while I did things that had to be done as well as things I wanted to do. In the short time I rode the bike before pulling her off the road I had a bad feeling about the ALT. Its the one thing I did not pull off and inspect, this has nagged at me until last night when I was on the side of the road dead as a door nail. Sat quietly for 10 mins, clutch started her and opened her up to get home without touching the brakes or indicators, (The Fuzz hate my guts to mate)......
I was a little bummed out yesterday - So, once again - thanks !   I will hold you to that pint........

11Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
No problem Mark. Have a good and peaceful New Year.

12Back to top Go down   For Marky Boy OZ Empty Re: For Marky Boy OZ Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Ummm....

LEDS - The future is upon us......

I've gone over the the light side.....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: